What clutch/springs are you guys running on your 450s?

My buddy has a 15 450 with less than 20 hours on it, and the clutch is already slipping a little bit when shifting. I know they dont last forever in the 450s, but was wondering if some heavier springs would help? Or an aftermarket clutch all together?

Mods are slight port and polish and a carrilo rod. I believe thats all

My buddy has a 15 450 with less than 20 hours on it, and the clutch is already slipping a little bit when shifting. I know they dont last forever in the 450s, but was wondering if some heavier springs would help? Or an aftermarket clutch all together?

Mods are slight port and polish and a carrilo rod. I believe thats all

Ones the clutch slips one good time, its over... Replace the clutch. Stop ridding the clutch.  Buy a 250 if you cant handle it. Just being honest.

Anyways... Hinson or Barnett clutch springs are great!!

Ones the clutch slips one good time, its over... Replace the clutch. Stop ridding the clutch. Buy a 250 if you cant handle it. Just being honest.

Anyways... Hinson or Barnett clutch springs are great!!

he doesnt slip the clutch and has been riding 450s for 7 years. He can handle it. Ill tell him to look into the hinson and barnett though

IMO, there is no reason to use any stiffer springs than OEM in the YZ450F, and the plates can take quite a bit of abuse

Ones the clutch slips one good time, its over... Replace the clutch.

It's not an automatic transmission, it's a dirt bike.  What does screw the factory clutch up sometimes is when you get it hot, and as you gain free play, you adjust it out.  Then when you get out of the rough stuff, the clutch cools down and you loose free play, but you overlook or forget adjusting it back in.  Then you ride the rest of the day with no free play and smoke the thing.

I use OEM Yamaha plates in my desert racer with a Rekluse Z-Start Pro, and I use it hard.  No problems. 

• Like 2

We use our clutches relentlessly. I have never had one slip yet and that's with way more hp than stock. The only thing that goes is the metal plates blue and warp eventually. Then they need replacing due to clutch drag.

The more popular way to toast a clutch is as Grey said by mis adjustment after abuse.

We use our clutches relentlessly. I have never had one slip yet and that's with way more hp than stock. The only thing that goes is the metal plates blue and warp eventually. Then they need replacing due to clutch drag.

The more popular way to toast a clutch is as Grey said by mis adjustment after abuse.

yeah that would make alot more sense. His 07 yz250 still has the stock clutch, so i know hes not abusing it. Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

We pulled it apart and cleaned the plates with brake cleaner and scuffed them up with a scotch bright. Worked perfect at the track today, no slipping at all. The best part is he has two clutches from his 10 450 that have the same problem. Good thing he didnt throw them away