RamblingRMZ

What's gear do I need to be in to clear jumps?

8 posts in this topic

There's a few jumps at my local track that have corners right before the jump and tend to get really chewed up making hard to carry speed in to the jump. What's the ideal gear to be in on a 250f to get big and possibly clear the 25ft table top?

Hard question to answer without seeing it. At only 25', 1st should do it if you can't carry enough speed for 2nd.

Seems to me it depends entirely how much momentum you carry out of the turn. Based on your momentum, as with any jump, you have 2 gear options (practically speaking), the lower one or higher one. Lower gear for distance and height. Taller gear for control. So for this corner to jump section the low gear (with big throttle) is the choice. As long as you can handle it.

Edited by gatorfan
3 people like this

There's a few jumps at my local track that have corners right before the jump and tend to get really chewed up making hard to carry speed in to the jump. What's the ideal gear to be in on a 250f to get big and possibly clear the 25ft table top?

Under those circumstances I end up slipping the clutch exiting the corner a lot of times to keep the power up. That let's me stay in a higher gear. With such tight features I find there is not enough time to shift and my crf250r tops out to fast to use a lower gear.

Situations like this makes having previous 125 2-stroke riding experience very beneficial,

railing the outside of the turn to keep momentum up and leaving it a gear higher / slipping the clutch

to avoid having to upshift where maximum acceleration is needed to clear a jump.

Edited by mlatour

Gear your buke so you are in 1st gear in the pits and the first blip to get going. 2nd gear even in tighter turns with a slip of the clutch......don't load up your suspension in 1st.....practice coming out in 2nd and getting smooth over that 25 footer

1 person likes this

Under those circumstances I end up slipping the clutch exiting the corner a lot of times to keep the power up. That let's me stay in a higher gear. With such tight features I find there is not enough time to shift and my crf250r tops out to fast to use a lower gear.

This is exactly my problem I run out of 2nd gear At the bottom of the jump