Johnny Depp

What Track Features Create the Most Injuries?

73 posts in this topic

From a risk assessment standpoint, if you wanted to reduce injuries what would you eliminate or change in track prep and design locally? 

It is obvious from the 3 pager on Tibial Plateau fractures there is a lot of experience with that on this site (and I broke mine in December too). We could even limit this to personal experience, but mine had nothing to do with a track feature (front brake endo).

I'm sure it's not cut and dry, and opinions vary. I'm don't think Pro tracks count. Just us weekend warriors that would like to see the sport stop trying to eliminate it's customer base. I've never been to LL's but I don't think they are constantly loading the helicopter there?

You would think in the only motorized sport with a starting gate it would be starts, but I don't think that is anywhere near the top issue.

From a risk assessment standpoint, if you wanted to reduce injuries what would you eliminate or change in track prep and design locally? 

It is obvious from the 3 pager on Tibial Plateau fractures there is a lot of experience with that on this site (and I broke mine in December too). We could even limit this to personal experience, but mine had nothing to do with a track feature (front brake endo).

I'm sure it's not cut and dry, and opinions vary. I'm don't think Pro tracks count. Just us weekend warriors that would like to see the sport stop trying to eliminate it's customer base. I've never been to LL's but I don't think they are constantly loading the helicopter there?

You would think in the only motorized sport with a starting gate it would be starts, but I don't think that is anywhere near the top issue.

I think it's jumps.. The airtime is at a ridiculous level... if just picking one thing

2 people like this

So I couldn't sleep, and just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, I meant this for VitalMX. Having coffee now. Should I leave it?

Probably turn cause the most, but if you get rid of them....

These seem safe enough?

maxresdefault.jpg

4 people like this

Whoops and Pivot Pegs = broken leg. 

Coming up short on a double/triple = airlift

Having some idiot land on you at the track = death

1 person likes this

Not really a BETA topic.....

...and everyone already knows the answers.

Yea..for a lot of trail riders its not a factor...We don't have a lot of trail races so Ive been tempted to go back to mx..but there are so many more bad injuries compared to when I raced a couple decades ago..I mean there are shrines of riders who died now at our riding park and the air time is dumb..Its make a jump just to make a jump..What ever happened to corner speed etc. I look at the track layout and say naaaaa.mx has dropped off dramatically and hare and hounds and hare scrambles etc have awesome turnouts. I can bang bark all day and not come up with femur fractures or needing to call fire rescue.

3 people like this

Was only talking about this the other day

IMO Jumps on the Mx tracks are bigger than ever. Look at early 90s des nations vs modern day des nations and you will see what I mean, the racing back then looked fun more bar bashing etc less about the air time. Now your amateur track down the road has bigger jumps than the early 90s pro mx stuff. I did read a good comment on how its half honda 's fault as when they pushed the 4t in early 00's tracks started to develop rhythm sections, jumps straight out of corners and bigger air time.

I also had a friend who recently got back into biking since 99-00 and he was saying how intimidated he feels going to a mx track now as the jumps have got much bigger.

People might disagree but I have heard mx clubs complain about numbers saying its dying out but if they went back to the 90s style Mx tracks I am sure more people would take back up mx.

7 people like this

Well...I was intersted to learn from my local cross country crew about this subject. Different than motocross but hey, lets all chat anyway.

To set the stage, they build 7-10 mile tracks on private land (deer leases typically). You would think, after zig zagging through trees from 1mph bar busters, to 25-30 mph runs through S type curves the woods would be the issue, but its not. 

When they build a track that cuts across an open field, they learned to put barrels/turns within the open field because thats where A- the speed gets up, but more importantly B- riders get out of the line and hit hidden stuff in the weeds/grass/dust, etc.

Would not have expected to learn that, then after watching a few races with more open space than desired, it provided a landing area for the chopper real close to the crash site unfortunately. 

So "whoops"-ish would be the answer in X-country stuff.

Just FYI from Texas.

At 47 y/o and wanting to avoid injury I look at things from a safety standpoint a lot when at the track,

Location of trackside fences, water sprinkler equipment, track entrance/exit signs well indicated, etc.

Often I see riders that are of similar skill level than I that would benefit from practicing a bit more on the 'intermediate' level track

venture out too soon on the larger main 'advanced' track, riding way above their heads and risking injury.

I can regularly out-brake and out-corner these guys on a 'intermediate' track but out of frustration they try make up for it by hitting jumps faster.

Track owner has taken note of the tendency, tries to add more features on the smaller track to keep

faster but yet skilled enough riders interested in the 'intermediate' track a bit longer before graduating up to the main track.

Edited by mlatour

Blind doubles! Im just shocked at local tracks that think this is ok for the local crowd. If you can't see the landing on the approach it should not be on the track. It's just not necessary to build jumps like that. Double jumps are enough of a mind game for many of us they are for me, takes me for ever to finally commit to a double and just do it. But throw in the technical side of it that you just don't know how far the landing is until you in the air is just crazy and unnecessary IMO. I like to be able to see the tip of,the landing on the approach so I know what the heck I'm aiming for. This perspective is coming from a vet rider at 51 y/o. I would just rather them build ALL table tops if I had it my way. Still just as fun but with way less consequence if you FU.

8 people like this

In my best opinion, the safest jumps would be tabletops.  The severity of the take off lip has a lot to do with it also.  If you can hit a jump in third or fourth with a mild lip, you will fly far, but not be that high in the air.  If I was building a track today, I would make all the jumps with long takeoffs but with a very low angle.  I am getting old though.

6 people like this