EC300 Dual Sport

I have a 2013 EC 300 that is unfortunately underutilized as a dirt bike. So instead of letting it just collect dust in the garage between dirt rides I decided to get it street legal. Thankfully, in some markets, these bikes included lights, horn etc so it wasn't hard to find a gentleman in NZ who was willing to part with the street kit for a very small fee. Great example of one rider helping another. The Gas Gas wiring diagrams helped in adapting the kit to my bike's electrical. I had help from a friend and we took the job slow and ran into no issues except having to drill the front rotor for the Trail Tech speedo magnet. I live in Ohio and getting a plate for the bike was pretty easy.

So, I took an already heavy bike, made it even heavier but I get to ride it a lot more. The bike is a total blast for short rides on the low speed backroads we have locally. Anything above 45 and I'd just take my Triumph. Really brings back memories of buzzing around on any of the 1970's enduro bikes my friends and I learned on, and used to get around without the benefit of being plated, insured or street legal. 

Dumb project? Probably for most but I had a good candidate that was paid for and didn't have to invest much in the project. All the changes can easiy be reversed. I always liked two stroke enduro bikes so this takes me back and the bike is still a killer on the trail. 

IMG_11911.JPG

Thanks Everyone!

Yes, I would love to try a dual sport ride. I was looking for something local that didn't look overly difficult and they said the bike needs to have at least a 60 mile range. Right now I'm trying to get some sense of what type of fuel range I have on the bike which is tough during the winter, even if this winter has been mild. This bike is somewhat limited given we don't have any real oversize tank options. No knock against the bike as it was never designed for long trips. 

Yeah, she is pretty. Not having much seat time certainly helps. Trying to do something about that. 

Many of the Ohio DS rides will have a shorter than 60 mile length between gas stops and some will circle back to the starting area allowing you to use your premix from your own gas can. One ride you may consider which returns to the start in approx 50 miles is the Flint Ridge dual sport in June.

• 4 weeks later...

I just did this to my '04 MC 250. It's SO much fun around town! I didn't change anything from my normal woods setup. Running 12/52 sprockets so anything over 50mph is a little unpleasant.  I used the Tusk universal dual sport lighting kit for bikes that already had headlights. Kick start only still with just the small battery that runs the LED lights and horn. I also went Trail Tech on the speedo with the Endurance II plummed after the regulator for constant backlight. Why did I wait so long to do this? Now it gets riddne 3/4 days a week.

IMG_20170216_180130.jpg