HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

tremble

2014 tusk wiring harness question

7 posts in this topic

bought a tusk wiring harness have pretty much every thing hooked up, However I recently found that if i hit any of the switches (brake, turn signals, horn) on the tusk harness it will turn on regardless if the ignition switch is on or off. would their on/off switch change it where it only operates when turned on.  Also followed this post about wiring up the headlight http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1005190-2012-wr450-headlight/ it works but only when the bike is running, is there a way to have control of the 35w bulb just with the ignition on too?

The Tusk wire harness connects straight to the battery. There is a wire loop for a on and off switch that would turn it off.

1 person likes this

alright thanks, one more thing. I think i have a ground problem. any exposed wire connectors from the tusk harness will cause that wire to arcing if it touches the frame.

so my set up on the harness is i cut the three wire tail light connector from the tusk harness. I then only cut the yellow stock wire and then connected it to the 12v brake light on the tusk. for some reason that didn't light up my brake light with the switch so  then found out that if i touched the 12v running light on the tusk to the battery, the switch for the brake would work right. but now with that wire connected to the battery it will cause the wires to spark when touched to the frame. when it off the brake doesn't work however there is not arcing. 0828161530a.jpg

I didn't use the Tusk wired for the taillight or the brake light. The bike already has a taillight. The tusk hydraulic switch wire only needs to go to the other brake light wire existing from the stock taillight pig tail.

I know i could of hook it up that way, but doing it that way only give the option of having one brake switch instead of front and rear switch, right?

You could hook up a front brake light switch however you would need to use two extra wires to go to the back switch wires. Unless it's a supermoto or real street bike it's not necessary.