WR450F Horn Problem

Hi All,

I have a 2009 WR450F however the Horn is not working. I have replaced the amplifier and still no luck. Have tested the button and it appears to work ( test with multi-meter continuity)..   

Question:

• Is the horn AC or DC?
  • what voltage should be going to the horn?
  • Should the horn be earthed??
  • What does the amplifier do??

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciate as this is doing my head in.... it a simple horn.. .apparently NOT.

Cheers

Edited by Downunder_wr450

Amplifier ???

Do you mean Rectifier?

The horn is DC, + & - direct to the battery (via the harness and it's fuses), with a button interupting the connection.

MC horns are pretty fragile.

We don't get OEM horns over here: is it mechanical (round with a nut on the front and or rear) or is it electronic ( a square box with no adjustments) ?

If it is mechanical, usually the adjuster needs to be adjusted periodically to keep the horn working.

Dirt and water will render it dead, until you clean it and re-adjust it.

Its a Mechanical one.  Yes it is DC, however the button delivers 0.8 volts to the input of the amplifier and then 6 volts output towards the horn.

Its a Mechanical one.  Yes it is DC, however the button delivers 0.8 volts to the input of the amplifier and then 6 volts output towards the horn.

Sounds like a relay, and you have a 12v system, so maybe you are looking at the meter wrong ??

Finally got the Horn working.... End Result was a faulty Horn.

However just for those out there who will one day be troubleshooting a Horn. For and Australian ADR compliant WR450F the voltage from the button towards the input of the ampilifer is 0.8volts. Output from the Amplifier is 6 volts DC which connects to a 6v horn. Also note that the horn must be isolated from the frame i.e. NOT Earthed.

Good Luck out there... :)