HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
don319

New WR426 Owner!

7 posts in this topic

Hello! I just bought a 2002 WR426 from a dealer in my area, still new in the crate. I had purchased a used Y2K YZ426 on a whim last spring after not riding in the dirt for over 20 years! What a blast! I can't remember having this much fun on a dirtbike!

This is a great site stuffed full of great info!

Anyways, I am currently setting up the WR to my preferences. So far, the dealer removed the exhaust plug and put in a YZ throttle stop. All stock otherwise. Only have about an hour on it so far, but it IS different than the YZ! It snowed here last night 7+ inches, so now I gotta wait until it warms a tad. Any other freebies I should do before breakin?

Thanks!

D

Congradulations on your purchase. And welcome to TT. Be sure to hold on to your exhaust plug. Do not let the dealer keep it because depending on where you ride you might be needing to reinstall it because of sound restrictions. For example I like to ride in the Oregon dunes on my WR and the noise level is only 93db (or 96??). And when my plug is not installed it is way over the legal limit. To reslove this I simply carry the plug with me. If a sheriff stops me I just say it fell out. :)

Is there any advantage to going to the YZ map/gray wire mod if the cams are not retimed?

The grey wire mod won't give you YZ mapping, but it will improve performance, with or without YZ cam timing. There is no grey wire on Canadian models...It only serves to retard ignition timing to reduce exhaust emissions on USA's WR's. To have YZ ignition timing, you could install your YZ's ignition control module on your YZ-cam-timed WR... This would also raise your rev-limiter from 10500 RPM to 11500 RPM.

Interesting stuff. I thought that the CDI contained the YZ and the WR map and the gray wire activated the WR map.

I do not have enough time on the WR yet to get into changing the power curve. The WR tranny really spreads things out compared to the YZ close-ratio. I have to get out and put some miles on the WR to get a better feel for it.

Thanks for the info!

Don

The grey wire mod won't give you YZ mapping, but it will improve performance, with or without YZ cam timing. There is no grey wire on Canadian models...It only serves to retard ignition timing to reduce exhaust emissions on USA's WR's. To have YZ ignition timing, you could install your YZ's ignition control module on your YZ-cam-timed WR... This would also raise your rev-limiter from 10500 RPM to 11500 RPM.

Removing the grey wire does switch a WR CDI from the WR ingition timings to the YZ ignition timings. It also makes a difference in the upper revs. I wish I could find the link for it, but somebody did a complete writeup on the grey wire mod with charts to show the spark advance versus speed with and without the grey wire connected.