390 vs 300?

Any folks out there with experience on both the 390 and the 300? Just curious on a comparison between the two. I see lots of reviews on the 300, far fewer on the 390. I know they are apples and oranges, but they are my favorites at the moment.

I am 40, 5-10 180, in OK shape. I ride a 98 ktm300 right now and I'm a c rider. I want to do eastern PA single track and general riding, maybe some dual sport events. I want to ramp up my riding quantity and quality. I also like the xtrainer but feel the RRs may be a better do it all bike. If I get a new bike I will want to keep it a while.

Edited by bikesandcars

I have no experience with 390, but if you want to dual sport, it would be the best way to go.

I have no experience with 390, but if you want to dual sport, it would be the best way to go.

Thanks. I plan to run some dual sport events, and legalize the trail transitions. Not planning on commuting or normal dual sporting. The most road it will see is a fire road.

I have a 2014 400 (not a 390 but close) and a 300. Both are great bikes and you cannot go wrong with either. If somebody told me I could only have one bike for everything I ride I would keep my 400 and sell the 300. That being said, if all I rode was trails and tight single track, I would keep the 300. I also do find the need to have a plated dual sport here in California to open my riding possibilities. Both are excellent choices, you can't go wrong with either.

I have a 2014 400 (not a 390 but close) and a 300. Both are great bikes and you cannot go wrong with either. If somebody told me I could only have one bike for everything I ride I would keep my 400 and sell the 300. That being said, if all I rode was trails and tight single track, I would keep the 300. I also do find the need to have a plated dual sport here in California to open my riding possibilities. Both are excellent choices, you can't go wrong with either.

Out here in PA I can plate, insure and register both equally (as they both come with normal titles per dealer). I would need to add a dual sport kit and DOT tires to the 300 for the inspection sticker.... Or face the risk of getting a traffic ticket if stopped just riding around...Which is quite low for my mission, but still relevant.

What I like about the 390 is it's all ready. What I like about the 300 is the 2 stroke performance for gnarly stuff.

Do both handle about the same?

Edited by bikesandcars

The 390 is definitely the all arounder bike of the Beta line up. For any kind of DSing the 390 will be superior to the 300.

An 390RR-S, would fit the bill perfectly.

I have both a 390 and an Xtrainer in the garage. If I have to keep only one, the 2t would go.

They're all good.. but I'd go with a 430. The bike's are so easy to ride . I have a 350  , 300rr and 525. I've ridden a 400 just in the parking lot. It didn't impress me. I've ridden a 430 in the trail and to me that's the sweeter one.. ..and a bunch of other different models.. but not any of the 17's but I guess only the dealers get to ride all the 17's... anyway. All around with street legal dirtbike status. I'd go 430..or 480..but if you like a 390 I'd pic one step up for you. 390 so idk.. I straight up love my 300rr as the best bike for what I do.. but for an all around bike get the 4 stroke Beta. Street legal dirt bike is a wonderful thing. If you ride ugly 300 is best period.. One bike do all? My dealer had a demo 430 race edition with suspension done.. damn that bike is straight bad ass.. beautiful.. easy to ride and it had plenty power. My dealer had a 430 rs plated 16' later (the 430 race sold fast) and went for a ride in all kinds of hard technical trails with a bunch of riders.. He just got the bike.. Someone rode it and it was sold.  ...  I still like my 525 RS Beta . It's not the latest but I take it in the ugliest trails.. It's a bit heavier than the 300 but I could take it anywhere if I wanted. Not as nimble as the newest Beta.. Down low the 2 stroke still just beats the 4 strokes though.. off idle there's no comparison.  I bet this is all pretty much what you've heard or thought about your choice so far anyway.. good luck!!! I'm sure you'll win either way.

They're all good.. but I'd go with a 430. The bike's are so easy to ride . I have a 350 , 300rr and 525.

Thanks! I like to lug and I like torque, which is why I'm drawn to the 300 / 390. They all seem awesome from the reviews. I suspect I would really like a 350 too but from what I hear the 390 lugs like crazy with all other attributes equal.

Isnt the 350/430 more snappy and revvy?

Edited by bikesandcars

Thanks! I like to lug and I like torque, which is why I'm drawn to the 300 / 390. They all seem awesome from the reviews. I suspect I would really like a 350 too but from what I hear the 390 lugs like crazy with all other attributes equal.

There's degrees of snappy and revvy... I don't think any Beta enduro is "snappy" that's why I like them. I'd get an mx bike if I wanted that..but you gotta know that the bigger bike will have more low end .  The 350 is better to me for more flowing and say hare scrambles etc.. Mine has some good top end for a 350. .but for regular gnar and riding I rather have a bigger bore.. like a 430.. Iike I say I haven't ridden the newest 17's so things might be different in how the power is  but I don't think it's far from the easy riding Beta formula for how  their enduro bikes work. Some guys love their 390's here but I sort of think if I'd buy a street legal beta I'd get a 500 rs.. that's a good all around bike...but that's personal preference. My 525 rs is a pussycat to me. It's super mellow and it has torque and power without being intimidating at all.. don't want to go fast just don't turn the throttle big and it's mellow.. but it's nice  flying up a dirt road to see a rut then upshift and turn the throttle and clear or at least loft the front end to avoid problems easier. The newer gen Betas do have more mid and top end from what I hear than my old rfs 525. I don't know how much. I haven't ridden any except in more tighter slower.. and it's not polite to ride another guys bike and peg a bike in high gears flying down the road in top gear..There are a bunch of betas here on Oahu. More than it seems a lot of other places have but I would like to try riding a 500rs Beta in trails for a good enough period of time. I rode a 520 2011 a while back that a friend had.. That bike was a good bike.. but that was a while ago.. ok don't mind me.. I'm just blabbing .. the doctor gave me some meds and I'm sort of floating here. I feel better and can breath better but it's got a kind of "floaty" feeling.. lol.

That was my understanding and the reason I chose the 390 over the 430.

I did a couple of PA dual sport rides on the 390 and it was perfect for me.  That being said, I spotted a few 300's on those rides and those guys were having a blast also.   I agree with Matgaz in that the 390 is probably the better all around bike. 

You know you might try watching some Beta vids of different enduros and turn up the volume to hear the motor and see what terrain. It's better than nothing for getting some insight on how the bikes work. There aren't as many 390 vids ..but maybe some.. and you can watch some 350 and 430 and sort of get a sense.. well some anyway. There's nothing like actually riding.. but there are some Beta playlists. I know I've put up a couple and there's a ton of vids on them.. just scroll through and check some out.. fast forward till you see something interesting.. or move to another.. etc.  I don't know.. maybe you did this already?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beta+390+rr

I have a new 17 390 re with just a couple hours on it and a16 300 re with about 50 hours on it and I can't say anything bad about either one .

The 390 is my first 4 stroke but I had no problem adapting ..

the 300re is the best 2stroke I have owned and I usually get a new one every 2 years

The 390 has a little more handle bar vibration but that is the only problem

Don't ask me to pick between the 2 yet

Good luck on your choice

Not sure your location but I am just north of Cincinnati , contact me if your in the area

You know the other thing could be to just get one bike with the thought of getting another later.. and instead of only 1 new bike.. maybe a new one and a used one.. slightly used like a year old or something like that . I plan on keeping my Betas a long time too. I don't see a 300 2 stroke that is going to be any better any time soon.. and as for the 4 stroke enduros.. I don't see much better in the foreseeable future either. So even another street legal 4t enduro used is another option. You don't have to be ill and have 3 Beta enduros like me.. plus another couple of bikes too. One 2 stroke and one street legal 4 stroke I think is ideal. When one is being serviced you have another to ride. You might buy 2 used for the price of one and maybe a year old or 2 with all the mods already set up... or just pick one and buy.

We all definitely need multiple bikes: , a 500 dual sport, a 300rr for enduros, a xtrainer for gnarly and slow stuff, and a trials bike!

I actually do not want to buy new, but used betas are hen's teeth. Maybe I just wait them out, if it takes a year so be it. I don't need financing.

If I got a 390 I wouldn't get a 300, I'd get an xtrainer.

It's all hard to justify really...I Can pick up a used KTM, or a wrf/CR-X older styles for 3k.

Just missed a 2009 ktm530xcw for 4k ... could a snagged that and then looked for a KTM 200xcw, probably had both for 7k

Can anyone really justify a new bike besides it's what we want? I have a hard time myself.

We all definitely need multiple bikes: , a 500 dual sport, a 300rr for enduros, a xtrainer for gnarly and slow stuff, and a trials bike!

I actually do not want to buy new, but used betas are hen's teeth. Maybe I just wait them out, if it takes a year so be it. I don't need financing.

If I got a 390 I wouldn't get a 300, I'd get an xtrainer.

It's all hard to justify really...I Can pick up a used KTM, or a wrf/CR-X older styles for 3k.

Just missed a 2009 ktm530xcw for 4k ... could a snagged that and then looked for a KTM 200xcw, probably had both for 7k

Can anyone really justify a new bike besides it's what we want? I have a hard time myself.

I'll weigh in;

Actually, dependent on needs all of us do not need multiple bikes, some do, some don't.

Buying new has its pros and cons, yes you can sometimes find a low mileage non-abused bike that fits our needs, operative word "sometimes"

For many out there the new 390 would serve the needs of many for deep enduros and a little DS work without issues and be very long lasting and low maintenance.

Yet to try and justify a used older bike in the same sentence as a new technology Beta IMHO is silly. I've owned those older bikes in the past and know what it costs to keep 'em running well. In the end I bought a new Beta, and never looked back for my deep woods enduro needs and a little DS riding.

The Beta 390 can easily handle the nastiest singletrack-Deer trails, and cruise back J-roads without a whimper, and not cost you a ton of $$$ in maintenance. And you have a state of the art machine. 

Unless you've spent a bunch of time on a KTM530 (I have) I'm not sure how you can compare them to the new Beta bikes at all. But it depends on your real needs or capabilities. 

I love the new 300RR, and if money was no object there would be one in the garage, but the ease I have riding tight/steep singletrack on my 4-stroke Beta, I'd be most likely wasting MY money.

Presently I'm looking at getting another Beta to add to my garage (390RR-S) but not for me, but for another family member. 

So you ask if anyone can really justify a new bike the answer quite simply is yes, pay a set amount now, or quite possible get nickel and dime to death on a used bike, and having still an outdated heavy/tall bike that will never ride as nice as a new technology machine... :thumbsup:

I get it and didn't mean to sound judgemental, I'm strongly considering a new bike for those reasons. The initial hit is what sucks, they drop from 9.5k to 7k instantly.

A new bike is better and reliable. I like to wrench but rebuilding a knackered bike takes valuable time!

for adventure riding.. but might have some related info.

I get it and didn't mean to sound judgemental, I'm strongly considering a new bike for those reasons. The initial hit is what sucks, they drop from 9.5k to 7k instantly.

A new bike is better and reliable. I like to wrench but rebuilding a knackered bike takes valuable time!

Thanks for the explanation! Understood.

But depreciation is only an issue if you change your bikes quicker than your great pair of riding boots....

Over the years I've gotten tired of mending outdated technology, which most of the time never addresses that older bikes main design flaws.

Simple stuff like building engines, is easy work for me, but gets expensive. Example #1; For me my CRF450x I got tired of replacing valves/guides/pistons etc. etc. and I still had IMHO, and outdated machine. Not to mention the forks were after multiple times to the tuners, just barely adequate. Never really liked the aluminum frame, almost too stiff. Great for desert, no so great for tight deep woods enduro work. I just about gave it away to get my Beta. 

There are those that ride what they got, even if it has a bunch of shortcomings, well cool, but not for me. Life is short and bikes are fun, I've been passed too many times on the track to be satisfied riding inadequate equipment.

And something different the Beta has a much different "feeling" than my old Husky/Honda(s)/KTM/Yamaha/Aprilia, the Beta feels as if its part of me, not me sitting atop another bike and working/riding around its inherent issues. I think when a person/rider finds something that they "click" with they keep it for a long time.

For me every 2-3 years prior to the Beta I'd buy a new bike, now maybe every 5 years or more as the Beta brand for me has been that much of a game-changer. In fact my 2014 Beta 450 most likely will be in the garage for a long long time to come, I guess that's why I feel very good about buying new and amortizing it for a long time. Then the Beta becomes very reasonable in cost... :thumbsup:

Ok, thats my 4 cents on Friday!  :p

Out here in PA I can plate, insure and register both equally (as they both come with normal titles per dealer). I would need to add a dual sport kit and DOT tires to the 300 for the inspection sticker.... Or face the risk of getting a traffic ticket if stopped just riding around...Which is quite low for my mission, but still relevant.

What I like about the 390 is it's all ready. What I like about the 300 is the 2 stroke performance for gnarly stuff.

Do both handle about the same?

The new Michelins say FIM on one sidewall and DOT on the other.

The new Michelins say FIM on one sidewall and DOT on the other.

You mean the 300 and other off road betas come with DOT tires new?