Must use choke to start 2002 WR426 cold or hot

I have a 2002 Wr426 that has always started 1st or 2nd kick hot or cold. The bike is street legal and I have jetted it to run great for many years this way. Recently, It started to need the choke to start when warm or hot (will start first kick with choke). It runs perfectly when started. I have checked the valves and they are in spec. New spark plug. Checked carb and jets are clear. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

thanks,

JC

Worn internal carb parts, worn rings, valve seals, seats, etc etc.

The only way to know for sure is to pull the motor apart and start measuring things too see what is worn out.

You make no mention of adjusting the fuel screw, so you should try that first, obviously...

Krannie - thanks for the reply. I have adjusted the fuel screw, no change. Engine has good compression and has never burned any oil. Oil has been changed every 500 to 600 miles. always clean air cleaner. The engine has had an easy life. Short shifted and not reved high. Idle is set correctly too.

Before going deeper, make sure carb to intake rubber has clamps snug. Then mix in some seafoam to the fuel more than directions say,,,, then run it hard to get the fuel moving.

You really need to replace the worn internal carb parts before assuming anything else

Slide plate seal

Fuel screw oring

emulsion tube

Thanks for all your help.