HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Beav

When is Honda gonna get electric start?

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard? I would love to stick with Honda for my next bike, but an electric start is a must have. Are there any rumors? I know the 650L has it, but I want a 650R.

There is a kit out there. I don't know who it is made by. If you want an electric start, than get an "L". I see guys all the time with the magic button. Screw that. If your man enough to sling a leg over the 650r, you best be able to kick the pig.

The CR230F has it and so does the CRF250X. The CRF450X will have it when it comes out later this year. It's just a matter of time until most bike have it.

There used to be a thread here or on another board about the JoRacer e-start XR650R kit and the guy who had it installed on his bike was very unhappy. He was quoted one price and then charged way more than the agreed price. They hacked off his GPR stabilizer post to mount the battery and the bike didn't even run after he picked it up from JoRacer who did the install for him and blamed the bike not running on something else besides the kit even though the bike supposedly ran fine before it went into JoRacer for the e-start kit. The thread had a lot of info and comments from others including threats made to the customer, but reading it would have made you think twice about this kit or the service received.

Baja Designs has been working on an electric start for our bike...not sure if its on the market or what. Might want to give them a call and find out whats up...

Yeah, I've talked with Alan at BD about it several times and it was supposed to be released last year :) The only thing supposedly holding it up was the battery technology and that was supposed to be worked out a ways back. I dunno the status and gave up on it. I just don't wanna spend another $1K on this bike with the CRF450X in my sights :D

Yeah, it aint that hard to start anyways.

When it's warm mine starts up on the first or second kick and I have the stock carb.

Honda will probably put an electric start on it at the same time that they finally get around to putting street gear on it and retiring the 'L'. Though at this rate, we'll all be living on Mars before they perform such a feat.

The XR650R is easy to start but as Irondude said if you dump one they flood, like right now. And its a long procedure to get it started. Mine generally starts first kick and since I installed the edelbrock pumper it does not flood when I lay it down. I still can think of many situations where an E-button would be advantagous.

Just kill the bike on a narrow mountain trail with a cliff to one side. There is not much room to balance the bike and kick it over. The E-Button becomes worth its weight in Gold.

Baja designs told me their E-Button for the XR would be out in about 2 months. That was a month ago. But like others have noted they have been stringing this thing along for over a year now. I was told they were looking for a manufacturer. Who knows? :)

The magic button would come in handy for me too, not that my bike is hard to start by anymeans, but it would be an added convenience that I'd use. It would have been handy to have the magic button when riding with my sons last time out just for the piece in mind. It was night time on a narrow trail that had a quick short, but steep incline and my boys stopped at the top of the trail because it appeared to have a steep drop in front of them, but it was just the lights & shadows playing tricks on their eyes. In anycase, my front wheel was on the flat, but part of my bike was hanging down the trail/hill. There was no place to park to the right or the left of them (darn kids!), so I was essentially stuck in a precarious position for a minute. My bike did not stall (z-Start :)), but if it did, it would not have been fun trying to start it and turning around was not a good option. I used to always stop in locations where I could bump start my bike because my legs often give me problems after riding a while, but I can no longer bump start with the z-Start, so the magic button would be nice for me if it had one.

I talked to Baja Designs today about their E-button for the XR650R. They told me they are waiting on the delivery of the case peices. They expect them in about 2 weeks. Then they are going to do another week of testing to make sure everything works reliably. They took my phone number down and said they will call me. It is going to cost close $800.00 for the whole setup.

qadsan, how do you like the z-start clutch?

I really like it and would buy it again :). In fact, I'll definitely be putting one on my next bike whatever that may be.

Such a retrofit on an existing design is no small task. I wouldn't count on seeing that until a next generation design comes out. In other words, don't hold your breath waiting! Still, the 650R is one of the easiest starting thumpers I've ever had, and it really doesn't need the extra weight in it's current form!

:)

just got(2/23/04) this email response from Baja Designs :

"They will be ready in 2 weeks my xt.is126 call and place an order in 2 weeks call april 12th"

Quick, someone get one and let us in on the "real" details.

The magic button would come in handy for me too, not that my bike is hard to start by anymeans, but it would be an added convenience that I'd use. It would have been handy to have the magic button when riding with my sons last time out just for the piece in mind. It was night time on a narrow trail that had a quick short, but steep incline and my boys stopped at the top of the trail because it appeared to have a steep drop in front of them, but it was just the lights & shadows playing tricks on their eyes. In anycase, my front wheel was on the flat, but part of my bike was hanging down the trail/hill. There was no place to park to the right or the left of them (darn kids!), so I was essentially stuck in a precarious position for a minute. My bike did not stall (z-Start ), but if it did, it would not have been fun trying to start it and turning around was not a good option. I used to always stop in locations where I could bump start my bike because my legs often give me problems after riding a while, but I can no longer bump start with the z-Start, so the magic button would be nice for me if it had one.

My buddy just bought the 250x last week and the e-Start is great. The bike does not have enough power for me, but I would like the 450x if one is made. I talked to the dealer when we picked up his bike and they stated that they don't even know if Honda is thinking about a 450x. do you have any inside scoop?