dirtpaw12

2001 YZ426F PROBLEMS!

24 posts in this topic

Okay so I bought this bike sometime in the beginning of the year. It didn't want to start when I first got it so I took the carb off and cleaned it, went through the jets with a bobby pin and what not, made it start but had to be on choke if I wanted to run it without it cutting off when I let off the gas, so I took it apart again and cleaned it but it did not help at all so I decided just to run it on choke. It will not cruise at a steady speed because it's "jumpy" with the throttle in one position like its bogging so I just blip it unless I'm constantly increasing speed. Fast forward six months I'm still riding it with the choke on, backpopping every time I let off the throttle. I've also tried messing with the mixture knob but does nothing but help. I have posted this before but none of the answers I got worked and I'm completely fed up with it. Any help??

I only paid $1200 for it. 

Check valve clearance, check for vacuum and exhaust leaks, and/or clean the carb and jets thoroughly. Lots of posts on here on how to do all of these correctly.

There is a passage above the pilot with a 90 bend in it

Use fishing line and 'real' carb cleaner (carefully; don't get any on the slide plate) to clear the passage

Buy a brand new pilot jet.

Using a bobbypin to clean jets is like using a wooden down to clean a gun barrel. It does not work.

Is it hard to start? You are defiantly running too lean it sounds like. Id make sure your valve clearances are good before do anything else with the carb if they are off more than .15mm u could have a bad valve and make sure the timing is spot on cause it won't make any difference at all messing with the carb if those are out of spec. Next make sure you are running premium gasoline. If those are all good make sure u have the stock jets in the carb and the slide and needle jet are straight and move smoothly. If that doesn't help than it means the carb is still dirty or u have an airleak between the carb and and intake.

Bike starts as easy as any other, it might cut off if it hasn't been ridden in a while but starts right back up and bike

has never seen anything other than 93 octane gas

Edited by dirtpaw12

With my issue my idle screw only changes the idle speed when the choke is on. When the choke isn't on i can wind it all the way in or out and it makes no difference

With my issue my idle screw only changes the idle speed when the choke is on. When the choke isn't on i can wind it all the way in or out and it makes no difference

Same boat

New pilot jet in still will only just idle with with idle screw right in and backfires like a bitch. With choke on and idle screw wound out it idles perfectly and doesn't backfire when i blip the throttle.

Ok slide was upside-down cheers dirt paw. Put back together. And now can not start the bastard. Just keeps kicking all the way through the stroke. It was not like this earlier today. The bike would start quite easily with the stsrting process .