Own a 2017 Beta?

Sad, Red hoses run 10 degrees hotter than the Blue ones...... :foul:
Joking aside, I was surprised how close the hoses come to the oversized IMS tank, inmate contact.....

I'm looking for a red billet radiator cap to offset the temperature gain of red hoses, with the plus of 5 additional hp. [emoji2]
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 1:01 PM, frdsrck said:

I switched to 13-50 gearing and while that works great in the trails, it is much too low for the street for sure.  Not that I ride much on the pavement, but I will do more in the later summer when it gets hot.  Not sure if I'll go back to stock 15-48 or try something else.  Has anyone run 15-50 or 14-48 or 14-50?  Would like to find something that is a happy medium and not be switching sprockets all the time.  Also would like to stick with my 50T rear as I bought the nice bi-metal supersprox style one. Guess I'll just get 14T front and try both that and the 15T and see.

I've tried 14/48 and 15/50. I'm currently running 15/50 as it's about the perfect compromise for most of my riding. 14/48 isn't bad at all. I decided to go with a 50T rear sprocket and run 15/50 most of the time and then when needed I'll drop the 14T on the front. I prefer to run larger diameter sprockets for both chain wear and keeping the chain away from the swingarm.

You can play around with the ratios on gearingcommander.com There is data for the 500 RR-S bikes, you have to search Betamotor, then RR, then 500 S, it will show up as a 2017. The 430/500 have the same internal gearing, the 350/390 has a lower primary ratio.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, danketchpel said:

I've tried 14/48 and 15/50. I'm currently running 15/50 as it's about the perfect compromise for most of my riding. 14/48 isn't bad at all. I decided to go with a 50T rear sprocket and run 15/50 most of the time and then when needed I'll drop the 14T on the front. I prefer to run larger diameter sprockets for both chain wear and keeping the chain away from the swingarm.

You can play around with the ratios on gearingcommander.com There is data for the 500 RR-S bikes, you have to search Betamotor, then RR, then 500 S, it will show up as a 2017. The 430/500 have the same internal gearing, the 350/390 has a lower primary ratio.

I also switched from factory 15/48 to 14/48 and it seems to be a good compromise for adventure type.  Rain mode also helps in the woods with taming the snappy throttle response.  

Ive got a little seat time on my 300rr now and I'm really enjoying it.  I'm kinda comparing it to my woods converted 250sx, that's what I bought it to replace because I like very technical riding.  Its heavier and the clutch pull is harder I find myself using two fingers pretty early in the ride, and the power is way more mellow, but it feels more planted and doesn't need near the clutch work, it lugs super low.  As for the power delivery, I actually like it mellow, it makes it easier to find traction an that's what technical riding is about. I know I can adjust the PV but I don't feel its necessary.  I think the suspension feels pretty good, it took a few hours on the bike for it to kinda breakin and get a good feel along with some clicker settings. I took it out on a Mx track and hit some 50+ foot doubles with no problems I wouldn't push it much more than that I know its not a mx bike. So what I like about is I can ride it for a lot longer with out getting as tired, every thing seems so much easier on it, and it gives me more confidence ecspecialy on hill climbs.  I think it is the bike that I wanted my sx too be, but you can only do so much to an mx bike, plus I got electric start and don't overheat all the time.  The only complaints are the kickstand its about useless, the kill switch location, and the stock tires don't work that well in my terrain. Overall I love this bike.

• Like 6

On 6/16/2017 at 7:17 AM, Adam ES said:

Ive got a little seat time on my 300rr now and I'm really enjoying it.  I'm kinda comparing it to my woods converted 250sx, that's what I bought it to replace because I like very technical riding.  Its heavier and the clutch pull is harder I find myself using two fingers pretty early in the ride, and the power is way more mellow, but it feels more planted and doesn't need near the clutch work, it lugs super low.  As for the power delivery, I actually like it mellow, it makes it easier to find traction an that's what technical riding is about. I know I can adjust the PV but I don't feel its necessary.  I think the suspension feels pretty good, it took a few hours on the bike for it to kinda breakin and get a good feel along with some clicker settings. I took it out on a Mx track and hit some 50+ foot doubles with no problems I wouldn't push it much more than that I know its not a mx bike. So what I like about is I can ride it for a lot longer with out getting as tired, every thing seems so much easier on it, and it gives me more confidence ecspecialy on hill climbs.  I think it is the bike that I wanted my sx too be, but you can only do so much to an mx bike, plus I got electric start and don't overheat all the time.  The only complaints are the kickstand its about useless, the kill switch location, and the stock tires don't work that well in my terrain. Overall I love this bike.

Switch the horn button with the kill switch, easy to do and makes more sense.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, makavellu said:

Hi all,

Just got the new Beta 300rr 2017 .

How much Oil do you put in gearbox ?The manual says 850ml but when I filled up with ( about 1000ml ), oil does not come from  "Check Oil " hole.

Thanks guys.

Congrats on your new steed, good choice...most folks here just ignore the weep hole... follow Beta manual... fill to 850ml.... then go ride!

Edited by MarantzManiac

So I rode my new BETA 390 RR-S up to the local supercross track yesterday thinking of possibly giving it a shot.  They have Wednesday practices.  I wasn't looking to prep for racing or anything like that, jut wanted to have fun.  I had no idea what to expect.  The supposedly softer suspension had me worried that after a lap or two, I would find out that it was a dumb idea.  Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised!  The BETA performed much better than I had expected.  Especially in the motor department.  The 390 is incredibility usable and still rips when you ask it to.  Riding just for fun and not pushing it to hard, the suspension handled all the doubles I timed correctly.  I could see where if I was on a motorcross track with some larger jumps, I wouldn't want to attempt them.  Only because if I were to overshoot, which can happen on occasion, it would be a world of pain!  I have to say I am very happy that I bought this bike.  It has done everything I have hoped to use it for better than I have expected.  There were certainly some other riders there who where surprised to be chasing a tail light.

Edited by PsYcK_1
  • Like 13

• 4 months later...
On 4/30/2017 at 2:37 PM, Brock Warwick said:

1st ride yesterday after changing the stock crap front tire and installing 13 tooth cs sprocket and what a day.  The bike is now rideable in the desert for me.  3rd time out and the first time I had real confidence and rhythm all day. 

New issue though...there were intermittent times when I was being shocked electrically, through my gloves at the levers.  Stronger shock at the clutch lever.  Removed seat, headlight cover, side panels etc  and of course, no obvious signs are visible. Stock bike with the exception of plug and play replacement headlight.  Li Ion battery. 294 miles, 16 hrs on bike.

Anyone else experience this?

As a follow up to being shocked/feeling current at the bars through my gloves, I noticed it only happened under power lines in the desert.  No issues since!

• 1 month later...

Ok, My 2017 Beta 350RRS was acting funny on the trails, so I took it into the shop (still under warrantee). The bike has about 550 miles on it, all offroad. Turns out that the throttle body was apparently defective, hopefully it's covered. This is my first offroad FI bike and I miss my Carb. If it broke I could fix it, not so sure about this FI thing that needs a computer to tell you it's broken. Maybe I'm old fashion. Anyway, like the bike (when it's running), but hopefully this is not an indication of what owning this thing will be.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've made my assessment of the Betas now. I rode a crf250r for a long time. Nice bike. Engine work done to it by Ron Hamp. Been on a yz250f for a few years. Not the handleing of a honda, but zero valve issues. Rode a guys beta 480, and damn, what a bike! Smooth. Awesome brakes. Linear. I'd like to buy a 300 rr. But here's my opinion of beta. It's the BMW of motorbikes. It takes more maintenance and It's not a reliable jap bike. 

7 minutes ago, Rooster73 said:

So I've made my assessment of the Betas now. I rode a crf250r for a long time. Nice bike. Engine work done to it by Ron Hamp. Been on a yz250f for a few years. Not the handleing of a honda, but zero valve issues. Rode a guys beta 480, and damn, what a bike! Smooth. Awesome brakes. Linear. I'd like to buy a 300 rr. But here's my opinion of beta. It's the BMW of motorbikes. It takes more maintenance and It's not a reliable jap bike. 

You'd be completely wrong. I've only had one bike leave me stranded in the woods...that was my yz250 after one of the subvalves decided to drop into the cylinder. I've got about 230 hours so far on my '15 300 race edition and it's been dead-nutz reliable. The only real weakness of the Beta 2 strokes is the wiring which, aside from the oil injection(I'd remove it), won't actually leave you stranded. I ended up removing all the superfluous crap(horn, computer, brake sensors, turn signal wires, etc.) and I've had no issues. Everything else lasts longer than my old yz250.(Piston, clutch, bearings, etc.)

• Like 1

Ok. Well Id be hard pressed to hear that about a yz. Questions. What computer did you pull off? And are you saying the oil injection makes you nervous? How do feel the 300rr does in the steep steep stuff compared to the big bore four strokes?

19 minutes ago, Rooster73 said:

Sierra posted just as I was starting to answer your post. So far my 2014 Beta has been as reliable as my several YZ 250's and I have not had any problems other than a horn that decided to quit shortly after purchasing it. It is still tight with good power and compression.

• Like 1

Only bike I had to walk out of the woods with was my 01 RM250. Many other bikes both Euro and Japanese and never a walk out incident until that RM about 2 years ago. Cylinder head ate the O ring gaskets causing coolant to rush in and compression to go out. 

Ok. Well Id be hard pressed to hear that about a yz. Questions. What computer did you pull off? And are you saying the oil injection makes you nervous? How do feel the 300rr does in the steep steep stuff compared to the big bore four strokes?

I prefer my 300 over my yz450 with big flywheel for several reasons. The biggest reason being that it shows no sign of wanting to die if I get in a jam lugging real low if I’m not in the sweet spot of clutching. 300 is very forgiving, both motor and suspension wise on the big hills
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rooster73 said:

I pulled off the crappy enduro computer made by Trailtech. The oil injection is simply there for European emissions compliance and is made as cheaply as possible. Luckily my bike didn't come with it, but I wouldn't trust it at all.

As far as a comparison against big-bore 4 strokes, it depends on the kinda hill. If it's a big horsepower hill, I'd choose a big 4 stroke or a 500 2 stroke anytime. If you throw in some roots, a couple of logs, and a bunch of switchbacks...that's the 300's forte.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 10:00 PM, tnttimber said:

I'll usually let anyone ride my bikes.... But Since you are a state of Jeferson dip shit I think I'll pass. Typical of you to declare you will destroy a perfectly good motorcycle with reckless behavior rather than exibiting enough skill to navigate the terrain safely and responsibly. Arguing for the sake of arguing

Your to serious. He’s is joking. Geez

Since this is the Own a 2017 Beta thread I'll try this here.
Looking at a well maintained 17 rr- here's the add.

"This is a 2017 300RR Race.  This one has the Beta high compression head, unibiker radiator guards, aluminum skid plate, carbon fiber pipe protector and the stock red plastic kit with graphics.  These were taken off when the bike was brand new.  Rims will be scuffed up a bit from running foam inserts.  This bike has 66 hrs.  and about 900 miles on it. "

What's it worth?