Is it too late for me?...

I'm 14 I've been riding for 2 yearsish, serious riding for 1 year and I got rid of my 125 4 stroke for a rm 85 2 stroke a few months back. So yesterday I started really riding at a mx track. And I loved it. Crashed pretty bad too. And all though I'm sore as all hell writing this "the full pain of it didn't come until after I got home" I realized I want to be serious About mx. Like I really do but I'm the only one in my family who rides. I Always see people riding at the track I. The woods I go to. Should I approach them about it? Is it too late for someone my age to get anywhere in motorcross/supper cross. They all seem to have been riding there whole life. Am I too late? I have so many questions, anyone know someone who is on a somewhat far scale of mx who can tell me what I should do to make up for lost time. I'm really looking to get into this but I don't know if I'm ever going to have a fighting chance when I actually start racing.

It's definitely not too late. I'm sure there's a lot of people who've been doing it their whole lives but there's also a lot that have started at ages older than you. 

I don't do motocross but I'm 18 and just signed up to do harescrambles/enduro in the spring, don't feel too old at all. 

2 hours ago, brando brap@youtube.com said:

I'm 14 I've been riding for 2 yearsish, serious riding for 1 year and I got rid of my 125 4 stroke for a rm 85 2 stroke a few months back. So yesterday I started really riding at a mx track. And I loved it. Crashed pretty bad too. And all though I'm sore as all hell writing this "the full pain of it didn't come until after I got home" I realized I want to be serious About mx. Like I really do but I'm the only one in my family who rides. I Always see people riding at the track I. The woods I go to. Should I approach them about it? Is it too late for someone my age to get anywhere in motorcross/supper cross. They all seem to have been riding there whole life. Am I too late? I have so many questions, anyone know someone who is on a somewhat far scale of mx who can tell me what I should do to make up for lost time. I'm really looking to get into this but I don't know if I'm ever going to have a fighting chance when I actually start racing.

If you decide you want to race MX then you should commit to having fun not "getting anywhere in Supercross". I suggest you learn proper skills from the Riding Techniques forum. Gary Semics is one of the best to learn from. Make sure you have all the proper gear when you ride and don't ride over your head. Find a racing family at the track and introduce your parents to them. I'm sure they can guide you through the proper channels to get a racing licence and help your parents get you started.

Very few people can make a living in the sport but you can have a lifetime of fun if you're committed to it. 

It's nowhere near too late for you. When you are at the track just be friendly and you WILL meet people who will give you pointers and help you out. Making a living riding MX is a rough way to go but it can be done. Persistence and determination will see you through and give you the best chance at realizing your goal. 

Never to late. I started at 17 never made pro but did make it to expert and had loads of fun on way there. First few years were so fun. Just keep riding and make the best you can out of it. Start slow work your way up. "Race to race again " seen alot of kids come and go

Thanks I don't expect to make a career out of if it though but I do want to try and get good

1 minute ago, brando brap@youtube.com said:

Thanks I don't expect to make a career out of if it though but I do want to try and get good

Ride with faster riders and listen to what they say. If you're competitive you'll progress up threw.some just settle witch is ok . Havingfun is what it's all about 🏁👍👍 goodluck 

before you stress out about it too much,

loving riding, and loving racing are two completely different things 

as are racing for fun and racing for a championship

figure out if you even like to race

7 hours ago, brando brap@youtube.com said:

That's it then .... case closed. It's not too late.  You're 14! -  I've got underwear that old!

1) Learn the right techniques early in your development. Bad habits are hard to break.

2) Practice, practice and more practice.

Better get your parents on board for this plan. There is gonna be considerable time and money involved.

Edited by gatorfan

I did not ride on my first motocross track until I was 16, and I did not race for the first time until I was 17.  I was racing in the Expert class (500 two strokes) by the time I was 21.  You just have to love it.  If you don't love it, it can burn you out in a hurry and make all riding miserable.  

It also helps to find some guys that are older (as in 30+) that are there for fun and are willing to help "show you the ropes."  My family met a three guys at the track who were more than willing to take the time to follow my brother and I around to give us pointers, and to help "pull" us over jumps (riding in front so we knew how fast to go) when first starting out.  For them, it was a break from when they were riding their fast motos for practice and could roll around on their bikes and follow us.  We rode with them for a year before doing our first actual MX race.

I am still good friends with those individuals to this day.

For the record, my dad started racing motocross when I did which would put him at 44 years old the first time he lined up behind the gate.  It is NEVER too late to start racing if that is what you want to do.

if there is a will there is a way, never to late for anything.

Gotta find an old sandpit and put in countless motos there too

Met two very kind guys today taught me a lot

10 minutes ago, brando brap@youtube.com said:

Met two very kind guys today taught me a lot

You'll always have something in comon with dirtbikes.  What makes them great 🏁