XR 650 or 400 which one?

I saw a 2000 xr650 forsale and the bike looked water cooled. What yr did they start water cooling the 650 ?

I am getting either a xr 400 or 600 or 650 dont know which would fit me best. 6' 210 lbs been riding all my life. Had a 82' xr 500 then went to a 83' cr500 now a Shadow ace.

How heavy is the 650 versus the 400 or 600?

Is the power gain in the 650 worth the extra weight?

I will mostly be riding trails and desert riding, I would like to put a street kit on it too for the occasional short ride to the trails.

Thanks

Darren

Xr650r came out in 2000, The suspension and frame on the xr650r were big improvements over the 600. So is the motor. The 400 might work for you if plan to do a lot of slow technical trail riding, 650r better in the desert. I`d go with the 650r myself. If you live in California , YOU CAN NO LONGER DUAL SPORT YOUR BIKE. You can still buy a used one thats already plated. Good luck with your decision. :)

I struggled with the same question. I was lucky enough to get to ride both the same day. I had an '84 XR500R. I ride tight, mountainous forests. I'm 165lbs. 5'9". I'm faster on the 400, faster still on a WR250, but I love my 650. I spent Sunday riding an enduro in mostly 1st and 2nd gear pin-balling through way too tight trees and I had a blast.

It can do everything if you set it up right.

If you're used to an open class bike, I think you'd have to get the 650.

The XR650R is a totaly different motor than the old XR650L which is air cooled. As far as weight goes the XR650R weighs about the same as the old XR600 but it carries it better. The XR400 is an awsome trail machine and a lot of fun. The XR650R can do everything the XR400 can do and everything the XR400 cannot do. It is by far the more all around bike of the three you mentioned. Its easy to ride but takes time to get used to in the tight stuff. Once you do get used to it, it's a pleasure to ride. There might be 20 pounds difference in weight between the XR650 and the XR400. Go to honda's web site if you want the real numbers.

Get the 650! :) The only time I would rather be on the 400 is if I'm stuck in the mud. Other than that you don't really notice the weight. The power is definitely worth the extra weight.

Stuck in the mud..HeH? My pig tractors through the stuff like it was nothing. Slow speeds and you drive right through. The 650 dry is 277 whereas the 400 is 257. Get the 650 if you want the power. I won't diss the 400 either though because at times air cooled reliability is nice in the tight stuff. The 650 is tall also out of the box if your shorter than 6', however it brakes in and sits nice. I just had my suspension done and I have only had the chance to sit on it but WOW, it's plush. Can't wait.

Stuck in the mud..HeH? My pig tractors through the stuff like it was nothing. Slow speeds and you drive right through. The 650 dry is 277 whereas the 400 is 257. Get the 650 if you want the power. I won't diss the 400 either though because at times air cooled reliability is nice in the tight stuff. The 650 is tall also out of the box if your shorter than 6', however it brakes in and sits nice. I just had my suspension done and I have only had the chance to sit on it but WOW, it's plush. Can't wait.

Yeah, I got cross rutted in some gumbo mud. It took 3 of us to get it out. In that case I guess I'd rather be on a xr50. :)

If you truly do get stuck on the pig. I hope your riding with some buds.