Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders

Supercross

Round 1 of the 2017 Monster Energy Supercross series is set to kick off on January 7th, here is what we know. Supercross in 2017 is stacked deep with contenders in the 450 class. For this preview I will break the riders into three groups; Championship Contenders, The Pack, and Outside The Top 10.

2017 will be the year Ken Roczen figures how to put it all together in Supercross and win the championship. He has shown us flashes especially when pushing Dungey, even when Dungey looked unbeatable. Roczen left the RCH Suzuki team in favor of Factory Honda which seemed at first like a weird move to make since he dominated the outdoors series on the Suzuki. The thing about this is his deal with Honda was signed before outdoors had started. Ken had past issues with the Suzuki and the team in 2015, but appeared to have those problems resolved. I spoke with an insider at RCH who told me it was all about that money. With the amount of money Honda is paying Ken I think he would have agreed to ride an XR 650! He signed the deal without even riding the bike, yeah they gave him that much money. And while Justin Barcia continues to claim he is the bigger baller on Instagram Roczen’s contract is something Barcia will never see in his career, plus he is overpaid at JGR. Will Ken overcome the same growing pains he experienced when he left KTM after winning the 2014 outdoor title? He definitely showed us at Monster Cup that he is fast, and his crash was a fluke. I expect he will be dominant this season and bring Honda their first title since the Ricky Carmichael days.

Marvin Musquin will be Roczen’s toughest competitor this season. Marvin will win races, that’s a fact, but until he figures out how to blast through the whoops like Roczen, Tomac and Dungey he will only be a threat to win on tracks with small whoop sections. His smooth style will make him untouchable on some tracks and cost him time on others. He will win races this year, but unless something sidelines Roczen I don't see him challenging for a title.

Ryan Dungey will do what the “Diesel” does best; podium everyone to death and grab a few wins when things are going his way. I don’t see him having the blazing speed of Roczen and Musquin on a week in and week out basis. Dungey is older and returning from his first major injury as a professional (fractured vertebrae). I think he will finish strong, but unless the stars align he doesn’t have a chance without the speed he showed last year.

Eli Tomac is a riddle, sometimes he looks like the fastest man on earth but he hasn't figured out how to translate that speed in 450 Supercross. The Tomac camp thought switching to the Kawasaki would fix the issue, but it hasn't been the fairy tale they hoped. In fairness, he did enter last season with very little testing and still recovering from double shoulder surgery. 2017 is a big year for Eli, if he doesn't do something great his star could fade into the Justin Barcia and Trey Canard category. The first few rounds will let us know if he can translate his outdoor speed indoors. Eli has a lot of pressure from Kawasaki this year, as their second rider is Josh Grant who will be lucky to crack the top 10. Eli will have to balance the pressure of being Kawasaki’s only hope and rise to the occasion.

Stay tuned, we will be bringing more info on riders and any news leading up to A1.

Next: Part 2 The pack

This post has been promoted to a wiki

The level of intestinal compaction handed out by Roczen and the HRC 450 will be unheard of. I'm talking about making every opponent shit bucketfuls of diamonds. They might as well cancel the SX season and move into outdoors. Wait....never mind, more butt diamonds there too. Maybe just cancel 2017 altogether.

Redrider144, love your enthusiasm and I do agree Roczen is the favorite. With the internet jabs(or bombs) he has been throwing at Aldon Baker the riders coming out of the Bakery will be aimed straight at the #94.

Redrider144, love your enthusiasm and I do agree Roczen is the favorite. With the internet jabs(or bombs) he has been throwing at Aldon Baker the riders coming out of the Bakery will be aimed straight at the #94.

Dungey will probably try to pull the same D-bone maneuver on Roczen at A1 like he did to James this year. The others in the bakery will have orders to shoot on site. Roczen hates baked goods though so he will be ready for it.

As of every year in the recent past the critics have already written off Dungey to not win the championship before the season is even underway. God I love to watch people eat crow lol.

As of every year in the recent past the critics have already written off Dungey to not win the championship before the season is even underway. God I love to watch people eat crow lol.

+1

In the article it states "I spoke with an insider at RCH who told me it was all about that money. With the amount of money Honda is paying Ken I think he would have agreed to ride an XR 650! He signed the deal without even riding the bike, yeah they gave him that much money. HHMMM sounds like championship material or narcissism?

Who has the hardware? It is Dungey's to lose and if a consistent rendering of historical events is considered, then Dungey is the man. If you want to be speculatory, KROC is your guy.

Thankfully the article did give Mooseskin the props he deserves. He is fast and when I take an over view of his rookie 450 season, he is going to be a serious contender. He built strength on top of strength, kept his cool at Southwick, and got consistently better as the season progressed. The tentativeness displayed in the first few rounds of SX and then at MX soon dissolved, by the mid to closing rounds he was attacking the track and I noticed he searches a bit more now looking for the faster line when and if he should need it and came up with some rather creative riding.

I am sorry but KROC has the speed and flashes of brilliance but it will be overcome by irresponsibility and a commitment to self, something that separates Dungey's career and KROC's and I believe could lead to the proverbial "comet falling out of the sky" for some of you.

In the article it states "I spoke with an insider at RCH who told me it was all about that money.

Sour grapes from a team that lost their rider and their main sponsor.

Edited by redrider144

OK RED when was the last year Honda had a 450 rider that completed a sx and mx season without injuries?

The sponsor was contingent on having a rider capable of winning. Sorry, but Broc Tickle and Justin Bogle won't win. I do like that they have Weimer as a "fill in" rider though.

LMAO at this experts OPINION. Way to just totally discredit Dungeys absolute domination the past two years. 

"Ryan Dungey will do what the “Diesel” does best; podium everyone to death and grab a few wins when things are going his way." Really?  Grab a few wins? So Dungeys 17 wins VS Kens 7 wins in two years is the occasional win?   When things go his way? Like when he passed Ken at St Luis and Vegas and pulled away both times?  Dungey has won over 50% of the races and has passed more people the past 2 years, thats a bit better then occasional and when things go his way. 

If youre going to bash Barcia, you should have your facts straight, Ken 100% picked that fight with Barcia. 

I think you should continue with these write ups,its well written,  but seriously, in order to keep your credibility you need to put your love for one rider VS another in check. 

Edited by GBowman

Isn't it standard in contracts for first right of refusal.....basically RCH could have matched kennys Honda offer....so do you really lose a rider.....it's more like......I don't want you to go but I can't or won't pay you what they are.........

Exactly.  Dungey is the champ until proven otherwise.  Clearly fast enough to win more than a couple and smart enough to keep it upright and get on the podium every race.  Who else can we really say that about?  Roczen has not proven yet in supercross that he can keep it upright every time.  Look no further than the MEC.   This may be his year, we shall see, but I still expect Dungey to win the series despite how wonderful Roczen was outdoors. 

LMAO at this experts OPINION. Way to just totally discredit Dungeys absolute domination the past two years. 

"Ryan Dungey will do what the “Diesel” does best; podium everyone to death and grab a few wins when things are going his way." Really?  Grab a few wins? So Dungeys 17 wins VS Kens 7 wins in two years is the occasional win?   When things go his way? Like when he passed Ken at St Luis and Vegas and pulled away both times?  Dungey has won over 50% of the races and has passed more people the past 2 years, thats a bit better then occasional and when things go his way. 

If youre going to bash Barcia, you should have your facts straight, Ken 100% picked that fight with Barcia. 

I think you should continue with these write ups,its well written,  but seriously, in order to keep your credibility you need to put your love for one rider VS another in check. 

Come on bowman,  Dungey is 5 years older than Roczen.  Dungey was in his prime the last two years, Roczen was hurt in 15.  Don't read too much into the 17-7 bs.   Roczen got his bike mojo right near the end of sx last year and it carried over into the outdoors.   Dungey was fortunate to break his back, had he had to race Roczen for the full outdoor season he would have been pummeled  throughout.   Rocz just turned 22,  sorry Dungey, you had your day.   

Exactly.  Dungey is the champ until proven otherwise.  Clearly fast enough to win more than a couple and smart enough to keep it upright and get on the podium every race.  Who else can we really say that about?  Roczen has not proven yet in supercross that he can keep it upright every time.  Look no further than the MEC.   This may be his year, we shall see, but I still expect Dungey to win the series despite how wonderful Roczen was outdoors. 

I got $100 that says Dungey doesn't win the series?   If you expect him to win, then bet it.

All too close for me to call...krock seems to be on game, but it is his first year on a new bike...hummm...

I believe dungey is on the back side of his pro curve....but mister consistency curve is huge....

Tomac IS the fastest guy out there but his wheels can come off and he seems more outdoor than in to me...

I just hope upon hope that this is not another year of one guy just dominating....snooze..

Edited by daled

Come on bowman,  Dungey is 5 years older than Roczen.  Dungey was in his prime the last two years, Roczen was hurt in 15.  Don't read too much into the 17-7 bs.   Roczen got his bike mojo right near the end of sx last year and it carried over into the outdoors.   Dungey was fortunate to break his back, had he had to race Roczen for the full outdoor season he would have been pummeled  throughout.   Rocz just turned 22,  sorry Dungey, you had your day.   

I'm not saying Dungey is going to win next year, my crystal ball is foggy on that one. What I'm saying is Dungey did much, much better than the author gives him credit for. Dungey did a bit more than podium and collect a few wins when the opportunity rose, he flat dominated supercross the past two years and that's a fact.

Dungey had the points lead in 15 when Roczen got hurt so just stop with that excuse .  

OK RED when was the last year Honda had a 450 rider that completed a sx and mx season without injuries?

2017. Roczen. SX / MX champion.

I got $100 that says Dungey doesn't win the series?   If you expect him to win, then bet it.

I do expect him to win.  Why do I need to bet it?

I do expect him to win. Why do I need to bet it?

Most people say things for whatever reason, things they know deep down aren't true. but when asked to bet they won't. Makes you question their conviction. If you say it, and feel it, why not bet it?

Most people say things for whatever reason, things they know deep down aren't true. but when asked to bet they won't. Makes you question their conviction. If you say it, and feel it, why not bet it?

You should take your own advice.