2016 WR450 for my Dad

I spent the last month working on my Dads new WR450, getting it ready for Colorado. I had my pal Jim lower the suspension 20mm, re-spring and re-valve for his sit down riding style (bad back). I had it desmogged and remapped then added an FMF Q4. Then a seat concepts lower seat. Then came a Scott's unit, hand guards, skid plate, TM Designs chain guide, MotoZ tires, Michelin UHDT's, GPS and GPS hard wire and eBay license plate bracket. It runs incredible and I'm really excited to hammer on this bike in Colorado. I want to see for myself how it stacks up to my KTM.

But lastly, the final Mod. IMS 3 gallon tank..
This funky tank just barely fits. It was quite the challenge installing this thing and took us a while to get it on. The fuel line connector was a challenge but I finally figured it out. The design of the new WR makes the fuel situation a bit tricky. Anyway, it's done and runs incredible. I'll report back later with my thoughts.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469675073.342898.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469675090.336042.jpg

Edited by Dan_Lorenze
  • Like 1

Tank looks good, there always seems to be a sacrifice for that xtra gallon, I had to get YZ wings for mine to work. Worth it though an extra gallon means a lot. Good of you to do so much on Dads bike, have a great trip

• Like 1

I spent the last month working on my Dads new WR450, getting it ready for Colorado. I had my pal Jim lower the suspension 20mm, re-spring and re-valve for his sit down riding style (bad back). I had it desmogged and remapped then added an FMF Q4. Then a seat concepts lower seat. Then came a Scott's unit, hand guards, skid plate, MotoZ tires, Michelin UHDT's, GPS and GPS hard wire and eBay license plate bracket. It runs incredible and I'm really excited to hammer on this bike in Colorado. I want to see for myself how it stacks up to my KTM.

This funky tank just barely fits. It was quite the challenge installing this thing and took us a while to get it on. The fuel line connector was a challenge but I finally figured it out. The design of the new WR makes the fuel situation a bit tricky. Anyway, it's done and runs incredible. I'll report back later with my thoughts.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469675073.342898.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469675090.336042.jpg

Watch the Ebay license plate bracket.  Mine got caught in the rear knobby the first ride out last week and broke almost tore the entire rear taillight off.  Seems that the rear fender flexes a lot more with that aluminum mount and the angle hits the rear tire when the suspension bottoms.  I thought it was really slick looking but going to have to figure something else out.

Great job on the setup though and yes these bikes are incredible!

Watch the Ebay license plate bracket.  Mine got caught in the rear knobby the first ride out last week and broke almost tore the entire rear taillight off.  Seems that the rear fender flexes a lot more with that aluminum mount and the angle hits the rear tire when the suspension bottoms.  I thought it was really slick looking but going to have to figure something else out.

Great job on the setup though and yes these bikes are incredible!

Thank you for the heads up on the license plate bracket, I will have to address this. 

First 3 gallon tank I've seen on a 2016, looks better than I thought it would! How much wider is it than the stock shrouds?

And what kind of reputation does these kind of tanks have when it comes to crashes, do they hold up well?

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the last month working on my Dads new WR450, getting it ready for Colorado. I had my pal Jim lower the suspension 20mm, re-spring and re-valve for his sit down riding style (bad back). I had it desmogged and remapped then added an FMF Q4. Then a seat concepts lower seat. Then came a Scott's unit, hand guards, skid plate, TM Designs chain guide, MotoZ tires, Michelin UHDT's, GPS and GPS hard wire and eBay license plate bracket. It runs incredible and I'm really excited to hammer on this bike in Colorado. I want to see for myself how it stacks up to my KTM.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469675073.342898.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1469675090.336042.jpg

Hey Dan - mine just showed up and I'm planning on putting it on this weekend. Thank you for the pic - I was worried it would look really bizarre but it looks great!

I don't understand how the fuel that gets into the bottom of the "wings" ever makes it into the engine though. How's that working out for you?

I wish I had a son like you Dan.

Man I would love to have a tricked out 2016.

Excellent work young man!

• Like 1

Hey Dan - mine just showed up and I'm planning on putting it on this weekend. Thank you for the pic - I was worried it would look really bizarre but it looks great!

I don't understand how the fuel that gets into the bottom of the "wings" ever makes it into the engine though. How's that working out for you?

I thought the same. I am guessing if it gets down to the point where you are running on fumes you'll need to elevate the front end by wheelie or drive up something to get that last bit of gas in the wings to move towards the back of the tank. Not ideal. Maybe it's a redundant 'reserve' system [emoji6].....

• Like 1

My kid has a 3 gal IMS on his 15 WR250F. He has beat the snot out of it and it looks great and seems to be structurally sound. At the time, I could't find any radiator guards that worked with the tank, so there are no guards on it. The radiators still look fairly straight, so I think it protects pretty well also. I had a problem on install getting the sending unit to seal, but a little filing of the brass inserts solved the issue.

First 3 gallon tank I've seen on a 2016, looks better than I thought it would! How much wider is it than the stock shrouds?

And what kind of reputation does these kind of tanks have when it comes to crashes, do they hold up well?

• Like 2

My kid has a 3 gal IMS on his 15 WR250F. He has beat the snot out of it and it looks great and seems to be structurally sound. At the time, I could't find any radiator guards that worked with the tank, so there are no guards on it. The radiators still look fairly straight, so I think it protects pretty well also. I had a problem on install getting the sending unit to seal, but a little filing of the brass inserts solved the issue.

I was wondering about possible improvements in radiator protection. Cool. 

BTW this is a prototype I'm working on to replace the stock restrictor on my 2016. 

IMG_7005.JPG