Eqm541

Jumping out of corners

11 posts in this topic

Ok so I have a question I'm racing a arena cross race in a couple weeks and this will be my first one. I was wondering kinda how you jump the doubles(not sure how big they are) when there right after a corner. Should I be in a higher gear like 2nd going into and out of the turn? Or should I be in a little lower gear like 3rd I'm assuming I won't hit 4th because it's arena cross but really any advice would be great. I have a 2016 crf250r if that helps thanks!

Edited by Eqm541

Depends on your speed and your bike setup.   I have a 450 and I think my gearing is 13 and 51 if I remember right and I can keep 3rd gear pretty much the whole track unless I am in a faster section.  You have to get a feel for your bike, obviously don't want to stall it in the jump.

How long have you been riding?

This is one of those "if you have to ask" kind of questions.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Eqm541 said:

Ok so I have a question I'm racing a arena cross race in a couple weeks and this will be my first one. I was wondering kinda how you jump the doubles(not sure how big they are) when there right after a corner. Should I be in a higher gear like 2nd going into and out of the turn? Or should I be in a little lower gear like 3rd I'm assuming I won't hit 4th because it's arena cross but really any advice would be great. I have a 2016 crf250r if that helps thanks!

FYI - 1st & 2nd are considered low gear; 4th & 5th are high gear. How sharp is the corner? is it banked or flat? Lots of variables to consider. 

Edited by fulton246

Get on the gas fast.  Depending on the turn you need to either carry the speed or get back on it fast.  If your not comfortable don't try it.  It's hard to say gear without knowing the turn and distance.  Only practice can answer that.

The jump will get easier the faster you take that corner .... so work on that.

Personally, I take the lower gear in that situation  Understand there is a bit less control launching from the (higher revving) lower gear.

What gear to use depends on so much..

However, 

Right out of a corner I usually seat bounce. Saves energy and seat bouncing works very well. it also seems to be faster as you just pin the gas and let yourself slide back on the bike. Less movement lets you accelerate faster or something

In my opinion if you are asking you shouldn't be racing. It's something that comes with practice. We can all tell you the right way or the best way but that doesn't mean you can do it.

3 people like this

You'll figure it out during the race. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Edited by gatorfan

Just because you ask doesn't mean you can't do it. I ask dumb questions like this all the time just to see if there's a better way that I haven't tried. And sometimes just for reassurance.

You wanna be in whatever gear puts you in the fat part of the power up the jump face. That way if you need you can hold it flat off the top and do the old brake tap to level off and land if need be. How confident are you jumping under full power? You've jumped regular (?) doubles before? Maybe try to find a nearby track that has something similar. Or even go out in the desert (do they have those in oregon?) or somewhere and just practice some very short run up jumps.

But of course you need to make the call, watch/follow someone that's jumping them and decide if you can do it or not.

I've found that commitment is the biggest part of these jump types at least for me. Pretty much every time I go through the corner and think about the jump, I make a mistake and crash or case it. I usually do this because I did something leading up to the jump or corner that makes me wonder if I had enough speed or if I was in the line the that I wanted to be in. Second guessing yourself is a bad sign if you are already in the corner. If I don't have to think about anything I never have an issue because typically in those situations I am riding smooth and "feel fast" which I realize is a relative term.

Point being, anytime I "think" about it... I back off. Find the line and commit... if you have the ability, you will have no issue. 

1 person likes this