Gearing for trails.

I was curious about what a good sprocket set up would be for fast pace trail riding. I have a 13 in the front and 52 in the back from what the previous owner had on it. After wear and tear I'm replacing them and was curious to see what you guys might prefer.

Does it feel too torquey without enough top-end, or does it lug at lower speed?

I run 14/48, but that's what I'm comfortable with, on my bike, with the riding I do. 

Front sprockets are cheaper than rears, and give you about a 3:1 change.  Rear sprocket is for fine-tuning.

Try to keep a bigger sprocket on the front, since that'll increase the bend radius of the chain and help it last a little longer. 

Once you figure out a ratio you like, go with the biggest front you can put on there and keep the ratio.

Lot of things enter into the equation, terrain, your skill/speed level, type/size of bike, etc.. If you're riding a lot of tight woods and big hills, a couple extra teeth on the rear could be good. If you're in a more open area, go to stock gearing and go from there. 

Does it feel too torquey without enough top-end, or does it lug at lower speed?

I run 14/48, but that's what I'm comfortable with, on my bike, with the riding I do.

Front sprockets are cheaper than rears, and give you about a 3:1 change. Rear sprocket is for fine-tuning.

Try to keep a bigger sprocket on the front, since that'll increase the bend radius of the chain and help it last a little longer.

Once you figure out a ratio you like, go with the biggest front you can put on there and keep the ratio.

try a cheap 15-51 . It helped my bike not stand up so bad on corner exits.

It's all about 1st gear.

If you use it, gear down or up to make it usefull.

If you only ride faster trails, change the gearing down to decrease the gaps, or raise the gearing to increase the 'distance' in each gear.

It's all about 1st gear.

If you use it, gear down or up to make it usefull.

If you only ride faster trails, change the gearing down to decrease the gaps, or raise the gearing to increase the 'distance' in each gear.

many gear the bike for a more usable 2nd and 3rd. 1st then becomes a Granny or emergency gear.

Some bike's have goofy gaps between gears. Going up or down can help it.

For me it's all about second, my hillclimbing gear. Has to be low enough but not too low.

I like 13/50 on a 250 2 stroke 5 speed... I rarely use first with that gearing unless I mess up. I also hate shifting 1st/2nd because if I puss foot I'll end up in neutral in a bad spot where I don't need to lose momentum... So my opinion would be to gear it down so you can stay in the higher gears.

Previously I had the bike geared up with a 14 tooth sprocket and my bike would overheat more and pop neutral in the technical stuff shifting 2nd all the time. I've also found that the bigger front sprockets wear really fast for me

2nd/3rd shifting is where it's at on the tight stuff for my style of riding.

Edited by Casing-daily

12/47 on a 07 450. Good low end/ not so good on top. Max speed is about 65