Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlyamkaw

Lake Wenachee Tie Trail-Maverick Saddle

36 posts in this topic

O.k. I will have to answer the question. Since we had 3 of the same model bike, we left my kid and his bike at the bottom while my friend and I rode the 2 good ones all the way to the road at the top of Billy Creek. We had a bite to eat while the bikes cooled then proceeded to drain the oil out of one bike into a Zip lock plastic container then poured it into empty water bottles. Once we got the oil drained, we removed the entire clutch cover from that same bike, put it in my back pack and I proceeded to ride back down that pig to remove the clutch cover off my kids bike and install the good clutch cover so he could ride it back up the trail. Once we got to the top, we installed the broken cover back on the other bike to keep dust out and I towed that bike all the way down the 5700 road to the entiat river road to cottonwood camp ground where we were staying. Talk about a pain. The people we camped by told us that there was a KTM dealer in Wenatchee about 1.5 hours away. This was on Friday and they were closed. Saturday morning, I used my satellite phone to call them and see if they had what we needed. I could not believe that they had 2 sight glasses and 2 clutch cover gaskets. Off my kid and I went while our friend got the bikes all apart ready to put back together upon our return. We got back, put them together and went riding. I now have a spare sight glass in my backpack. About 6-7 miles up north Tommy, my kid got a serious pinch flat and I didn't have a tube with me. We took the tube out and I tried to patch it but no luck so he rode the bike all the way back to camp on a flat. We fixed the flat rode for about 45 minutes after that and decided to call it quits. On Sunday we left. We didn't get to ride anywhere near as many miles as we had hoped.

:worthy:

TONY

You guys need a sight glass protector for the KTM. I think Lowedog on Thumpertalk had built a few extra of these. PM him and ask. I bought mine off ebay from a guy in Australia after this happened to a buddy and Lowedog made some similar.

I can't believe Condotta's had those parts in stock, lucky for you.

You guys need a sight glass protector for the KTM. I think Lowedog on Thumpertalk had built a few extra of these. PM him and ask. I bought mine off ebay from a guy in Australia after this happened to a buddy and Lowedog made some similar.

I can't believe Condotta's had those parts in stock, lucky for you.

Must be the only parts they stock for a KTM? :p

TONY

Too bad about the sight glass problems ... but I rode my 450EXC over 75 miles carrying my chainsaw Saturday and didn't see any trees over the trails at all. We parked at Alder Ridge and went down Chiwawa and up the Chikamin Tie. On top we went past Klone Pk and down Upper Tommy and then came back up Lower Tommy. BOY, is that trail great now! All the hours of work they've put into it really helped. We then came back down Alder Ridge. That alone was 75 miles ... but I put in another 19 miles looking for a late rider so I really had a 94 mile day. Great trails, no trees down, some dust, not bad heat ... and great ice cream cones at the store by Fish Lake on the way out!

Too bad about the sight glass problems ... but I rode my 450EXC over 75 miles carrying my chainsaw Saturday and didn't see any trees over the trails at all. We parked at Alder Ridge and went down Chiwawa and up the Chikamin Tie. On top we went past Klone Pk and down Upper Tommy and then came back up Lower Tommy. BOY, is that trail great now! All the hours of work they've put into it really helped. We then came back down Alder Ridge. That alone was 75 miles ... but I put in another 19 miles looking for a late rider so I really had a 94 mile day. Great trails, no trees down, some dust, not bad heat ... and great ice cream cones at the store by Fish Lake on the way out!

I got a quick question is the mad river trail from maverick saddle to mad lake open.

I got a quick question is the mad river trail from maverick saddle to mad lake open.

It is open!

TONY

Going back for the third time this summer... Tuesday and Wendsday we should be staying at Goose Creek on the River... This place is awsome I starting to call it my favorite place to ride.

I understand that there was and is a first rate crew of guys working for the Entiat Ranger District clearing the trails up at Mad River since last weekend.

I was there last weekend and confirmed that the trail from Maverick Saddle down stream was choked with too many trees to count. But a phone call today (Friday) indicates that the lower trail to Billy Creek should be open. I understand that they even worked on the brush and not just the trees.

I plan to camp at the Mad River Crossing Saturday evening but will be working up stream on some of the side trails that need work. Come along with me for a tour if you ride a Trials Bike or can ride a primitive trail without spinning your tire. I'll be on a new 07 Black and Red Gas Gas 300. But I don't think I'll be wearing the free riding pants and shirt that came along with the bike this time... WAY too much bright Orange fabric on my large body, I need to tone it down a notch. Will probably break out the old blue Trails Pants with white boots. ... Oh yes, I'll have a top handle Sthil 020T saw in my pack.:thumbsup:

a phone call today (Friday) indicates that the lower trail to Billy Creek should be open. I understand that they even worked on the brush and not just the trees.

I have never ridden the mad river trail downstream from Maverick Saddle very far. My group got stopped by trees not very far after the river crossing. Having that trail upen to Billy Creek would be nice. Going up Billy creek isn't too bad (I should know by now):banghead: and lets a group make a nice long loop.

a phone call today (Friday) indicates that the lower trail to Billy Creek should be open. I understand that they even worked on the brush and not just the trees.

I have never ridden the mad river trail downstream from Maverick Saddle very far. My group got stopped by trees not very far after the river crossing. Having that trail upen to Billy Creek would be nice. Going up Billy creek isn't too bad (I should know by now):banghead: and lets a group make a nice long loop.

I checked on Sunday (8-26-07) and the guys that were working on the upper Mad River trail TREAD said that the guys cutting the lower Mad River had not finished cutting all of it. But from what I did see, they are doing a great job by brushing it out too.

I worked all day Sunday cutting trees on the Hi-Yu trail. I left a few in places where it's easy to turn around just to give a taste of what's to come. I cut over 25 trees off the trail (I lost count around 25). About 1/3 of them required full length removal.

However, the rock section at the South end of the trail is even worse and more dangerous than before. And both of the dirt climbs at the middle and North end of the trail are heavily rutted even to the point of being dangerous. One of the ruts is about 6 feet deep from erosion so that a bike would fall in and be wedged solid! Much of the trail is easy, but the difficult parts are beyond "difficult"

If you enter the Hi-Yu trail at the South entrance, you will discover early how bad it is when you reach the ridge and can turn around no problem. If you enter the trail from the Lost Lake end, you can get sucked into the trail and get over your head with no easy way to turn back and THEN you will be forced to face the dangerous rock section at the South end of the trail.

What can I say? I use it as a Trials Challenge and a way to travel to my rock playground with no dust, but I certainly would not recommend it to any friend.... To someone I don't like? :thinking: .... Maybe. :devil::smirk:

You go get'em Kirk....and have a good time. ps :really nothing wrong with orange.

Joe

:smirk: Easy for YOU to say. Too many years of computer work and not enough riding, the amount of International Orange to cover me now is blinding! :eek:

But Sunday's Solo work party was a good start like "weapons of mass reduction" Almost killed myself! :cripple:;)

2Ply, when you say a trail is beyond difficult on your Trials Bike then I know it is not even under consideration on any of my bikes. I sure do appreciate you getting in there and checking on and clearing the trails for us. See ya on the trail some time. :thumbsup:

Thanks OMT. I like clearing trails and have been doing it for many years. You wouldn't know it from the times I've tried to follow you guys on a Cle Elum Volunteeer crew. I don't feel comfortable travelling as fast as you guys go so by the time I come up to a tree to be cleared by "the group", Mikki already has the saw out an all I can do is watch from the back of the line.... Wishing I could get one last jump over that log before she cuts it.:D

The problem with opening up a trail like the Hi-Yu is that I almost feel I'm doing a dis-service by opening up a trail to destruction.

A little History: It was 33 years ago this month that I discovered the Hi-Yu trail coming from Lost lake on my 74 Honda XL 350 on a solo ride. I swore to GOD that if he let me survive that ride and help me turn my bike around after helping me get it back up on the trail so I could get home, I would go buy a smaller bike before riding any more trails like that one. So now you know the REAL reason I ride a Trials Motorcycle and my connection to the Hi-Yu Trail.. Honest. :thumbsup::D