SHOULD I BUY A ZERO MOTORCYCLE?!

Here's the deal.

I have wanted one of these bikes for a long time. So here's my pros/cons defense and rant about it. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts one way or the other.

Pro: I have 2 motorcycles already:

A 07 GSXR600 and  a 97 xr400 supermoto. I love the combo, it is like a pretty decent chunk of anything that you would want to do on a motorcycle. I think having these two bikes is a pretty important part of the decision because I believe that a Zero couldn't be your only bike. It just wouldn't be enough fun for the cost in my opinion.

This also brings up the other factor that because I have two bikes, I work and tinker on both of them constantly....if I had a Zero, it would just be purely turning on the key and going....(hopefully)

Pro: I live in California:

This brings up 2 points.

1. it never rains. I ride every single day.
  2. I have available twisty canyon roads in range of a Zero's capability.
  3. It is extremely nice weather here pretty much year round. (almost never rains) That means that I can ride pretty much every day
  4. I can truck the Zero to some of the coolest roads and race tracks in the United States that are only hours away for track days.
  5. I could get a sweet tax discount on the bike in California but sadly the $900 refund I could get is waitlisted because the budget hasn't been approved: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/faqs/what-does-rebate-waitlist-mean-me)
  6. I can get kw/h discounts through the power company for having an electric vehicle (that could help even my roommates out!) https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/rate-plans/rate-plan-options/electric-vehicle-base-plan/electric-vehicle-base-plan.page

Pro/Con: I ride the canyons every weekend:

I love the two bikes I have now, and they work great for the most part. But they are cheaper and I have never had a new bike or newer bike. So would I want my gsxr, my xr and a Zero all plated and insured at the same time? I just paid the registration on the xr so should I wait until one of my registrations run out?Maybe keep the gsxr and suspend the xr's registration? (XR=$80 a year)

Pro: The town I live in is on the smaller side:

I could run all my errands with a Zero's range in town.

Pro: My work commute is 1.9 miles:

This brings up 2 points.

1. I recently had my daily commuter (my GSX-R) break down with a bad stator. It severely bummed me out to not even get to ride to work, and the xr400 is having some engine work done in my garage so I was out of bikes. This was a huge bummer to me and forced me to drive my truck. It's slow and I am basically having a mini war with myself on putting miles on it. (It's and 09 with 23k on it)
  2. Because I live so close, I ride home for lunch. That brings my average total miles a day for commuting to about 8-10 miles a day with 4 heat cycles. That means that I am beating the crap out of my I.C.E. powered bikes riding them to work and not fully warming them up. Generally, the cool air in the morning only lets my GSX-R warm up to about 150 F., even if I ride it for 20 mins in the morning. That means that I am changing the oil often because I am short-heat cycling the oil all the time...

Pro/Pro: I am moving into a new place in 2 months(its cheaper rent and even closer to work):

• Starting up a zero motorcycle, riding it for 1.4 miles and shutting it off just seems to sound great to me, instead of running my gsxr for less than 5-10 mins, 4 times a day.....
  • My new place has a bigger garage!

Con: I have student loans and credit card debt:

Really, the only thing that is holding be back is COST. By moving into this cheaper place, I think I can swing the payment and my debt repayments if I can put like $3-5,000 down to get the payment around $150-$200 a month.

Other Factors:

The Zero(s) I want: (Both are $10,980, about $9,890 after the incentive)

• As far as my xr400 goes, it is an awesome bike to bomb around town, but I'm only 5' 6" and that bike is still kinda tall. So I am contemplating the FXS (http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/). I could even get away with the ZF3.3 model that has far less range to get to work... (3.3 gets 45 "city" miles)(32.9 in seat height)(3.3 is a 251lb bike)
  • The Zero FSX is more durable being an enduro, just in case I were to low side in the street. Because there are no fluids, as long as the levers didn't break, I'm sure I would be fine.
  • The other model I was looking at was the base ZF9.8 "S" model. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php It comes out to be the same cost as the 6.5 FXS, just heavier and better range. (121 city miles)(376lb bike)

What I could buy instead:

• Prolly my number one bike that I would want instead is the FZ-09 from Yamaha. The triple engine is the coolest! Brings me right back to my original point, about heat cycling a really nice bike riding it for 5-20 mins at a time and not fully warming it up on my super short commute to work.

How much is insurance?:

Dont know. I am still going back and forth with them on an official quote.... (State Farm)

What tires do available for Zeros run?: (Kind of expensive but I'm sure there are others out there)

• Zero FXS: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II (110/70-17 & 140/70-17) ($105 & $122=$227 a set)
  • Zero S: Pirelli Sport Demon (110/70-17 & 140/70-17) ($117 & $143=$260 a set)

So what do you guys think? Should I just dive in an get an FXS or S? 

Should I buy used?

Or just keep running and fixing cheap craigslist bikes forever?

I'd say yes, for your situation you should consider buying (or at least trying out) a Zero if possible. I have two '14 Zero FX's, one for street and one set up for dirt only - I love them both. Like many electric owners I also have several ICE bikes, all now gathering dust. ?

If you can, I'd test-ride an FX, FXS, and SR (which handles a lot like an S).  Definitely take them all around slow off-camber corners to check out the steering behavior. I've ridden all these bikes, and FWIW, I prefer the FX steering by a large margin.

Does CA have any EV loan incentives?  Seems like they would, since they've already committed to outright refunds.

Ray

• Like 1

I'd say yes, for your situation you should consider buying (or at least trying out) a Zero if possible. I have two '14 Zero FX's, one for street and one set up for dirt only - I love them both. Like many electric owners I also have several ICE bikes, all now gathering dust. ?

If you can, I'd test-ride an FX, FXS, and SR (which handles a lot like an S).  Definitely take them all around slow off-camber corners to check out the steering behavior. I've ridden all these bikes, and FWIW, I prefer the FX steering by a large margin.

Does CA have any EV loan incentives?  Seems like they would, since they've already committed to outright refunds.

Ray

That's what I like to hear!

But I really like your point about the steering. That is really interesting!

Have you ridden an FXS yet? If you like the steering of the FX, I would assume that the FXS with street tires would be that much better...

I have not heard about any EV loan incentives, but it makes sense that someone might have them. I'll definitely check that out!!

Yes, I rode an FXS back in June.  I thought the Showa suspension and brakes were quite good, but the steering was just not my cup of tea.  If "better" = extremely quick with strong oversteer, then the FXS steering is definitely "better" than the FX. ?  The reason I mention the steering is that if after owning the bike a while it seems just too touchy, it's difficult to slow it down much without a fair amount of work (or a steering damper).  A test ride will give you a better idea; you may love the way the FXS steers.

Ray

Yes, I rode an FXS back in June. I thought the Showa suspension and brakes were quite good, but the steering was just not my cup of tea. If "better" = extremely quick with strong oversteer, then the FXS steering is definitely "better" than the FX. ? The reason I mention the steering is that if after owning the bike a while it seems just too touchy, it's difficult to slow it down much without a fair amount of work (or a steering damper). A test ride will give you a better idea; you may love the way the FXS steers.

Ray

Very true! I need a test ride(s)!

This just popped up and I feel like I need to test ride all the ones I am contemplating in case I need to pull the trigger quickly on a used one!

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/5771270704.html

With Zero prices lower than ever and the numerous upgrades for street usage from '14 to '16, I'd strongly suggest buying new (ideally after the '17's come out, when '16 prices can drop quite a bit). Right now, a new S model is about the same as that '14 SR demo (no way it got 783 miles as a display-only bike) without any incentives.

Ray

don't take on debt to buy another toy

I agree and that is the only con, yet I'm already in debt and will be forever anyway. so I would rather enjoy my living hell....

I'm so glad I went into debt (briefly) in 2014 to buy my 2nd "toy", which has since become my main rider.

Ray

hahaha touche......

Ray, would you recommend getting extra power packs with the initial purchase? would they let you buy an FXS with 4 packs?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=229&zenid=mlutel4qmg6d62ctqose12c856

Edited by diesel matt

Why not sell both and update the stable a bit with some extra cash...Lots of possibilities there

True, but like I said, I don't think a Zero could be my only bike.

1. Because of the range
  2. because of the capabilities of my other bikes

My gsxr is perfect for track days, which I am starting next month and for the local canyons.

My xr400 supermoto is actually fairly new to me, I am just now finishing engine work to ensure it stops burning oil. It is super fun to ride, and less intimidating than the gsxr....

I don't care about putting miles on either one, but like I said I am worried about beating them up unnecessarily because of my short commute and local errands. I would like to have a fun bike that I can put a ton of miles on, ride it to work and back 4 times a day for 5 mins each and not have to worry about preventative engine maintenance on it.

I love to tinker, and that's just what I do with my other bikes. Because they are regular, internal combustion engines, they need almost constant attention. With a Zero, I would just like to enjoy the ride....

I have 4 years, 4 months left on my truck, and I don't want to wait that long to get a Zero! but my money situation kinda dictates that I do. I'm so torn.

Edited by diesel matt
  • Like 1

Ray, would you recommend getting extra power packs with the initial purchase? would they let you buy an FXS with 4 packs?

Yes, Zero will sell you as many packs as you want, but It's pretty expensive - and since battery technology is continuously evolving, it may not be the best idea if you don't really need the extra capacity right now.  I only run one battery in my bikes and have a spare, but I've never used it to extend my riding time as I only ride locally these days.  If / when they come out with a 4.0 pack I may upgrade to that and have the controller reprogrammed for a bit more power, but I don't know for sure.

Ray

Yes, Zero will sell you as many packs as you want, but It's pretty expensive - and since battery technology is continuously evolving, it may not be the best idea if you don't really need the extra capacity right now. I only run one battery in my bikes and have a spare, but I've never used it to extend my riding time as I only ride locally these days. If / when they come out with a 4.0 pack I may upgrade to that and have the controller reprogrammed for a bit more power, but I don't know for sure.

Ray

Great point!

I could get the 3.3 model for my needs for commuting, but wait for higher output packs for racing if they come out with better ones in a year. I am def thinking I want a quick charger no matter what I do...

Extending my research further, I am debating a regular "s" model too, just based on commuting, but then I couldn't track it like an FXS.....

Ugg I need to go down to LA and test ride some.....ALL OF THEM!!

BUT the more research I am reading about the EV incentives, they are wait listed so I might not even be able to get any money that way! Bummer!!

Here's the deal.

I have wanted one of these bikes for a long time. So here's my pros/cons defense and rant about it. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts one way or the other.

Pro: I have 2 motorcycles already:

A 07 GSXR600 and  a 97 xr400 supermoto. I love the combo, it is like a pretty decent chunk of anything that you would want to do on a motorcycle. I think having these two bikes is a pretty important part of the decision because I believe that a Zero couldn't be your only bike. It just wouldn't be enough fun for the cost in my opinion.

This also brings up the other factor that because I have two bikes, I work and tinker on both of them constantly....if I had a Zero, it would just be purely turning on the key and going....(hopefully)

Pro: I live in California:

This brings up 2 points.

1. it never rains. I ride every single day.
  2. I have available twisty canyon roads in range of a Zero's capability.
  3. It is extremely nice weather here pretty much year round. (almost never rains) That means that I can ride pretty much every day
  4. I can truck the Zero to some of the coolest roads and race tracks in the United States that are only hours away for track days.
  5. I could get a sweet tax discount on the bike in California but sadly the $900 refund I could get is waitlisted because the budget hasn't been approved: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/faqs/what-does-rebate-waitlist-mean-me)
  6. I can get kw/h discounts through the power company for having an electric vehicle (that could help even my roommates out!) https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/rate-plans/rate-plan-options/electric-vehicle-base-plan/electric-vehicle-base-plan.page

Pro/Con: I ride the canyons every weekend:

I love the two bikes I have now, and they work great for the most part. But they are cheaper and I have never had a new bike or newer bike. So would I want my gsxr, my xr and a Zero all plated and insured at the same time? I just paid the registration on the xr so should I wait until one of my registrations run out?Maybe keep the gsxr and suspend the xr's registration? (XR=$80 a year)

Pro: The town I live in is on the smaller side:

I could run all my errands with a Zero's range in town.

Pro: My work commute is 1.9 miles:

This brings up 2 points.

1. I recently had my daily commuter (my GSX-R) break down with a bad stator. It severely bummed me out to not even get to ride to work, and the xr400 is having some engine work done in my garage so I was out of bikes. This was a huge bummer to me and forced me to drive my truck. It's slow and I am basically having a mini war with myself on putting miles on it. (It's and 09 with 23k on it)
  2. Because I live so close, I ride home for lunch. That brings my average total miles a day for commuting to about 8-10 miles a day with 4 heat cycles. That means that I am beating the crap out of my I.C.E. powered bikes riding them to work and not fully warming them up. Generally, the cool air in the morning only lets my GSX-R warm up to about 150 F., even if I ride it for 20 mins in the morning. That means that I am changing the oil often because I am short-heat cycling the oil all the time...

Pro/Pro: I am moving into a new place in 2 months(its cheaper rent and even closer to work):

• Starting up a zero motorcycle, riding it for 1.4 miles and shutting it off just seems to sound great to me, instead of running my gsxr for less than 5-10 mins, 4 times a day.....
  • My new place has a bigger garage!

Con: I have student loans and credit card debt:

Really, the only thing that is holding be back is COST. By moving into this cheaper place, I think I can swing the payment and my debt repayments if I can put like $3-5,000 down to get the payment around $150-$200 a month.

Other Factors:

The Zero(s) I want: (Both are $10,980, about $9,890 after the incentive)

• As far as my xr400 goes, it is an awesome bike to bomb around town, but I'm only 5' 6" and that bike is still kinda tall. So I am contemplating the FXS (http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/). I could even get away with the ZF3.3 model that has far less range to get to work... (3.3 gets 45 "city" miles)(32.9 in seat height)(3.3 is a 251lb bike)
  • The Zero FSX is more durable being an enduro, just in case I were to low side in the street. Because there are no fluids, as long as the levers didn't break, I'm sure I would be fine.
  • The other model I was looking at was the base ZF9.8 "S" model. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php It comes out to be the same cost as the 6.5 FXS, just heavier and better range. (121 city miles)(376lb bike)

What I could buy instead:

• Prolly my number one bike that I would want instead is the FZ-09 from Yamaha. The triple engine is the coolest! Brings me right back to my original point, about heat cycling a really nice bike riding it for 5-20 mins at a time and not fully warming it up on my super short commute to work.

How much is insurance?:

Dont know. I am still going back and forth with them on an official quote.... (State Farm)

What tires do available for Zeros run?: (Kind of expensive but I'm sure there are others out there)

• Zero FXS: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II (110/70-17 & 140/70-17) ($105 & $122=$227 a set)
  • Zero S: Pirelli Sport Demon (110/70-17 & 140/70-17) ($117 & $143=$260 a set)

So what do you guys think? Should I just dive in an get an FXS or S? 

Should I buy used?

Or just keep running and fixing cheap craigslist bikes forever?

So I found something out over the weekend that I didnt know!

The honda grom is fuel injected AND they are now stocking the 2017 model, which looks way better in my opinion.

So per all my requirements above for getting a good bike for a 2 mile, 10 min commute, I think the grom may fit the profile what I need/want better than an electric bike.

Here's why:

1. The grom is cheaper, obviously... (hoping to get a new one with an ext warranty for like 4500 out the door)
  2. The grom is fuel injected, air cooled and electric start. This means during the winter here in cali (40-degree mornings) it will start up just fine and not complain about the 2 mile drive.
  3. its a honda, so you know its built tough
  4. I can buy one brand new. (im tired of used bikes, it will be nice to have something new)
  5. the speedometer will work. Currently I do not have a bike that has the correct MPH on the dash.....
  6. I am starting to track race my gsxr 600, and wanted a pit bike. The grom could double as a commuter and a pit bike easily.
  7. I am trying to get my girlfriend to start riding. She is currently practicing on my xr400 supermoto, but that bike is slightly intimidating (loud and quick) and kinda tall. The grom will allow her to get better at riding, balancing and take her DMV test with ease.
  8. the grom gets over 100 mpg. that means that the range issue of the electric bikes disappear.
  9. The groms have tons of aftermarket parts.
  10. I wont have to setup some kind of peace treaty with my new roommates for charging an electric bike, the grom will take like a gallon of gas every 2 or 3 weeks!  ?

Some cons:

• the bike only goes like 60 mph. The road I commute on can be up to 55 mph....(but only for a mile and I can avoid it) and again, I dont think the grom could be your only bike, luckily its not for me! it would be an awesome addition..
  • small amount of maintenance compared to none with the electric bikes (changing oil still and some chain maintenance)

Some mods I was thinking about for the grom (in order):

1. Fender eliminator kit
  2. K1S dash cam for safety reasons (http://tinyurl.com/ztcbkpo)
  3. Paint calipers black with high temp paint
  4. bar end mirrors
  5. Caliper lock w/ alarm (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/xena-xx-14-disc-lock-with-alarm)
  6. Ram iphone mount and usb charger
  7. Heat grips (the only part of riding to work that gets cold is my hands)

Some other mods maybe later down the line?

I kinda have this stupid little fantasy of having grom adventures with my girlfriend or friends from out of town. We could truck the bikes to cooler citys and places in california and communicate with bluetooth headsets.

Plus I can buy 2 of them new for less than a zero......

Thoughts?

Also, WHAT COLOR?!?!?!?! 

I am leaning toward white......as both my other bikes are kinda going down the white and black path.....

honda-grom-2017(2)__75456_zoom.jpg

Edited by diesel matt

Welp, 

It was funny to compare the two, a Grom and any of the Zero's.......but I bought a grom.....

I dont regret it, its really really smooth and quiet!...and fit my needs just fine. In the city streets, you dont even notice the lack of power because your cruising at the same speed you would be on a 1000....

I still want a Zero and will probably pick up a used on here soon just to have, but I hope my comparison/justification helps someone in the future! 

Within the first 200 miles I took her out to the canyons!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKzrK3BDtTd/?taken-by=mattbenich

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKzmUL7D2m4/?taken-by=mattbenich

Edited by diesel matt

• 1 month later...