Lake Wenachee Tie Trail-Maverick Saddle

Here is an article taken from today's Wenatchee World. This would be great news, but it should have happened years ago! :)

I used to be one of the violators that used the road, then I got my bike plated. :D

Off-road vehicle trail project back on track

By Michelle Partridge, World staff writer

LAKE WENATCHEE - Seven years after the project was halted by environmentalists, the U.S. Forest Service is again proposing to build new off-road vehicle trails near Lake Wenatchee.

The agency released on March 8 a new environmental analysis saying the Goose-Maverick ORV Tie Trail would have little or no impact on wolf and grizzly bear habitat, old growth forests and northern spotted owl habitat, mule deer, birds, and sensitive plants.

The proposal is being reviewed by seven state and national conservation groups that challenged the project in 1997 in U.S. District Court, said Karl Forsgaard of the North Cascades Conservation Council, one of the seven. Their earlier concerns included impacts to wildlife and fish, and increased noise and erosion caused by motorcycles.

The other groups that plan to comment on the latest proposal include the Sierra Club, Mountaineers, Wilderness Society, Washington Trails Association, Northwest Ecosystem Alliance and Washington Wilderness Coalition, Forsgaard said. They will submit comments before the public comment period ends in early April, he said.

The project's initial environmental study was completed in 1997 and work began on the trails. A U.S. District Court judge later issued an injunction on the project after ruling that the Forest Service had not adequately addressed impacts to wildlife.

The new trails would connect the Lower Chiwawa Trail east of Lake Wenatchee with Maverick Saddle in the Entiat Ranger District, allowing motorcycles, mountain bikes, horses and hikers to reach the Mad River trails.

Motorcycles can now use the Chikamin Tie and Alder Ridge trails to reach the Entiat Valley late in the summer season. But there are no trails between Lake Wenatchee and Entiat that are open to motorized vehicles earlier than mid-July.

Many riders of non-street-legal motorcycles have illegally used a Forest Service road between Goose Creek Campground and Maverick Saddle to reach the Mad River trails, according to the analysis.

The proposal is to build more than three miles of new trails and a new bridge over Deep Creek, convert sections of roads to trail, and obliterate roads that are already closed to vehicles and about a mile and a half of unofficial trail that was created by users.

Forest officials estimate that about 1,700 motorcycles use the trail system each year, which would increase by about 10 percent with the new trails.

-

How to comment:

Call the Lake Wenatchee and Leavenworth Ranger Districts at 548-6977

By mail, to District Ranger Glenn Hoffman, Lake Wenatchee and Leavenworth Ranger Districts, 22976 Lake Wenatchee Highway, Leavenworth, 98826.

Fax to (509)763-3211, or

e-mailed to comments-pacificnorthwest-wenatchee-lakewenatchee-leavenworth@fs.fed.us.

For more information, call Roger Ross at 763-3103, Ext. 230.

Comments must be received by the U.S. Forest Service by April 11.

Copies of the document are available at the Lake Wenatchee Ranger District, 22976 Highway 207.

I know this thread is from 2004 but I just got back from Goose Creek and was wondering the same thing about a trail from goose creek to maverick saddle. Did anything ever come of this proposal? Whats the easiest way to maverick saddle? I rode my pops KLR up the 6101 road to maverick saddle and would not like to drive my truck or trailer anything up that logging road... Also the tree over the lower chiwawa really made the riding selection limited for me on my CR. The tree is probaly two miles from camp after the second road crossing coming from goose creek. I sure wish we would of brought a saw. I'll be back soon....

JR...I too agree with the need for a way to get from goose to maverick....either that or fix the road to maverick and put in a camping area there so we can all get there to enjoy the trails on that side! second option would be to allow legal riding on the road from goose to maverick. by the way, we too were camping at goose the last 3 days and also had fun getting over that log. that was the worst one in our entire 51 mile loop on thursday and its only 2 miles out. the good news is that my brother and i were talking to 2 rangers headed that way with a saw on friday ( this was on top of alder though), and we told them about it.

Joe

Joe,

Was one of those rangers Mason Schuur? He's been great about providing trail conditions to me to post here.

I'm heading up this Saturday 8/18 with my chainsaw and will be happy to cut out any known trees. Where are they?

Byron

There was one on the Middle Tommy, and the lower Billy trails had not been cleared as of last weekend. Riding down from Tyee to the gate is like driving through a lumber-yard with all of the downed and cut trees! I am not sure about some of the other trails, we had to cut our ride short due to one of the riders taking a corner too fast on the 5700 Rd and eating a downed tree. :bonk:

TONY

I was there last weekend and cleared about 5 trees on trail 1418. The Billy Creek trail down to the Mad River Trail is blocked at the bottom of the canyon with too many trees for my little saw to cut. I fear that even if you did get it clear to the Mad River trail, you would have to turn around and go right back up it as the Mad River Trail is screwed (I think). We cleared a few trees on the Devils Backbone Trail. All the trails on that side of Lake Creek were clear except trail 1265. We rode every other trail and no problems. Those are some great trails. Middle Tommy is really dry and dusty (powder). It was starting to rain on Sunday when we left so maybe the dust got knocked down a little.

the Mad River Trail is screwed (I think).

from downed trees? or is there other damage?

I'm not sure. This is the second year that my group has attempted to reach the Mad River trail with no luck. Its almost as if they are just letting the thing go. Billy creek is a real pain in the switchback area. Someone has spent a lot of time clearing the upper half of that trail and it is an awesome trail at the top. As soon as you start down into the canyon, things change quickly. It is heavily overgrown, the switchbacks are falling apart and there are several trees down at the bottom right at the little creek crossing. Building that trail on the steep face must have taken some serious time. It is a shame to see that it is just going away. That whole area seems to be going away which is a shame. There are a lot of trail miles there to just loose. At the top of the Billy Creek trail, there is what appears to be a brand new sign so I am wondering if clearing/improvement are on the way.

My brother and i rode the maverick saddle area last saturday and our first choice was mad river trail...first thing we saw was an official sign stating that mad was not maintained. we went anyway and after the first 1/4 ile turned around as there were definitely many trees across it. dilly...dont think the ranger was mason, he was a 30is guy that says he motocrosses when not patrolling. also, dakota: was that your group my bro' and i were on middle tommy? saw a group of 3? ktms with oregon plates and one had a chainsaw...i asked if one guy was alex as i heard his voice and thought it was tonys kid ( before i saw the plate). i was on the ktm 300, bro' has a honda 250x.

Joe

I have to laugh at that original article. The trail won't impact grizzly bear or wolf habitat. Hah! Grizzlies and wolves at Lake Wenatchee. No way. Now go north and you might see one of the alleged 50 grizzlies that inhabit the North Cascades but that is about it. I'll be taking a quick weekend to Foggy Dew/Sawtooth. I'll photograph all the grizzlies I see, and wolves for that matter. And I won't forget the blonde sasquatch either.

Greg

From what I have heard from the FS and riders it is both trees and trail damage. It has not been fixed from the flash floods last June 2006 or really maintained since then. Now with fire season it probably will not be cleared this year either.

If we dont maintain it, it will not get done!

TONY

dakota: was that your group my bro' and i were on middle tommy? saw a group of 3? ktms with oregon plates and one had a chainsaw...i asked if one guy was alex as i heard his voice and thought it was tonys kid ( before i saw the plate). i was on the ktm 300, bro' has a honda 250x.

Joe

As a matter of fact, if I remember right, my response to you when you asked me if my name was Alex was "nope". That was us. We headed to couger mountain from their then down 1418 where we cleared 4 or 5 trees then to Billy Creek where we had a little problem with my kids bike. He broke the oil sight glass at the bottom of the switchback section just before you cross the little creek...all the way at the bottom of the canyon. Now you figure out how we got the bike out of there...Oh yeah, if you mistook me for a 17 or 18 year old, I don't know whether to thank you or tell you that you need glasses, I'm 43. In great shape of coarse:blush: . Thanks for the compliment. Anyway, hope you guys had fun that day. You should have kept asking names. I was the guy with the saw on the bike.

Mark

Well, nice to meet up with you sort of, mark...of course when i asked if you were Alex, you had a helmet on ;) you just sounded like him. also, werent you the group that wanted to meet up with me and others from WA last summer for a camping trip you were planning? anyway, thanks for the tree work and glad you guys got back safe ( was any bubblegum used to fix the hole?).

Joe

......... And I won't forget the blonde sasquatch either.

Greg

:eek: Then I wasn't just seeing things eh? I thought her sister was better looking and better smelling too... :smirk:

Well, nice to meet up with you sort of, mark...of course when i asked if you were Alex, you had a helmet on ;) you just sounded like him. also, werent you the group that wanted to meet up with me and others from WA last summer for a camping trip you were planning? anyway, thanks for the tree work and glad you guys got back safe ( was any bubblegum used to fix the hole?).

Joe

Yes, last year I talked to you on the phone but I couldn't commit to a date so I didn't want to keep jerking you around. As far as how we got the bike out of there, lets see if anyone on this thread can come up with the same solution as we did. Remember we were at the bottom of a pretty steep trail with a broken oil sight glass. The bike had lost almost all of its oil. We got it out the same day and we didn't tow it out. I'll give this guessing game a little while before I give the answer.

Yes, last year I talked to you on the phone but I couldn't commit to a date so I didn't want to keep jerking you around. As far as how we got the bike out of there, lets see if anyone on this thread can come up with the same solution as we did. Remember we were at the bottom of a pretty steep trail with a broken oil sight glass. The bike had lost almost all of its oil. We got it out the same day and we didn't tow it out. I'll give this guessing game a little while before I give the answer.

Two trips to Mad River in two years and two major incidents.....:banghead: Will you be back for a third?:p

I used the bubblegum trick a few years ago at Saddle Mtn. I am starting to think I need to pack a extra sight glass on the trail now. Have known a couple of bikes to break them:eek: Was it a stick or rock that broke the sight glass Mark?

Let me guess, you used pine tar and drained a bit of oil out of the other bikes????:prof:

TONY

Two trips to Mad River in two years and two major incidents.....:banghead: Will you be back for a third?:p

I used the bubblegum trick a few years ago at Saddle Mtn. I am starting to think I need to pack a extra sight glass on the trail now. Have known a couple of bikes to break them:eek: Was it a stick or rock that broke the sight glass Mark?

Let me guess, you used pine tar and drained a bit of oil out of the other bikes????:prof:

TONY

No bubble gum. I don't know how he broke it. I'm not sure about a 3rd trip up there. I have to do some research for next year. A guy I talked to at camp said there is a good bit of riding around the Blewett pass area, which we came right over. As far away as that is for us, I want to make sure I go to a well maped area so we can get some nice long rides in. I don't really want to go to and area where we have to search for trails to make a loop. Thats fine for the local area's we ride down here but not for trips that far away. This is where I could use some help from the forum. Those trails up at Wenatchee are very nice but we have almost ridden all of them. I'm ready for a new area. I don't really want to go to Nachees again either. We rode a good chunk of those trails and I didn't care to much for them. Too choppy...almost shook my teeth out on most of the ones we rode. You see if it is mapped, I can really get us out in the middle of nowhere so I can keep these adventures interesting:banghead:

the loss of oil reminds me of the time i rode walker valley and i had just ended my ride when i overheard two guys next to me that were not happy. seems that one had forgotten to refill his oil at home the previous day while changing it. we ended up draining my still warm oil out of my bike and poured it into his....problem solved. is this what you guys did?

Joe

the loss of oil reminds me of the time i rode walker valley and i had just ended my ride when i overheard two guys next to me that were not happy. seems that one had forgotten to refill his oil at home the previous day while changing it. we ended up draining my still warm oil out of my bike and poured it into his....problem solved. is this what you guys did?

Joe

How about the broken glass? Got a solution for that one?

O.k. I will have to answer the question. Since we had 3 of the same model bike, we left my kid and his bike at the bottom while my friend and I rode the 2 good ones all the way to the road at the top of Billy Creek. We had a bite to eat while the bikes cooled then proceeded to drain the oil out of one bike into a Zip lock plastic container then poured it into empty water bottles. Once we got the oil drained, we removed the entire clutch cover from that same bike, put it in my back pack and I proceeded to ride back down that pig to remove the clutch cover off my kids bike and install the good clutch cover so he could ride it back up the trail. Once we got to the top, we installed the broken cover back on the other bike to keep dust out and I towed that bike all the way down the 5700 road to the entiat river road to cottonwood camp ground where we were staying. Talk about a pain. The people we camped by told us that there was a KTM dealer in Wenatchee about 1.5 hours away. This was on Friday and they were closed. Saturday morning, I used my satellite phone to call them and see if they had what we needed. I could not believe that they had 2 sight glasses and 2 clutch cover gaskets. Off my kid and I went while our friend got the bikes all apart ready to put back together upon our return. We got back, put them together and went riding. I now have a spare sight glass in my backpack. About 6-7 miles up north Tommy, my kid got a serious pinch flat and I didn't have a tube with me. We took the tube out and I tried to patch it but no luck so he rode the bike all the way back to camp on a flat. We fixed the flat rode for about 45 minutes after that and decided to call it quits. On Sunday we left. We didn't get to ride anywhere near as many miles as we had hoped.