2017 EXC De-Smog

Kena/Disturbentz, can you PM me also on how to get a map?  I'm deciding between a 2017 KTM 500 or 350 (if I can get the off-road map).  Also, how does the new 500 handle?  I'm coming off of a 2008 450 xcrw and would like a bike that handles as good or better than my old 450.  I rode a 2008 530 and it definitely felt heavier and less nimble than my 450, so I wasn't a fan.  That's why I'm thinking 350, but I've read it is slow unless you can uncork it.  I've read good things about how the 2017 500 handles, but looking for more opinions.  Don't want to hijack the thread, so any comments you can PM me would be greatly appreciated!

37 minutes ago, rustyrider719 said:

Can someone just post up what map they are using? You don't have to post who installed it just confirm which map and how the bike is running now. I guess since I started this thread I can jihack it. Lol?

The part# is KM796EU17G0201.  It's the EU off-road map.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 8:09 AM, LTJ said:

Kena/Disturbentz, can you PM me also on how to get a map?  I'm deciding between a 2017 KTM 500 or 350 (if I can get the off-road map).  Also, how does the new 500 handle?  I'm coming off of a 2008 450 xcrw and would like a bike that handles as good or better than my old 450.  I rode a 2008 530 and it definitely felt heavier and less nimble than my 450, so I wasn't a fan.  That's why I'm thinking 350, but I've read it is slow unless you can uncork it.  I've read good things about how the 2017 500 handles, but looking for more opinions.  Don't want to hijack the thread, so any comments you can PM me would be greatly appreciated!

Where in CA are you located?

If you have EU tune, TPS adjusted, and FMF pipe, do you NEED to de-smog? Are the advantages at this point merely related to weight reduction? My dealer is a pretty reputable mechanic and he said that with the EU map, there is really no need to de-smog since the bike will run properly. I have zero issues with my bike... never pops, never overheats, great power, basically runs perfect.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:44 PM, rustyrider719 said:

Thanks for all your help guys! It's been a solid Sunday evening. Got my TPS Tool and Blais racing stuff on the way. Got a bunch more parts that should be here next week also. Bikes gonna be bad ass. Maybe I'll start a little build thread soon.

Do you ever come ride in Califreakia?  The reason I ask is because the BLM and Forestry rangers are doing inspections for smog equipment compliance in some locations in the state.  My fear is this will probably happen in all of the Ca BLM and Forestry riding areas as they get educated and want to flex their muscles.  I've heard you can disable the smog equip and still have it attached so it looks legit.  I would never advocate violating the law defeating the smog equipment...;) ;) ;) 

• Like 1

You don't "need" to remove the smog parts, but removing it overcomes a couple of potential issues.  If I lived in CA, I would leave it in place and just disable it.  I don't know about the 2017's, but on earlier years the issues were (1) If filling the gas tank all the way up, sometimes raw gas would get sucked through the cap vent line into the emissions parts causing the bike to run very rich and stumble or flame out, (2) the little solenoid under the throttle body can contribute to stumbling when barely cracking the throttle (this is when the solenoid opens), (3) The fresh air valve sticking out the side of the head can break off from the vibrations, leaving you with exhaust blowing out the hole in the side of the head.  Those are the big issues that I can think of, maybe they are all resolved on the 17's.  I'm all about reducing pollution so if it's running good, then by all means leave it intact.  

15 hours ago, yzernie said:

Do you ever come ride in Califreakia?  The reason I ask is because the BLM and Forestry rangers are doing inspections for smog equipment compliance in some locations in the state.  My fear is this will probably happen in all of the Ca BLM and Forestry riding areas as they get educated and want to flex their muscles.  I've heard you can disable the smog equip and still have it attached so it looks legit.  I would never advocate violating the law defeating the smog equipment...? ? ? 

cali is the land of fruits and nuts for sure ! why do they think smog control on a offroad machine is necessary anyway?  when I see the ranger I wont stop or be intimidated by them. I do volunteer work for the BLM and do a large amount of work keeping these areas open.. what I want to know is why would any agency waist our tax money looking for smog violations on a dirtbike ? why don't they go write tickets for all those noisey ugly Harley's that disrupt our peace. every time I hear one of those POS going down the road I offer up a great big California "howdy" with my middle finger. be a responsible motorcycle operator and respect the peace and quiet our neighbors enjoy. I only use FMF Q4 and Turbine core  slip-ons to help reduce noise

1 hour ago, Airboss/oc said:

cali is the land of fruits and nuts for sure ! why do they think smog control on a offroad machine is necessary anyway?  when I see the ranger I wont stop or be intimidated by them. I do volunteer work for the BLM and do a large amount of work keeping these areas open.. what I want to know is why would any agency waist our tax money looking for smog violations on a dirtbike ? why don't they go write tickets for all those noisey ugly Harley's that disrupt our peace. every time I hear one of those POS going down the road I offer up a great big California "howdy" with my middle finger. be a responsible motorcycle operator and respect the peace and quiet our neighbors enjoy. I only use FMF Q4 and Turbine core  slip-ons to help reduce noise

CONTROL is the key word.  Loud mufflers have nothing to do with the enforcement of the smog control laws.  That said, Califreakia has enacted a law that says you can no longer change the stock muffler(s) on a street bike to louder ones that do not have the CARB approval stamp....and that would also include a dual sport bikes since we have plates.  this state angers me more every day...usually several times a day!!  LOL

You can't use any of the accessory tanks either- legally. The stocker is so thick, they sell a shorter banjo bolt and pump mount plug for the accessory tanks. So you're saying the BLM will give you a ticket for the illegal tank, and blow off the liter coke bottles full of gasoline strapped to the fender?

Edited by Burnrider