2007 WR450F frame damage from chain rub?

Hello,
I've been looking at a really nice 2007 WR450F that's been used as a SM for the last year or so. It's really nice, well set up and clean with seemingly very low miles but I noticed that the main fame spar on the left side has been eaten into by the chain. I would say that there is about 1, maybe 2mm of material missing from the frame spar.
The current owner had not noticed it and was genuinely surprised when i pointed it out.

Is this too much damage? From all I hear further damage can be avoided by buying a aftermarket chain guide for the front or by wrapping the frame spar in that area with tough material (like nomex or something).

I would buy the bike but I'm worried about a potentially weakened frame. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry I did not take a picture of it.

TIA, - picard

Typical

The subframe probably has similar damage.

Even if it's cut all the way through to the inside, it's going to be fine unless you get air on a regular basis.

Many cover this area with a block of Teflon or similar.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The subframe was actually ok, just a few scuffs. It's not close to be rubbed through, so that's good to hear that it's probably OK.

Any opinions to the contrary?

Edited by picard

Thanks for the quick reply!

The subframe was actually ok, just a few scuffs. It's not close to be rubbed through, so that's good to hear that it's probably OK.

Any opinions to the contrary?

I would have a plate welded over the hole for

2 reasons. Future protection and the old saying, a stitch in time saves nine.

I would have a plate welded over the hole for

2 reasons. Future protection and the old saying, a stitch in time saves nine.

You are suggesting crocheting the repair then ??

Nope, if your like me think about how you ride your bike on the street .........wide open an fast, just what it's not made for. Wr is a amazing bike but not made to ride 55+ on the highway for 2000+ miles. Forget the low miles if it was only on the street .......pass

Nope, if your like me think about how you ride your bike on the street .........wide open an fast, just what it's not made for. Wr is a amazing bike but not made to ride 55+ on the highway for 2000+ miles. Forget the low miles if it was only on the street .......pass

Not everybody rides like a lunatic...

all the time.