Broken Clutch Cable, Now Clutch Wont disengage HELP!

2003 YZ450F

Clutch cable snapped at handlebar while out riding. While looking at the damage I noticed I lost all tension on the push lever down where the cable connects too on the engine (I could freely move the lever back and forth).

I tore apart the clutch yesterday only to find no visible damage and everything is within spec as per the manual (plates and springs)

The issue seems to be the push rod(s) no longer extend long enough to push against the outer friction disk to release the friction in the clutch. I see no visiable damage, it just seems as if the push rod needs to be longer in order to push out the friction plate. I have no missing parts and yes the ball is in place in the outer push rod.

So I dont know where to go from here if I cant see anything wrong. Everything worked perfect beforw the cable snapped. The push lever still has the same throw of a quarter turn or so but it has no tension as the push rod does not press agaist the outer friction plate as it should.

I would approciate any help as I see plenty of issues like this but none of the solutions have helped me in my case. Thanks

Edited by adamsk7886

Have you tried it with a new cable?  With the cable removed (or broken) there is normally a considerable amount of slack in the release arm. 

BTW, with your hand off the lever, the clutch is engaged.  When you pull the lever in to stop the clutch from driving the transmission, it's disengaged.

Have you tried it with a new cable? With the cable removed (or broken) there is normally a considerable amount of slack in the release arm.

BTW, with your hand off the lever, the clutch is engaged. When you pull the lever in to stop the clutch from driving the transmission, it's disengaged.

I have tried it with the new cable and it does not make a difference. And yeah I meant disengage.The issue is the push rod does not come in contact with the outer friction plate and cant find a reason why Edited by adamsk7886

If it is just the slack I am feeling (about a quarter turn) I should still be able to use like some channel locks on the push lever and get the clutch to disengage which I cant

Edited by adamsk7886

When you took the clutch apart, after removing the pressure plate (item 6), you should have found "push rod 2", actually an assembly consisting of the release bearing and a short rod with a semi-spherical socket on the inboard end (items 14-17), a 10mm steel ball (#18), and "push rod 1", the long rod (19) running across the main shaft to the release arm.  The ball tens to stick on the oil film in the socket on the end of PR2, and will then drop out/off and wander away if you weren't aware of its presence.  If you assemble it without that extra 3/8" the ball adds to the length, it will do just what you say.

Also, any decent replica of the original clutch cable will have a mid-cable adjuster under a rubber sleeve about two inches downstream of the hand lever that is used to set the basic length of the housing.

51647_clutch.gif

When you took the clutch apart, after removing the pressure plate (item 6), you should have found "push rod 2", actually an assembly consisting of the release bearing and a short rod with a semi-spherical socket on the inboard end (items 14-17), a 10mm steel ball (#18), and "push rod 1", the long rod (19) running across the main shaft to the release arm. The ball tens to stick on the oil film in the socket on the end of PR2, and will then drop out/off and wander away if you weren't aware of its presence. If you assemble it without that extra 3/8" the ball adds to the length, it will do just what you say.

Also, any decent replica of the original clutch cable will have a mid-cable adjuster under a rubber sleeve about two inches downstream of the hand lever that is used to set the basic length of the housing.

51647_clutch.gif

Thanks for the help but the ball is in place inside push rod 2 alomg woth everything shown in the exploded view. This is what I dont understand.

I havent even touched the cable as I know the cable has nothing to do with the issue. It almost seems as if I put two balls in the push rod it would work perfectly. Thats how much of a gap I have.

Note this problem accured when the cable snapped, not when taking apart the clutch

Then putting a cable back in place will fix it.