Real World Advice

Hello All, 

Newer to this forum. I joined a few years ago, but haven't been using it and lost my username. I haven't been racing since 2008 and am looking at getting back into it. The last bike I owned was an '06 YZF450 and I loved that bike. After a few easy mods to fork height and suspension, I couldn't find a better handling bike. I've been looking at newer used Yamahas (09-13) and am getting pretty discouraged with the magazine always nitpicking these bikes or giving them too many accolades. So I am looking to my fellow riders to give me the down and dirty on how these bikes really compare to my old fav, the '06. I know there are thousands of posts on these bikes and would take me probably a year to read through them all, so I'm asking you to humor me with this post.

Theses are my main concerns:

1. Does the EFI in the '10-'13 models suck as bad as the magazines say it does?

2. Do the newer ones handle any better?

3. Any long term problems noticed in these bikes?

I know Yamaha changed the exhaust quite a few times over the years, which is an easy fix, so not too worried about that. Suspension wise, I would be having it setup for me anyway, so that's not a big issue either. 

I'm a 40+ novice rider who wants to go to the track and have fun while still being competitive. I'm 6' and about 220 lbs w/o gear.

I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck on a used bike, which has me leaning more towards the pre FI models.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

EFI works great. I wouldn't want to go back to a carb. For what your doing a low hour bike that's properly set up is fine. You can re-map the ECU with a tuner. I have seen some nice used 10-13 YZ450's for sale in good shape. Don't be afraid of fuel injection and the reliability & build quality is high on the bikes.

EFI works great. I wouldn't want to go back to a carb. For what your doing a low hour bike that's properly set up is fine. You can re-map the ECU with a tuner. I have seen some nice used 10-13 YZ450's for sale in good shape. Don't be afraid of fuel injection and the reliability & build quality is high on the bikes.

I've seen a few 10-12 ones for sale for almost the same price as an 06-09 here in FL. I can get a '10 YZ450 with 30 hours for pretty cheap, which is what I was leaning towards. I had already planned on getting the tuner and playing with the mapping. Thanks for the input.

Great questions Mx911, I was going to post a similar question but the app on my phone wont allow me to create a new post, only reply to posts,

I am the same age height and weight as you and I am looking to get an mx bike as my Yz 250f is set up for enduro,

I had a 2011 Yz 450f and can comment on that, which I will probably get flamed for but this is in my opinion,

The 2011 yz 450f was a very strange bike in terms of handling, I did not enjoy it, I tried everything to set it up including the lowering link and nothing really helped, I am either going to get an 09 and spend some time and cash on it, or get a 2014 or newer but I want to avoid the 10 to 13 years, I dont know what the 14 and newer bikes are like compared to a well set up 09, perhaps someone else who has had both can compare?

Go with F.I.  For sure.  I have a 2011 450f. Its a good bike.  Just have to mess with the setup and get something that works for you. 

... but the app on my phone wont allow me to create a new post, only reply to posts,

IMG_1626.PNG