Break in procedure: Cylinder Works

Alright, so I've got a new cylinder kit by cylinder works. Comes with a Vertex Piston (which looks a bit weird/scuffed up to be honest). 

I know this is akin to a "what's the best oil to use" thread, but I was hoping to get some input. I've heard about both the "low rpm for the first 500km" rule, as well as the "high throttle, but always rev up and down without staying at the same RPMs for too long" lines of thought (motoman?). What do you guys recommend for a bike such as the 450?

Their website states the following:

Cylinder Break-In Procedure

How to best break-in a cylinder is another question posed to us by many riders. We suggest that when you’re breaking in a new cylinder, keep the first two to three hours at a low RPM and small amount of throttle opening, while keeping the engine temperature low.

Seems easy/simple enough. Thoughts? 

Do what they say.

I ran a bunch of heat cycles. First I let it warm up in the stand then shut it off and let it cool. Then I took it outside and did one very gentle ride, always moving up and down in the rpm range but below 1/3 throttle. Let it cool down. I repeated that process 3 times, each time giving a little more throttle until on the last cycle I just ride normal.

The low rpm rule is for a brand new motor, more than a top end.

I have learned that heat cycles do nothing to modern motors, as the metals are all annealed and 'done' already.

It does allow expansion and contraction, so you can do a final torque check.

I would idle for 2+ min, ride the bike with all partial throttle low gear acceleration and deceleration, for 10 min, then your rings are seated and you are done.

You want to minimize the load, but maximize the ring contact pressure.

Doing up and down a hill, on and off the throttle, with lots of decelleration, supposedly is the best.

That's how I have done the last 15 motors or so, and when I open them up later, they have no ring blow-by what so ever....

IMG_3522_zpsfdeb0b6b.jpg

Ive always used motomans theory. It sounds a little scary but ive done alot of engines this way with nothing but excellent results.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Edited by knuckleduster271

Thanks, I think I'll combine your ideas. I'll warm it up 3 mins then let it cool down, then take it for a ride doing Krannie's method, but for 2 hours. The cylinder looks great, but I have to say that the Vertex piston doesn't look as "clean" as my old Wiseco 2-stroke pistons... Won't matter once it's inside, but the blemishes are a bit weird...

DSCN1409.jpg 

DSCN1410.jpg 

DSCN1411.jpg 

Thanks, I think I'll combine your ideas. I'll warm it up 3 mins then let it cool down, then take it for a ride doing Krannie's method, but for 2 hours. The cylinder looks great, but I have to say that the Vertex piston doesn't look as "clean" as my old Wiseco 2-stroke pistons... Won't matter once it's inside, but the blemishes are a bit weird...

DSCN1409.jpg 

DSCN1410.jpg 

DSCN1411.jpg

Piston looks like it's been sitting around a while otherwise fine.

I bought the cylinder works 478 big bore kit for my 2012 wr450. I just ran it lightly for a week or so to break it in. I found this kit to give the bike more torque in the low end. Fun kit!