HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

ayz250

Front brake won't build pressure after crash

6 posts in this topic

I slid out in a corner and the front brake lever must have caught the ground. Now the front brake won't work or build any pressure. My question is did it get air in it and needs to be bled or did I ruin the master cylinder? Any advice would be great thanks.

The bike is a 2012 yz450.

Usually it's the master cylinder.

The rubber seal on the piston gets "peeled backwards" and it won't hold pressure.

Check your front brake rotor to see if it's bent. If the caliper piston got pushed in it can feel like it's not building pressure.

1 person likes this

I figured out what happened. I must have hit the bolt holding the line coming into the master cylinder. It was just loose enough to not hold pressure. Tightened it up now I just gotta get the air out of the line.

1 person likes this

I figured out what happened. I must have hit the bolt holding the line coming into the master cylinder. It was just loose enough to not hold pressure. Tightened it up now I just gotta get the air out of the line.

I recently had a similar experience, tipped over in some rocks and when I picked my bike back up realized the front brake lever went straight to the bars.  The banjo fitting at the caliper had been knocked loose, I got lucky and was able to just tighten the bolt back down and the brakes worked fine.