Vyse01

2006 yz450f keihin fcr...stuck hot start plunger

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys. trying to bring this poor bike back to life. plunger for hot start was seized bad and wouldnt budge no matter what i tried. heat,soaking it, nothing worked. finally noticed a small freeze plug next to the spot where the plunger sits. had to pop that out to be able to pry the plunger out from underneath. now i am in need of a new freeze plug. you cannot by the plug from yamaha and i cant fine one online anywhere. does anyone know of any outlets that would sell a freeze plug that small?

No idea, but it should be a fun search.  Try contacting someone in the area who rebuilds carbs.

For anyone else who runs into this, the last ditch attempt should not be to remove any such passage plugs.  Instead drill and tap the plunger for a 6-32 screw thread.  Then get a screw long enough to thread into the plunger completely with a half inch to spare above the carb body.  Run a nut onto the screw, then a washer, then bottom the screw out in the plunger.  Use the nut on the screw as a puller to extract the plunger.

2 people like this

No idea, but it should be a fun search.  Try contacting someone in the area who rebuilds carbs.

For anyone else who runs into this, the last ditch attempt should not be to remove any such passage plugs.  Instead drill and tap the plunger for a 6-32 screw thread.  Then get a screw long enough to thread into the plunger completely with a half inch to spare above the carb body.  Run a nut onto the screw, then a washer, then bottom the screw out in the plunger.  Use the nut on the screw as a puller to extract the plunger.

Thanks for the tip!