Mr.mudman112

How many times at a track till u get good?

36 posts in this topic

So I really wanna get into track and so far I've been to about 5 tracks and I can do them pretty well but I really wanna like RIP around that track. I also wanna get more air.

The tracks have pretty big tables and some doubles, but we don't get to go that often so I'm sorta feeling bummed. I don't wanna compete or anything but yeah pity party lol.

Anyone know how quickly they got good at track? I can get some air and go at a solid 3rd maybe 4th on a track. (YZ250f)

You get better by pushing yourself. you also get hurt by pushing yourself. Check out the technique forum or some youtube videos on MX

3 people like this

You get better by pushing yourself. you also get hurt by pushing yourself. Check out the technique forum or some youtube videos on MX

oh yeah I've broken some wrists and fingers so far, couple plastics too. I'm not awful I just don't feel like Ronny mac caliber

First time, every time, but I'm a badass. You probably won't have the same results.

Probably not

503 trips, divided by 79, multiplied by 47, then add 13, finally subtract 77... final number equals a lot.

2 people like this

I learnt by just crashing and finding out what i could do and what i could not do. learning to really rail ruts should come first and corner speed. jumps are easier to do after nailing corner exit speed

2 people like this

I learnt by just crashing and finding out what i could do and what i could not do. learning to really rail ruts should come first and corner speed. jumps are easier to do after nailing corner exit speed

ok I'll give the rails a bit more speed I think I usually slow down a bit cuz the ones I do r pretty sharp.

Thanks!

503 trips, divided by 79, multiplied by 47, then add 13, finally subtract 77... final number equals a lot.

By that formula, I got about 12 more months until I have this thing nailed. Started this foolishness about a year back now.

Consistency is key here man. Take the same line every time and speed will follow. There is fast lines on every track, just sit back when you first get at the track for 10-15 minutes and study the fast riders, have a look at where their lines are and try to ride them. I would say it will take 2-3 maybe even 4 all day riding sessions to get on the pipe.

1 person likes this

You should be pretty bad ass after about 5 or 6 times at the track BUT may take a couple more rides. Actually a good way to gage yourself for at least speed is get a trail tech mounted on your bike. No a lot of MX guys use them. It reads maximum speed witch can show you your progress of how fast you are getting. You can rest it any time by day, moto, laps what ever you want. But it's a good way to monitor your increase of speed over time. The trail techs also have many other features.

I have a trail tech on my bike for years. When I 1st started riding track my max speeds were around 17-18 miles per hr, at the time I was 43 years old. I am am now able to run at speeds of like 22-25 miles per hr. Might not seam like a lot of speed but again it's an average of any given time, like 1 moto type of thing. Anyways it has helped me gage my improvement. I might not be very fast but then again I'm an old 52 year old fart. I do pretty well for an old guy. Another thing is get video of yourself riding will help to see how bad ass or,bad you are! Lol.

Consistency is key here man. Take the same line every time and speed will follow. There is fast lines on every track, just sit back when you first get at the track for 10-15 minutes and study the fast riders, have a look at where their lines are and try to ride them. I would say it will take 2-3 maybe even 4 all day riding sessions to get on the pipe.

Sounds good man! We don't live near any within a two hour drive so when I do go I usually stay overnight in a trailer. Thats also why Im asking just cause I wanna get.better. Appreciate it!
1 person likes this

Depends how old you are, how athletic you are, how committed you are, how much balls you have, how much money you have, how much time you have .... did I miss anything?

I'm a 55 y.o noob that can't afford to get hurt. Things are coming along rather slowly.

Depends how old you are, how athletic you are, how committed you are, how much balls you have, how much money you have, how much time you have .... did I miss anything?

I'm a 55 y.o noob that can't afford to get hurt. Things are coming along rather slowly.

I mean I'm 16, strong, I do stupid ballsy things I don't have much money right now and I got some time

So yeah aha

I mean I'm 16, strong, I do stupid ballsy things I don't have much money right now and I got some time

So yeah aha

This old man is jealous. I'd trade my money to be 16, strong and broke any day.

4 people like this

This old man is jealous. I'd trade my money to be 16, strong and broke any day.

aha well keep getting out there sir, anything is possible

This pretty much sums it up, but it also really depends on your current skill level, as in bike handling skills, how good your cornering is, and how confident you are in the air. Lap times are made in the corners, if you can corner fast, and are confident in the air, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to carry enough speed around the track to get over every jump. Your throttle control, and braking skills will be a huge factor in the momentum you carry.

On the other hand, if you have more balls than brains you could probably do the same but you just won't be in control. Perfect example, we have a young kid at our local track that rides a 250f, his cornering skills need A LOT of work, but he hits the triples and everything else out there that the really fast riders are hitting. Yet alot of people that do the doubles instead of the triples blow right around him on the track because he isn't carrying alot of momentum through the turns. Anyone can hit the jumps if they have the balls, but that's not what makes you one of those really "fast" riders you see ripping around the track.

Yea, it's interesting that everyone knows that cornering is where the game is played but so many novice riders still get hung up on jumping. The other novice I end up battling all day at the track cannot figure out how I hang with him. He clears every jump. I don't. He's faster in straightaways and whoops. Yet there I am, on his tail, passing him in corners.

The best thing about corners for me is I can push my skills to the limit without getting killed. A couple of corner dismounts per practice session is not unusual.

This pretty much sums it up, but it also really depends on your current skill level, as in bike handling skills, how good your cornering is, and how confident you are in the air. Lap times are made in the corners, if you can corner fast, and are confident in the air, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to carry enough speed around the track to get over every jump. Your throttle control, and braking skills will be a huge factor in the momentum you carry.

On the other hand, if you have more balls than brains you could probably do the same but you just won't be in control. Perfect example, we have a young kid at our local track that rides a 250f, his cornering skills need A LOT of work, but he hits the triples and everything else out there that the really fast riders are hitting. Yet alot of people that do the doubles instead of the triples blow right around him on the track because he isn't carrying alot of momentum through the turns. Anyone can hit the jumps if they have the balls, but that's not what makes you one of those really "fast" riders you see ripping around the track.

I usually ride at a dirt track called burnt river. It's got mostly tables, a couple of doubles too. Doubles usually annoy me. Sometimes I rocket completely over them by too much speed and have a near dirt sample. Other times I'll undershoot it and I'll have to throw a seat bounce in midair to make sure I don't flip frontwards. I know full body positions for the track, sitting level and when to stand and how to keep the bike right, that's not the hard part for me. Neither is cornering.

The issue is getting the right speed to land nicely. Tables I usually get 3/4 of the top. There's some jumps that are smaller which I have no issue with. But I feel like a goon when I only get a little over a metre of air when I see younger guys nearly clearing the table. Again it's only like my 5th time at a track.

I've also had bad experiences at called Gopher Dunes. It's a sand track and the hardest one in Ontario. I would pin it in 4th gear all the way around and I overshot this tall hill and I reached a good height so I was feeling good. Next table top I tried had tons of ruts and I guess I didn't choose the right one because when I came down I came down hard. It was like 30° ( Really hot Fahrenheit) and I had to walk my bike off with a snapped front fender.