HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yamahahahaha

yz timing question? which mark is TDC?

9 posts in this topic

When I open up the little view plug on my case to show the TDC mark I find two marks. There is an I or H type mark, then as I rotate the engine slightly there is a straight line right next to the I or H or whatever it is. Which of these marks is the correct mark to line up in the window?

Thanks,

Jon

....or with the plug out, drop a thin screwdriver down the plug hole and watch it as you turn the crank - when the piston is at TDC, the screwdriver will be at it's highest point. Peek through the view plug hole and you should see the "I" mark lined up with the notch. This will happen every revolution of the crank, but the cams will be lined up for valve clearance measurement every other revolution.

I have the service manual and the picture it shows looks more like a straight up and down line...like the one next to the I or H or what ever it is...They are so close together though....like and eight of an inch or so, does it even matter which is in the window?

Thanks

It actually says "HI" you will want to line the "I" in "HI" up in the window. The "I" will be straight up and down just like in the manual.

thank you very much....that is what I thought :)....I just wanted to make perfectly sure before I screwed something up...

Thanks

They are so close together though....like and eight of an inch or so, does it even matter which is in the window?

That 1/8" equates to about 5-10deg crank rotation, so in answer to your question, yes it does matter. Due to the fact that the piston hovers at TDC for a little while, the screwdriver method isn't very accurate. Try a piston stop and degree wheel to check it accurately.

Hamish

sorry but i have a page of dirt bike magazine where explains whether to put yz timing, and TDC is "H"

:)

bye