many places to ride in western North Carolina?

Thinking of moving to western North Carolina (Hickory area or Winston-salem area).

Just wanted to see if there are many places to trail ride in western NC---looking for 1-2 hrs. away(day trip).

I have to be able to move to a place I can still ride.

Now I currently have 2 places to ride that are about 25-30 miles of trails---anything similiar to that?

It also looks like an occasional trip to Georgia or Tennessee would be cool. From the maps there are some large National forests in those states. Anyone have any info on those (chattahoochee and Nantahala)?

Brown Mountain just north of Morganton, not very far from Hickory. Wayehutta is just southwest of Waynesville (right behind Western Carolina University) is a bit further. I've heard of a private area called Brushy Mountain that I think is in the Charlotte area. Don't know about MX tracks but from reading the posts here there must be a few.

?

• 2 years later...

Caney Fork area of Jackson County is great forest service land but you must be street legal [ hwy107 south] about 5 miles from W.C.U on left go to end of road where four wheel drive road starts. A few weeks ago I Punched my odometer at the end of the road and when i returned to pavement at wayehutta atv area i logged 60 miles. talk about tired I was sore for a few days but it was worth it!!

Thinking of moving to western North Carolina (Hickory area or Winston-salem area).

Just wanted to see if there are many places to trail ride in western NC---looking for 1-2 hrs. away(day trip).

I have to be able to move to a place I can still ride.

Now I currently have 2 places to ride that are about 25-30 miles of trails---anything similiar to that?

It also looks like an occasional trip to Georgia or Tennessee would be cool. From the maps there are some large National forests in those states. Anyone have any info on those (chattahoochee and Nantahala)?

Hi new2blu,

This is a pic from one of the MX tracks at TNT Motorsports in Chester, SC which is less than a hour from Charlotte south on I-77. They have 4 tracks and 4 different trails to ride.

Jay1.jpg

That's me...not bad for a 40-something on my first day of riding for many years and a new bike to boot. It was cold today but I never noticed it. I was sweating like a pig!:applause:

I'm gonna be sore tomorrow!:applause:

-Jay

Hi new2blu,

This is a pic from one of the MX tracks at TNT Motorsports in Chester, SC which is less than a hour from Charlotte south on I-77. They have 4 tracks and 4 different trails to ride.

Jay1.jpg

That's me...not bad for a 40-something on my first day of riding for many years and a new bike to boot. It was cold today but I never noticed it. I was sweating like a pig!:applause:

I'm gonna be sore tomorrow!:applause:

-Jay

Hey Jay,

what did you think of the place?

Looked pretty good to me. Was that the lower tt track?

Hey Jay,

what did you think of the place?

Looked pretty good to me. Was that the lower tt track?

Hi trailhaulin,

Yes...the lower track. It was a good track for me to ride. I also rode the upper track and the SX track.

We also rode all the trails that were open. The Mimms trail was closed today.

We got there just as they opened for the day. It was not very congested at all. Even late in the afternoon when we finally grunted the bikes back into the truck it still wasn't terribly busy.

I liked it. It was the perfect venue for my first riding efforts.

-Jay

Hi trailhaulin,

Yes...the lower track. It was a good track for me to ride. I also rode the upper track and the SX track.

We also rode all the trails that were open. The Mimms trail was closed today.

We got there just as they opened for the day. It was not very congested at all. Even late in the afternoon when we finally grunted the bikes back into the truck it still wasn't terribly busy.

I liked it. It was the perfect venue for my first riding efforts.

-Jay

I'm glad you had a good time man.

The MIMMS trail is a single track that can get tricky when there has been rain. They call it the trail of tears!

Lets get together soon.

Steve

I'm glad you had a good time man.

The MIMMS trail is a single track that can get tricky when there has been rain. They call it the trail of tears!

Lets get together soon.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks...I did have a great time.

The Kasel Trail is a pretty good loop. It gets pretty interesting at the stream crossings when you have to blast up the hills on the other side. They were really sloppy, rutted, steep and curvy...very fun indeed.

I will definitely go back. It's easy to get to...when the weather warms it will likely be much busier and I think it could get pretty dusty in the parking areas if they don't keep the water truck busy.

It will probably be the 10th or 11th before I'll have an opportunity to go riding again. I have a 23rd wedding anniversary and daughter's birthday to contend with in the next 2 weeks.

Oh yeah...Costco has a great deal on the super-sized jugs of Ibuprofen!:applause: Sweet.

-Jay

Guilty as charged!:applause:

Garrett, I sent you a PM about Sunday's ride. Did you receive it?

-Jay

Yeah, I got it... this morning!? I don't have a puter at home.?

no prob, I came close to going to Brushy. rode at home and didn't really have a good time. Broke my right shroud and bent the mounting tab on the rad, and my tires weren't workin worth a hoot either.

At least it is going to warm up this week, tired of looking at a dirty bike.:applause:

Yeah, I got it... this morning!? I don't have a puter at home.?

no prob, I came close to going to Brushy. rode at home and didn't really have a good time. Broke my right shroud and bent the mounting tab on the rad, and my tires weren't workin worth a hoot either.

At least it is going to warm up this week, tired of looking at a dirty bike.:applause:

Oh man! I'm a schmoe! I should have called.:applause:

I would ride this weekend but I have wifey commitments and besides...my shoulders and arms are killing me!:eek: It feels like I did bench presses all day! Oh...and stairs are fun too!

Let's face it man...I'm a spud!?

The warmer weather is a welcome repreive however. I'll be washing the crud away as well.

-Jay

Oh man! I'm a schmoe! I should have called.:applause:

I would ride this weekend but I have wifey commitments and besides...my shoulders and arms are killing me!? It feels like I did bench presses all day! Oh...and stairs are fun too!

Let's face it man...I'm a spud!?

The warmer weather is a welcome repreive however. I'll be washing the crud away as well.

-Jay

it ain't no problemo. time changes in a few weeks, so get to ridin and get ready for HS season.:applause: