99 yz400f won't start

Afaik, You will never get it started without the fuel screw.

What you need is:

1) beer, plenty

2) a buddy to help ya out, that knows carbs

3) a parts breakdown for your carb, so you can order parts

#2 is optional, since you have TT! 

tear down the carb, identify everything that is missing/needs replacement, & then rebuild your carb

I'm scared the PO may have scammed you into buying/trading for a bike that needs more than just carb work....be prepared to do top end work at bare minimum

Keep us posted!

At the very least you need the fuel screw, spring, washer and o-ring. Off the top of my head I think the adjustment is about 2-1/2 turns out, but get a manual. You can download one for free here: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/services/owner-manuals/index.aspx

You might as well pull the carb and clean the jets while you are at it. Keep in mind to avoid actual carb cleaner on any rubber parts. I generally only use brake cleaner and compressed air. You should be able to see day light through the jets. If the pilot jet is really plugged use a small sewing needle and brake cleaner until you get it cleared out, but be careful you don't hog out the hole; or just replace the jet.

I would also put a new spark plug in it, for whatever reason once they flood it's way easier to change the plug than to kick it long enough to dry the plug out, assuming it's any good in the first place.

The carbs on these are not really too bad to work on, but take your time, have a clean area to work and take lots and lots of pictures as you disassemble. I would guess there are plenty of Youtube "how-to" videos for cleaning this particular style of carburetor.

Also, while you have it torn apart it would be a good idea to check the valve clearances, if they are too tight it makes it very hard to start.

Don't stress too much, these are very solid engines. Once you get it dialed in and learn the magic joo joo starting sequence you should be happy.

I bought a non-running '98 yz400f earlier this year. Once I got the carb off it was filthy. Decided to spend the money on one of those HF ultrasonic cleaner (~$50 with coupon). Dissembled the carb and ran a few cycles in 50/50 water/simply green with the heat on. Blew all the passages and jets with compressed air and reassemble. Started 1st kick

IMG_0358.JPGIMG_0458.JPGIMG_0459.JPGIMG_0460.JPGIMG_0461.JPGIMG_0464.JPGIMG_0467.JPGIMG_0469.JPGIMG_0470.JPGIMG_0471.JPGIMG_0472.JPG