Suspension questions for newbie

Thinking about getting a 2016 yz250f. Mostly Going to trail ride. Been riding since a kid but haven't rode in about 3 years and never messed with suspension in past. Will I need to make suspension stiffer or will I need to buy new shocks? If I need new suspension parts what will I need? Reason I'm thinking I may be okay without buying new stuff is that I won't be hitting jumps all the time and stuff, although I am probally wrong.

The yz250f is sprung and valved for around a 160 lb rider. If you're close to that either way you'll be fine. But if you're a ways from that you would at least need a shock spring. You can swap the spring in about 10 minutes, so it's no big deal.

Thinking about getting a 2016 yz250f. Mostly Going to trail ride. Been riding since a kid but haven't rode in about 3 years and never messed with suspension in past. Will I need to make suspension stiffer or will I need to buy new shocks? If I need new suspension parts what will I need? Reason I'm thinking I may be okay without buying new stuff is that I won't be hitting jumps all the time and stuff, although I am probally wrong.

If you are mostly going to trail ride get an FX.  I have ridden both 15' models (own an FX now) in the woods.  Tight single track and flow single track.  The FX suspension was so much better in these conditions.  The F was really stiff and beat me up quick.  Plus the E start is nice when you get into the really nasty stuff.

Ride it first. Then ride it again. Then, ride it again and think about how the bike acts in different situations. Then talk to someone who really knows suspension. Then they can get you in the right direction for having it set up.

To OP, if you intend on not riding motocross, don't buy a motocross race bike!

There are much better suited bikes for trail riding, the FX if you're into faster off-road / light MX'ing

or the WR if you want a truly recreational trail bike with plusher yet capable suspension.