dirt bike rider78

Tips for a new mx rider

23 posts in this topic

Ok I'm new to the motocross world and does anyone have any tips that will be useful on the track

Take it easy.  You gotta crawl before you can walk.   That will save you an early trip to the orthopedic.  

7 people like this

Practice early on leaning the bike over to turn rather than turning the bars.

While cornering, keep your inside leg up and pointing forward, not dragging to the side / skimming the ground.

Aim for momentum / flow rather than braking and accelerating hard.

Have fun, you have nothing to prove to anyone.

In the event you fall, take a break to regain your breath before continuing.

2 people like this

Ok I'm new to the motocross world and does anyone have any tips that will be useful on the track

So much could be said in reply... I'm a beginner who just started a little over a year ago so the learning process is fresh in my mind.

The most important thing about riding track as a beginner on a track: Hold your line. Do not cut over. So for example it is not ok to go from one side to the other in front of a jump, across the top of a jump nor in the landing zone keeping in mind that others can jump really high and far - you don't want to be landed on. You don't want to be responsible for someone else crashing trying to avoid an unexpected movement you made.

Find the most basic of tracks, tabletops or singles only for jumping for now. In fact, the smallest (height wise/steepness of the ramp) tabletops. Many tracks will have a kids track; some will have an easier track. If a private track, ask the management if you can use it to practice even if rules restrict you from using it. Given that you are just starting they may let you ride it anyways.

My track splits between Vet/Beginner, Intermediate/Pro, Minis/Women. Even though there is a Beginner, Newbies they let ride with the Minis/Women slot = much safer. Ask which slot the track management wants you riding in.

When I was going to a track at the OHV park which is pretty much unmanaged, I would go when pretty much no one else was there when possible. I choose when to and when not to ride that track based upon others riding the track. If feeling uncomfortable about riding the track given the others riding, exit the track, wait until some of the riders clear off and then go back out. I always found that I could get plenty of track time.

Lots of instruction videos can be found on youtube. Lots of information on this forum. Start scrounging for basic how-to's. Plenty of it and easy to find. Once you have more specific questions, come back here and post. I got lots of help from this forum myself and I'm grateful for that. I created three youtube libraries for myself - MX Instruction, MX Inspiration and MX Maintenance and I continue to watch the stuff I located repeatedly.

Lots to this sport: Bike setup (suspension), Body position, body position, body position. Different techniques for different cornering types (Berms, ruts, flat, off camber). Concentrate on learning the techniques on the easiest parts of the track and progress from there.

Talk to people and make friends with others at the track!

Good judgement (a little bit of caution), will minimize the chance of injury. Staying uninjured = you get to ride again next possible chance = fastest progression = most fun. Progression comes best with baby steps.

7 people like this

1) Hold your line. (Don't try to get out of other riders way. Hold your line, they will get around you.)

2) Be respectful.

3) Ride within your limits, ability, and experience level.

4) Most important of all... Have Fun.

5 people like this

Keep your elbows up. I have seen some pretty gnarly crashes when people have their elbows down and get crazy head shake (Head shake is when the bars get twitchy and then they start to almost shake and they start turning rapidly uncontrollably) It's really hard to explain in words. Just keep your elbows up.

Also, don't stare at your front fender the whole time, look down the track.

And just like others have said, unless u want to get landed on, keep your line when other, faster riders come up behind you.

Posted (edited)

I don't think it was mentioned so I will bring it up, always wear a full set of gear. Minimum of a good Snell/dot helmet , goggles, gloves, MX boots , pants and jersey. Neck brace, chest protector , elbow and knee braces even better.

What are you riding? Proper suspension setup is also extremely important.

Also, as others have mentioned, hold your line. Don't dart around. At the same time, don't roll over jumps in the main line, stay closer to the side.

Edited by ohiodrz400sm
2 people like this

I'll give ya a quick shakedown. Grip with your legs at all times, nothing ends a Moto faster than arm pump and arm fatigue causes a lot of other issues, like finger cramps, blisters, and a whole list of other problems. The next goes hand in hand *pun intended. Keep your elbows up in the attack stance. This goes right along with arm pump and keeping your elbows up isn't as easy as it sounds. You have to make yourself do it! Next up, is ease on and ease off. Smooth breaking before and slightly into the corner then ease on the gas through the apex of the turn. Don't lay it on too fast as you will loose traction and in turn loose any power your putting to the ground. Practice leaning in the turns instead of turning in the turns. Suspension settings are a key to success, dedicate a good couple track days to get your suspension set properly, this is the one of the most important things in my opinion. Play with the clickers until you find a set up that is good everywhere, not just in one area. You can always go back to stock settings if it doesn't feel right and I've seen plenty of people who try to change it up and end up reverting back to stock settings. Being a new guy have respect for the faster riders, but keep them humble, move out of the way if you can, but if you can't, give them a good run until you can. Next is, to know your limits, your not going to be the next pro any time soon, maybe if you invest enough time you can be, but not within the next week. Don't try to hit the biggest jump on the track until your comfortable. Don't try seat bouncing or anything like that, until your skills are up to par.

4 people like this

Just remembered another one. I'm guilty of this one when I first started riding At some point you will realize your going too fast up a jump face. Whatever you do don't let off the gas, you will want to, and you probably will. But don't do it!!!!! That said, your lack of experience and survival instinct will take over and off the gas you go. When that happens, welcome to the world of over the bars. At that point, just enjoy it :).

Just remembered another one. I'm guilty of this one when I first started riding At some point you will realize your going too fast up a jump face. Whatever you do don't let off the gas, you will want to, and you probably will. But don't do it!!!!! That said, your lack of experience and survival instinct will take over and off the gas you go. When that happens, welcome to the world of over the bars. At that point, just enjoy it :).

Agreed. And if not over the bars a seriously scary nose first landing with maybe face into bars.
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

And don't jump off the bike in mid air if you think you're going to crash. I've seen new riders get scared and throw the bike away too many times. Like everything there may be a few exceptions but as a rule, always let the bike soak up as much of the impact as possible.

Edited by ohiodrz400sm
3 people like this

Keep the throttle steady going up the faces of the jumps, cause as mentioned above, if you let off on the face/lip of the jump you will go over the bars and it won't feel good. Also, throttle in the air = front end of the bike up, rear brake in the air = front end of the bike down.

1 person likes this

I can't think anything major to add, if anything I'd just reiterate every tip that has been said.

One thing you didn't elaborate on is whether you have any experience riding dirtbikes prior to motocross tracks? If so, then a lot of this could just become second nature your first time out.

Your mind is going to have so much to remember and think about while you're out there, just focus on keeping yourself safe and don't get in over your head. Staying in your comfort zone = a good day for you, and a good day for everyone else around you. Everyone from other riders to the staff at the track. Like FLY said, gotta crawl before you can walk. Just focus on the small improvements you make every trip out, or even every moto out.

I think one thing that's really important-Don't let mistakes kill your confidence, if you fall just laugh it off and keep going.

1 person likes this