Pointers on buying Banshee 350

Yamaha

I am looking into buying a banshee 350 before summer starts. Only if I can't find a KX500 first. ;)  Anyway what are some pointers on buying one. This would be my first quad I would ever buy. Any work like rebuilds, top ends, etc I can all do myself. Generally I look at prices for rebuilds like crankshafts, rods, cylinders, top ends, etc. And from what I have seen crankshafts are really expensive. About $600+ CAD, but I have found cylinders and pistons for maybe only $300 CAD which seems way to cheap. looking at the photos they look to have been sleeved. Are these genuine Yamaha cylinders? Anyway any pointers on what they go for, things that go bad often, etc. Thanks for any help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Banshee-350-Stock-Bore-Cylinders-Pistons-Top-End-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-/112107050724?hash=item1a1a19d6e4:g:oVMAAOSwOyJX4c2F&vxp=mtr

If you buy a good stock bike, it'll last you a long time. I have a '93 and that thing is great. It's got A arms and it was the last year of grease able suspension.The older ones had j arms that sucked. Look for one with TORS removed. Also if you can find one with Toomey's it wouldn't hurt! My bike:1485199354572.jpg

Also that looks like a Chinese kit. I wouldn't recommend buying it. I've looked into those too, and they are kind of crappy quality. If you need to rebuild, I'd either hone the cylinders or, if you have/want to, re-sleeve them. A buddy of mine got his rebuilt for the first time, it's a '91 I think, and just honed the cylinders and machined the domes. He says it makes a lot of power now.

Banshees are either in great shape or clapped out.
Check the a arms, swing arm, plastic alignment, and obvious things. Just pull the top of the tire towards you and feel for slop. Then wiggle side to side and feel for slop. Lift the rear and do the same. Check the sprockets and chain. A super loose chain is a bad sign in maintenance. Pitched teeth too.
Look at the front sprocket for a bunch of dirt and oil built up there. Check if the cases are smashed.
If they won't let you do a compression test walk away.
Take a peak in the tank. Look for crud at the bottom.
See if the rear grab bar looks level. Silencer tips are straight.
I can go on and on. Use your judgment, don't get excited and jump the gun.
Banshees are literally a dime a dozen. They are like honda civics.

Sorry ASP1227 I never saw your posts. I thought that top end/cylinder kit looked too good to be true. And I was keeping my eye out for some with Toomey's or FMF's. Also thanks sheerider for all the things to look for. Seems like you got a lot more wear item's on a quad in particular compared to a bike. Really thinking about getting one soon hopefully about halfway trhough the summer but I also got a guy who has some LT500 2 strokes that he would part with and he's not asking too much more than what I see banshees go for plus they are quite a bit more rare.

Ok, not sure if you bought a quad yet or not, but my thoughts on the LT500 is that they're bittersweet. They are notorious for poor reliability and prone to breakdowns. That said, if you fix them up right and maintain them, they are some of the baddest bikes around. I've seen some sweet LT500's around my area.

4 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

Ok, not sure if you bought a quad yet or not, but my thoughts on the LT500 is that they're bittersweet. They are notorious for poor reliability and prone to breakdowns. That said, if you fix them up right and maintain them, they are some of the baddest bikes around. I've seen some sweet LT500's around my area.

No not yet. Im gonna get a hopefully sweet deal on a LT500. About 3500 CAD or about $2600 USD. In my area for about the same money you are getting a banshee. But then you're looking at a bike from 88-90 compared to early 00's. 

That's not bad. I'm not sure what type of riding you do, but if you are into trail riding the LT is probably your best bet. Banshee's are great for dunes and long straights. If you plan on racing I'd look at a trx250r. Honda made those around the same time Suzuki made the LT. The trx is super light and handles really good. There's a pretty good aftermarket for it to. They're usually a little pricey though.