FMF Q + JD Jetting = Whoa Big Horse!

During the week I installed the JD Jetting Kit and an FMF Q pipe onto my 03 WR450. I finally got a chance to test it this morning. All I can say is that Dave Dialogue is right: Holy Crap! The combination of these two is like riding a totally different bike. The midrange is so snappy and responsive now that it's amazing. The bike will pick up the front end easily now. :D

Prior to this the bike ran fine, made good torque and was well mannered but the throttle response was a bit mushy. Now, it's still well mannered (predictable), but much more responsive. I'm very pleased with both products and the installations were pretty easy. well... as easy as anything can be when working on the rather cramped engine spaces on this bike - they crammed a whole lotta motor into a small space.

I would definitely recommend both products to anyone wanting to up the performance of their WR450. ? The Q is definitely louder than the stock pipe with the GYT-R insert, but it isn't obnoxious. I actually like the exhaust note of the Q better. The Q is definitely lighter than the stock pipe also - I would guess about 3lbs. less.

Although my bike isn't a WR450, I bought the Q on Dave's

recommendation and I also installed the JD kit for the DRZ.

WOW! is right!

The bike was impressive after the 440 upgrade, but the bottom and

mid range came to life after the install of the Q and JD kit.

I highly recommend both products! ?

Dan Dialogue (Dave's twin brother)

Is that the quiet pipe? I put an FMF Q Series (quieting)pipe on my '02 426 and it sucked a lot of power out of the mid range although I didn't change the jetting. What should I have done?

You will gain more power from proper jetting than any aftermarket exhaust, power now etc..Also reducing the amount from your accelerator pump. The AP creates more of a problem then it solves..IMHO ?

What should I have done?

Re-jetted your bike at the same time you changed the pipe ?

You will gain more power from proper jetting than any aftermarket exhaust, power now etc..Also reducing the amount from your accelerator pump. The AP creates more of a problem then it solves..IMHO :D

True, but proper jetting with a new pipe is awesome!

Definitely adjust the AP. Mine was over 2-seconds!

Yes, it's the quiet pipe. In your case, since you are on a YZ, I wouldn't be surprised if the Q dropped some power if you had a higher flow pipe before the Q. However, a new pipe usually requires re-jetting to get the most performance anyway. In my case, the WR is pretty corked up even with the GYT-R insert, so an aftermarket exhaust can make quite a difference.

The top-end is about the same as far as I can tell. It's bottom-mid that is really snappy now. The WR450 engine is really torquey in the mid-range and that's right where I like to ride this motor. ?