Dead engine starts, YZ450FX

Just curious, if anyone is racing hare scrambles on their 450FX. In years past, on my carburated KTM'S, I would use the button AND the kicker for dead engine starts. Made for super fast, guaranteed no flame out engine fires.

Was curious, if this works the same on an FI bike, or if it's harmful or otherwise a bad idea. Thanks for the input.

Probably quicker to just electric start and use a lithium battery.

Just curious, if anyone is racing hare scrambles on their 450FX. In years past, on my carburated KTM'S, I would use the button AND the kicker for dead engine starts. Made for super fast, guaranteed no flame out engine fires.

Was curious, if this works the same on an FI bike, or if it's harmful or otherwise a bad idea. Thanks for the input.

Yes it works fine with FI.

You have to pre-pressue the pump within a few minutes of starting, by putting it in gear, clutch out, and hitting the starter button.

That will activate the pump and bring it up to pressure, but not start the bike.

Then estart/kick with clutch in and go when ready.

I did not know about priming these bikes. Mine will sit in the garage for a couple days and always just pops right off. I guess I'll have to try it see if it can start even better.

Kicking and using the start button at the same time is the preferred method for the fast starts. It's what the GNCC pros do. Kicking is faster that electric start but not always a sure thing on four strokes. That's why doing both at the same time is the best of both worlds, fast and dependable.  

I now have a season racing harescrambles and gp's, both dead engine starts. When my fx was new it would start in gear every time, now it's hit or miss, I did put in a lithium battery mid season to cut the weight but I think it's the culprit of the inconsistent starting. The lithium supposedly spins it faster but the lead acid seams to have more torque? Anyway I had no luck with kicking/button, I've settled on neutral start and bang it into gear. No matter how fast is starts the two strokes are halfway down the start straight already, I gave in and bought a 250x.

I now have a season racing harescrambles and gp's, both dead engine starts. When my fx was new it would start in gear every time, now it's hit or miss, I did put in a lithium battery mid season to cut the weight but I think it's the culprit of the inconsistent starting. The lithium supposedly spins it faster but the lead acid seams to have more torque? Anyway I had no luck with kicking/button, I've settled on neutral start and bang it into gear. No matter how fast is starts the two strokes are halfway down the start straight already, I gave in and bought a 250x.

My guess is, you have an intake valve out of spec. Erratic starting is first sign of incorrect valve clearances.

Move button to left side...

Move button to left side...

Already done lol

Already done lol

A smaller, lighter battery with more CCA amps will help, as well as removing the clutch safety switch. I wouldn't kick, but I haven't had a reason too as I holeshot dead engine starts with ease...

My guess is, you have an intake valve out of spec. Erratic starting is first sign of incorrect valve clearances.

Possible I suppose but doubtful at 30 hrs, it starts immediately in neutral. I've never had great luck with lithium batteries, very temp sensitive.