HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Caraholic86

2015 vs 2016 WR450F

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to decide between buying a used 2015 or used 2016 wr450. I found a 2015 with only 40 miles on it for $5500 so I'm just wondering if I should buy it or wait for a good deal on a 2016.   I have read about starting issues with the previous generation (2012-2015) bikes.  Was the problem corrected by 2015?  I want the bike for trail riding and I want something that is going to last a long time and not have any issues so do you thing new design of the engine on the 2016 is going to be as reliable as the older version?

I can comment on my 2012 having the starting issues and I can comment on my friend buying a brand-new 2015 and still having the starting issues. After I got my full fmf exhaust and GYTR tuner on it it was a little bit easier to start but still has problems every now and then with the electric start. If you have a good leg it always turns over first kick. Also here in New Mexico if you buy a brand-new you can get a street title for it and possibly superMoto it later down the road. My WR is a superMoto and it's really fun I highly recommend it I can't speak too much on the 2016 because I have a 2012.

The starting issue was not corrected at the factory.

It's a combination of uncorking, remapping, and fixing the CO settings at idle.

The '16 motor is a better motor. Quieter, smooter, and still built the same, to be relibable.  I would not question it's ability to last like an old WR motor.

i had a 2012 and didn't  find a problem with the starting, all bikes are different. you've just got to find the right way to start it ( the way it likes) 

1 person likes this

i had a 2012 and didn't  find a problem with the starting, all bikes are different. you've just got to find the right way to start it ( the way it likes) 

If you fix the CO setting there is no " what the bike likes "  stab the button,  it starts,  neutral,  in gear,  it doesn't matter.  IT JUST STARTS.

Well the guy ended up coming down even more on the price so im now the proud owner of a 2015 WR450.  So far im 100% satisfied and haven't had any issues with it not wanting to start.  Coming from a DRZ 250 this bike is like night and day!  Is there any way to read the total hours on the ecu with a diagnostic tool?  I know you can on the competition ecu's but haven't had much luck finding out if it can be done on the stock ecu.

IMG_20160910_094549349.jpg