HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

GoneDirtBikeN

Making a pass going into a rutted corner

11 posts in this topic

Someone was at the track and happened to snap a couple good pics. The situation: there's actually a guy in front of me as you can tell by the roost I'm eating. He is one of the fastest guys on the track and I know he likes that inside rut line. Knowing he was going to take that line as he blew by me down the straight stretch, I decided wanted to pass the guy who was on the outside coming down the straight stretch going into the turn but going slower than me. That guy was lined for the outside rut. That meant I was needing to slide into the rut in front of him.

So the first picture is showing me as I've finished all the hard braking , I'm just going from standing to sitting while putting the leg out, I'm fine turning the entry speed a little with the front brake, I'm off the throttle using coasting speed dropping into the rut.

Second picture shows bike is nicely in the rut at the apex, me rolling on the throttle (this is good I always feel I'm late starting to roll on the throttle), dragging the front brake a tad helps me keep the front wheel down in the rut. What I think could be better is that my left elbow could be up a bit higher and my left knee is looking a little loose.

I would have loved to see additional shots surrounding that sequence.

That rut and the inner one converge on the exit of that turn and all was good.  :ride:

clubmotocorner-1.jpg

clubmotocorner-2.jpg

1 person likes this

You look good, your body position is correct for the speed your going. When you can enter faster, you will be leaned more, the front tire will be strait so your elbow will come up.

2 people like this

1) Could be angle but looks like your outside knee is off bike.

2) Your upper body is a little tall and back. Could be flexibility issue like me.

Edited by gatorfan

Lift your leg high! Lay the bike into the corner and give it some throttle.

Get those elbows up!

1 person likes this

Enter something like this and use the rut . Looks like you didn't slam agaist it and comming out little early.  Look good tho 👍👍practice practice practice 

20170211_174324.jpg

1 person likes this

^^ For me to get my leg that far out and high I would have to lay on my back flat on the seat!

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, gatorfan said:

^^ For me to get my leg that far out and high I would have to lay on my back flat on the seat!

Lmao👍👍

On 2/11/2017 at 2:34 PM, OGHAlex said:

Lift your leg high! Lay the bike into the corner and give it some throttle.

Get those elbows up!

On 2/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, Motox367 said:

Enter something like this and use the rut . Looks like you didn't slam agaist it and comming out little early.  Look good tho 👍👍practice practice practice 

20170211_174324.jpg

I'm still fairly new at this - going into my 14th month. While I have more confidence to throttle up a bit on a nice berm, I have yet to obtain the confidence to go at it in a rut like I should be able to. In particular the sharper and more vertically narrow ruts confound me. I've just recovered from a pulled hamstring and heading to the track this afternoon. We'll see how I do at practice today.

5 minutes ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

I'm still fairly new at this - going into my 14th month. While I have more confidence to throttle up a bit on a nice berm, I have yet to obtain the confidence to go at it in a rut like I should be able to. In particular the sharper and more vertically narrow ruts confound me. I've just recovered from a pulled hamstring and heading to the track this afternoon. We'll see how I do at practice today.

Pick one, then always look to the end of the rut, gas it get front end light and you'll go rite threw👍 look ahead not at front wheel. Try it

Edited by Motox367

Lots of good advice here. I have always been told that your foot should never touch the ground when done properly. And like 367 said, look where you are going, not where you are.  It looks like you are doing very well to me for being so new, good luck! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Lots of good advice here. I have always been told that your foot should never touch the ground when done properly. 

Have you seen the pros? Feet touch all the time.

Edited by gatorfan