Regulater Rectifier help

I have a 2002 WR426 and I am making my own dual sport kit for it, I bought a WR450 voltage regulater rectifier to replace my regulater so I could get 12 volts DC to charge the battery. ( the WR426 lights runs on ac, so without a starter there is no need for a battery thus no need for DC )

My question is which two color wires on the regulater/rectifier regulate and which rectifie :). It should state this in the WR450 manual. thanks in advance

There should be two yellow wires for your WR's AC power source, then your red(+) and black(-) will be your DC output wires. The regulator/rectifier simultaneously regulates voltage output and rectifies AC to DC.

After removing the flywheel with a puller, you will need to cut your lighting coil's ground and run a wire out to connect to your rectifier/regulator. I could scan and email my Baja Designs "Stator Modification" instructions with pics if you PM your email address...

There should be two yellow wires for your WR's AC power source, then your red(+) and black(-) will be your DC output wires. The regulator/rectifier simultaneously regulates voltage output and rectifies AC to DC.

After removing the flywheel with a puller, you will need to cut your lighting coil's ground and run a wire out to connect to your rectifier/regulator. I could scan and email my Baja Designs "Stator Modification" instructions with pics if you PM your email address...

I don't believe that will work with the stock WR450 rect/regulator. It is setup a little different than the aftermarket ones and the stator on a 450 is wound different than a 426/400. In the 450 schematic it shows two output leads in addition to the ground coming from the stator and going into the regulator. One is white and one is yellow (the ground is black). The yellow lead provides AC to the lights and the white lead provides power to the CDI. Both leads feed into the rect/reg as well. The DC output is a red lead. I'm not sure how you would wire the stock reg/rect into a 426 or if it is even possible because of the stator difference. BTW Baja Designs no longer modifies the stator ground in their kits. What they do now is mount the regulator in the air box (plastic so it's not grounded to the frame) and run an isolated ground wire for all the DC circuits. I built my homebrew DS kit this way and it works fine. If you can't make the stock reg work you can get a 150 watt aftermarket one from Trailtech (www.trailtech.net) for $29.95.

Does the WR450 regulator/rectifier not have 2 yellow wires(or 1 white+1 yellow), one red and one black wire? For the AC powered 426, you have to cut it's lighting coil's ground and run a wire from it to feed the R/R which does install in the airbox.

No the WR stock regulator does not have two yellow wires - one white, one yellow, a black lead that goes to frame ground, and a red lead the goes to the battery. The interesting thing is that the yellow feeds the lights and the white feeds the CDI unit but both use the frame as the AC ground return. The new BD kits do not require the stator to be modified. They connect one yellow wire to the yellow wire coming from the stator and the other yellow wire goes to frame ground. The black DC ground wire is tied to the battery - terminal and all of the DC load negative connections but not to frame ground. The red wire goes to the battery + and all the DC load (headlight, turn signals, etc) positive connections. Just another way to do it but a little simpler because you don't have to pull the flywheel and rewire the stator. Either way will work.

Yeah, that does makes sense...I also wondered why BD didn't simply have me connect the R/R's secondary AC source to ground. So, Darmino can use the WR450's R/R on his 426 by connecting his yellow wire to the R/R's yellow, and grounding the R/R's white wire to frame...

The WR 450 reg is both an AC reg (for the lighting) and a DC rect/reg for battery charging. I think the aftermarket ones are DC rect/reg only. The stock reg might work but I'm not to sure. The odd thing in the 450 schematic is that both the white and the yellow wires supply AC voltage to different circuits (one for lighting and one for the CDI) and both circuits return via the frame ground. Checking the manual further I found that there are two stator coils. The white lead is the charging coil and the yellow lead is the AC coil for the lights. Both coils appear to be connected to frame ground as the manual gives a procedure for checking the resistance of each one referenced to frame ground. I think the yellow lead on the regulator is the AC regulator and the white lead is the DC rectifier/regulator. You may be able to use it on a 426 by connecting the white lead to the stator but I don't think you want to connect either the white lead or the yellow lead to ground. I would try hooking the white lead to the stator, black lead to frame ground, the red lead to the battery and just tape off the yellow lead. I don't think this will cause any damage but I'm not sure this reg is going to work on a 426. I would consider putting a 10 amp fuse inline between the stator and the reg white wire just to protect against frying the stator coil.

Ok maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do.I want is to have my headlight and led tail light operate on AC voltage(to get the brightest possable light) and digital flasher and led turn signals to operate on DC voltage. I wont be using a battery just a capacitor ( I dont want the added weight of a battery ) Heres what I have found out so far, using a small 24 volt AC transformer I applied voltage to the white and yellow wires of the 450 R/R and got 7.8 volts DC from the black and red wire and 12 volts AC from the yellow and black wires, which follows along with the WR450 wiring diagram. Now heres what I'm thinking, I should connect the yellow wire to where my yellow wire is connected on the stator lighting coil then run the white wire to the other side of the the stator where my black is connected and lift it from ground that way it completely isolates the lighting system from the rest of the bike. On the WR426 the R/R doesn't power the CDI like the 450 but does tie to the black wire for ground, I think? any help or other ideas would be appreciated.

You actually don't need to use a WR450 regulator to accomplish what your after. Initially I had my 426 set up with everything working off the stock AC regulator (Headlight, Taillight, Brakelight and Turn signals). The only thing that wouldn't work on AC was the horn. I used a standard turn signal flasher and incandescent lamps. The standard turn signal flasher might not work with LED's because I suspect the load is too small but I haven't tried it. I don't think you're going to be able to regulate both the AC and the DC on the 426 like you can on a 450 because you don't have two seperate stators. You could put a bridge rectifier and a capacitor in the circuit to power the turn signals. BTW - I ending up putting a DC rect/regulator/battery on the bike and running everything on DC. I did this because the stator output is pretty low at idle making the brake light very dim (since the engine is at idle quite often when you're using the brakes). I didn't like the idea of grandma running me over because she couldn't see my brakelight. The whole setup only adds a few pounds to the bike. As a bonus I also use the battery to power my GPS. :)