Racing after total hip replacement?

I've not been through it but wish you luck. They are a lot of ways to have fun on two wheels. Just focus on getting through the surgery, recovering, getting through the physical therapy and getting to the point you can throw a leg back over the bike. If you can get there you've won.

Doc

• Like 1

I'm 54, been riding over 30years, shattered the top of my tibia in August. I've been hurt plenty of times, but had never broken a bone riding a dirtbike, at my age it's gonna be rough to not be able to ride again at the level I'm accustomed to. Not real sure I'm gonna be able to walk without a limp again either. I'm probably gonna continue to ride a motorcycle, just not in the dirt that much, I'll maybe try supermoto? Is your hip injury the result of a crash, or is it just a getting old thing? Anyways, good luck on the surgery. I have a buddy that had a hip replacement a few years ago, it went well for him and he's over 65

I'm 58 and broke my right femur on October 21 in a road bicycle crash. Have a rod and a few screws in it now, things seem to be healing well, am going back to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully will be released to full weight bearing so I can start working on walking again. I'm in the same boat as the rest of you here, wondering about the future.

First order of business of course is to be able to walk and get back to work, the dirt bike I figure will take a bit longer. It's my kicker leg so in order to ride it, I must first be able to start it. No small chore with a YZ250. But I've got all winter to train and rebuild myself, so it should be good by spring.

To the OP, the main thing in a speedy (as possible) recovery I believe, is your mind set and attitude. Focus as much as possible on said recovery, obey doctor's orders religiously at the start, but then push it as hard as you possible can after the initial healing has been completed. There will be some bad days in there, but you can minimize them by focusing on the end result. Boredom has been my biggest issue, that and the annoyance of dealing with a walker and crutches, and just generally not being able to do the things you normally take for granted.

Just remember, from day one, the end is in sight. Focus on it and head in that direction. ?

The all important thing I tell everyone with a serious injury.  Its all about the physical therapy.  And not just any PT, find one that is an expert on sports PT.  2 of my last 3 injury/surgeries I worked hard with an expert in sports PT and came back stronger than ever.

• Like 1

Joint replacement is a lot different than rehab or repair, even with plates and screws.  To start, all that hardware is a magnet for infection.  If something breaks, you're in for a bigger surgery than the first, and very possibly more than just one surgery.  Every time they open you up, you risk getting an infection which could be very difficult or even impossible to get rid of.  Lifetime antibiotics aren't unheard of.  The replacement parts wear, but since they aren't human, no bodily function repairs them.  Just like your bike parts, they have a life expectancy and will eventually need to be replaced.... sooner if you beat on them.

Believe me, I'm a risk taker; an adrenaline junky.  I'm very competitive and I love to race.  If my head were chopped off, I would only need one good excuse to still ride .  I'm never the one to tell someone they shouldn't and I hate when someone tells me I shouldn't.   But in this case, I hate to say, I think it would be best to put your days of competitive racing behind you. ?  

• Like 1

• Experts

Follow the physical therapy to the T!  You will have plenty of time to strengthen and improve your flexibility; however, if you rush back without being healed correctly, you will only extend your recovery time and increase your scar tissue (due to micro trauma tearing from doing too much too soon).  

Please keep me posted.

-Coach Robb