oil flowing out neck at 1 1/2 quarts?

I just changed my oil and filter, when I added the oil I stopped at the 8 oz mark on the first quart, and about half way thru the second quart I observed oil pour out of the neck from the bottom of the funnel.

I checked the oil and observed it was right at the neck opening. has anybody experienced this?

I am in the process of draining the oil now. and will add more oil. any suggestions or reason why this happened. I only had 2 quarts of 20/50 so I know I didn't use 3. I am going to use 10/40 because that is all I have left and is what I use on the other bikes.

thanks, maybe I not getting what your telling me, but I didn't go over the 1 1/2 quarts before it over filled, now that it did over fill do you think there will be a problem with my seal, I did not start the bike but I did pump the crank with my had a couple of times hoping it would allow the oil go down then I drained it pretty fast 5 min. or so.

I have changed the oil before and haven't had this problem. what do you think qadsan?

I just finished draining the oil and added more. this time I stopped at 1.5 quarts, and the oil was at the top of the dip stick. is there a problem with my bike. The manual states to put 1.7 quarts when changing the oil and filter, and 1.65 without the filter.

Now after rearing question 26 on the site qadsan provided I am apprehensive aobut starting the bike, I don't want my seal to leak.

isn't this just great. I told the boys I would take them out riding tomorrow after school at Hollister Hills.

Yep...its normal. Happens all the time. The trick is...after the first quart of oil is added, kick the motor over a few times, nice and slow (And be sure to keep the kill switch depressed, for obvious reasons). This removes the bubble of air that has formed that caused the oil to overflow prematurely.

I just changed my oil and filter, when I added the oil I stopped at the 8 oz mark on the first quart, and about half way thru the second quart I observed oil pour out of the neck from the bottom of the funnel.

?:D :lol:i did the same thing the first time also....

now i put a quart in and start bike for 30 or 40 seconds then put the rest in :D

jeff

Like the others said, you'll be fine.

What I do when changing my oil is measure the amount of oil coming out and I put back in the exact same amount. I went to a chem supply shop and bought two nice graduated beakers with handles that were made of polypropylene and my oil drains into one of them so I know exactly the amount being drained out. Then I fill the other one with new oil to the exact same amount and pour about 80% of it into the bike. Then I kick the bike over a half dozen times with the decomp lever pulled in and pour the rest of the oil in. The Billy Who ManFunnel makes this whole process even simpler. I don't even use a drain pan anymore (just the ManFunnel & my beakers) ?

http://www.billywho.com/xr650rmf.html

I do a half dozen different bikes at a time and the graduated beakers make it easy because I don't have to remember oil capacities on each and every bike. After the oil change, I start them up, get them warm and verify the oil level to to double check things, but I've always been on the same mark after an oil change.

If you go to a chem supply shop, also pick up a plastic 60cc syringe and some tubing as it may come in handy later on. I've used it to lower the oil level on my friends bikes after they overfilled their bike, used it to change fork oil levels, used it for bleeding a disc brakes, etc. It's another handy tool to have that only costs a few bucks.

thank you, I took them riding today, all went well except when my youngest of the 2 went right when we went left and I lost him for about 20 minutes. I really got to see what My bike could do, as I was in a panic looking for him.

I also found out I could climb some pretty cool stuff, as I tried to take a few short cuts, in hopes of cutting him off on a different trail.