Just Purchased A YZ450FX! Need advice with build list

No compressor.  It comes off the bottom of the shock.  Slide the bumper up some, you'll see how it works. 

Yea I waited too. Then boiled over 4 times on one really nasty1st gear trail.

At speed I wouldn't worry about it.

What are your thoughts on a 1.6 radiator cap?

That's 23.5 psi, and it's a bit high for my tastes, although it will effectively raise the boiling point another 10-15 degrees (F).  The risk it adds is that of a hose blowing or such as that. 

What are your thoughts on a 1.6 radiator cap?

Just say no. Use evans coolant and no worry's about cap pressure

I wouldn't worry about the 1.6 cap, fan (unless you ride a lot of really tight, gnarly, 1st gear clutching stuff) or Evans coolant.

Make your own coolant.  Mix up a batch of 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol antifreeze, and few capfuls of a surfactant like Redline Water Wetter.

I wouldn't worry about the 1.6 cap, fan (unless you ride a lot of really tight, gnarly, 1st gear clutching stuff) or Evans coolant.

Make your own coolant.  Mix up a batch of 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol antifreeze, and few capfuls of a surfactant like Redline Water Wetter.

80% water likely means two things. A boil over and not enough corrosion protection.

80% water likely means two things. A boil over and not enough corrosion protection.

No, it sure doesn't. I've been running this mixture for 10+ years, over a thousand hours on four different bikes with zero issues.

No, it sure doesn't. I've been running this mixture for 10+ years, over a thousand hours on four different bikes with zero issues.

What is the ratio of your mix in comparison to regular water and anti freeze.

What is the ratio of your mix in comparison to regular water and anti freeze.

I mix 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol

I mix 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol

All I know is in our type of extreme riding 50/50 coolant boils out pretty quick.

"Coolant" is a misnomer. Water cools much better than anti-freeze. Only use as much AF as needed for temps and lubricating purposes.

"Coolant" is a misnomer. Water cools much better than anti-freeze. Only use as much AF as needed for temps and lubricating purposes.

Your right but water boils out immediately on our rides. All our riders without fans run 100% anti freeze. The ones that are new that don't are on the side of the trail boiled over with their bike overheating. On my 16' with a fan I run about 70/30 coolant to water. The other reason to run at least 50/50 is corrosion protection.

Much of what you run depends on what type of riding you do. There are lots of flowing trail riders out there that might get away with almost no coolant. But I would still run 50/50.

Your right but water boils out immediately on our rides. All our riders without fans run 100% anti freeze. The ones that are new that don't are on the side of the trail boiled over with their bike overheating. On my 16' with a fan I run about 70/30 coolant to water. The other reason to run at least 50/50 is corrosion protection.

Much of what you run depends on what type of riding you do. There are lots of flowing trail riders out there that might get away with almost no coolant. But I would still run 50/50.

^ please note that this man rides vertical single track with 7 min long wide-open uphills ^ 

He has 'unrideable' trails and hills named after him, and is known as 'the snake' in certain circles.

There is no overheating and high-load senario that he has not experienced....and probably has discovered new ones in fact....

^ please note that this man rides vertical single track with 7 min long wide-open uphills ^ 

He has 'unrideable' trails and hills named after him, and is known as 'the snake' in certain circles.

There is no overheating and high-load senario that he has not experienced....and probably has discovered new ones in fact....

I feel like I just got busted.

I feel like I just got busted.

Sounds like my kind of ridin' buddy!

I'm confused. You mention 100% anti-freeze, 70/30 coolant to water, and then 50/50.

I'm confused. You mention 100% anti-freeze, 70/30 coolant to water, and then 50/50.

Yup different bikes and different riding. Not to be confused I called coolant as in = anti freeze.

Edited by stevethe

My suggestion is to buy the Honda prepared product and forget about it.

Honda anti freeze is just a 50/50 mix.