25 Year Old [F] Driving from CO to AZ with Dirt Bike - Best place to stay?

I currently live in CO and I'm trying to drive my dirt bike down to Parker, AZ from Denver over the weekend. 

I can't make the trip all in 1 go so I'm trying to leave around 2PM from Denver on a Thursday and hopefully stay in Albuquerque, NM.  I'm worried about my bike being stolen and trying to figure out the best way to keep her safe.  

Any recommendations?  I'm an avid camper so I don't mind sleeping outside in my truck in the cold.  I was looking at motels in Albuquerque and can pay round $60-70 to stay.  

Here's what I'm thinking:

1.  Stay at campground and sleep in truck -- not sure I see the point in this.  It's not like I'm going to defend my bike if someone tries to steal it.  Though they may be deterred by hassle.

2.  Stay at motel -- buy some type of chain.  I have a hitch mount for the bike and and old truck.  I guess I can somehow chain the bike/mount to the.. truck? 

3.  Stay at motel -- try to get first floor and bring bike in motel with me 

4.  Find drugs.  Do entire 16 hour drive in 1 go. 

• Like 2

I've done some cross country drives and prefer to rest only in areas that are safe:

Never at a rest stop and I always worry about car vandalism when staying at motels (I often hitch carry my dirt bike).

Safest are the truck stops, 2nd choice are Walmart parking lots because they have surveillance camera.

Truck stops like flying J usually have a RV transit parking area in front with the gas pumps so you can avoid parking among the semi trucks.   Still a bit noisy from all of the car traffic but it does quiet down later in the night.  

You can do an online search for truck stops or http://www.dieselboss.com/Fuel_020917WA.pdf

The pdf has exit number for truck stops.

At 25 years old, it shouldn't be too hard to drive straight through.  16 hours isn't too tough.  Leave around 2 am after getting some sleep and make stops for food and coffee.  You will arrive with your bike, and will have saved the money for the motel.  A few years ago, at the age of 58, I went non stop from Texas to SoCal.  Took me 26 hours.  That was tough, and I would never do it again.  But 16 hours is doable.

24 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

I've done some cross country drives and prefer to rest only in areas that are safe:

Never at a rest stop and I always worry about car vandalism when staying at motels (I often hitch carry my dirt bike).

Safest are the truck stops, 2nd choice are Walmart parking lots because they have surveillance camera.

Truck stops like flying J usually have a RV transit parking area in front with the gas pumps so you can avoid parking among the semi trucks.   Still a bit noisy from all of the car traffic but it does quiet down later in the night.  

You can do an online search for truck stops or http://www.dieselboss.com/Fuel_020917WA.pdf

The pdf has exit number for truck stops.

This is great information.

What about camping at a state park?

3 minutes ago, Gflo said:

At 25 years old, it shouldn't be too hard to drive straight through.  16 hours isn't too tough.  Leave around 2 am after getting some sleep and make stops for food and coffee.  You will arrive with your bike, and will have saved the money for the motel.  A few years ago, at the age of 58, I went non stop from Texas to SoCal.  Took me 26 hours.  That was tough, and I would never do it again.  But 16 hours is doable.

I've driven 16 hours before, I can handle it... my 20 year old truck is questionable.  I'd rather not push her.  

• Like 1

Just a story kinda related to this topic 

A few years ago I was traveling from Colorado to Minnesota with my bike on a trailer and I got to Iowa when I decide to stop for the night at a motel.

I pulled around to the back of the motel after checking in and noticed that everyone was staring out the window,and I thought they were staring at me of course,

thinking that they were thinking about stealing my bike ,I pulled the trailer across the lot into a field that was there and then got my bags my dog and my 9mm and went to my room and opened the curtains to keep watch,then I turned on the TV and the news came on ,and I finally realized why everyone was staring out of there windows,

They were looking for the tornado that was in that area which I found out had touched down just a mile or so south of the motel LOL!!!

• Like 3

I drive from Phoenix to Summit County, Colorado annually.  I have done the NM route but enjoy going through AZ into UT (through Moab) to I-70 in Grand Junction.  Winter weather may be an issue on I-70 but it is defiantly the scenic route and you could do some riding while in Moab if you like...

2 minutes ago, KTMizlle said:

I drive from Phoenix to Summit County, Colorado annually.  I have done the NM route but enjoy going through AZ into UT (through Moab) to I-70 in Grand Junction.  Winter weather may be an issue on I-70 but it is defiantly the scenic route and you could do some riding while in Moab if you like...

Totally agree!  But I'm trying to avoid the winter weather.  Truck is 2WD.. .rear wheel. 

When I bring her back to CO after getting a garage i'll definitely be taking that way back.