Need help with drain plug

Dave-Ouch! I just had to extract a case drain bolt from a 99 400F. It wasn't pretty. Took heat, an easy-out and a punch tapping in the counterclockwise direction. I was never so glad to see a bolt give up in my life! When she broke free, she was finger loose all the way out.

Now-Back to your problem. I'll state my fix here strictly as my own personal opinion/well-educated guess. What I would do if I were in your shoes and wanted to get out as easily as possible is to place the bike on a stand in the upright position and then drill and tap to the next largest size metric thread (from 8mm-9mm, I think). The drill will extract its own filings for the most part. The tap should be run in only a couple rotations at a time and then backed completely out and cleaned of all shavings. Once the new hole is entirely threaded, I would run at least a couple quarts of oil through the case to flush out any renegade filings that may still be lingering in the area just inside the hole. Remember, a magnet won't do any good on those aluminum filings. Good luck, man! ?

Oops-Forgot to mention that the Kawasaki magnetic drain plugs are one thread size larger than the YZ's, so you can replace your current plug with a Moose or MSR magnetic drain plug.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: BigLou ]