YZ450FX wish list

If Yamaha would read this, how can this bike be made better from an already awesome motorcycle?

-slightly larger fuel tank...8.5L

-steel braided brake lines

-better fastening system on air box.  Those little quick release tabs are weak

-plastic cover over fuse/electrical area

-front number plate bottom fastening system.  Maybe taller posts.  Mine keeps coming off the posts at bottom

I'm tempted to ask for lighter weight, but that comes with repercussions...Higher MSRP and a weaker bike.  Yamaha has made this bike as a long haul tough machine.  I'm really impressed.

If Yamaha would read this, how can this bike be made better from an already awesome motorcycle?

-slightly larger fuel tank...8.5L

-steel braided brake lines

-better fastening system on air box. Those little quick release tabs are weak

-plastic cover over fuse/electrical area

-front number plate bottom fastening system. Maybe taller posts. Mine keeps coming off the posts at bottom

I'm tempted to ask for lighter weight, but that comes with repercussions...Higher MSRP and a weaker bike. Yamaha has made this bike as a long haul tough machine. I'm really impressed.

Everything you mention, you could buy for less then $500. Short of the weight loss...

• Like 1

Everything you mention, you could buy for less then $500. Short of the weight loss...

True, but if it comes from the factory its much cheaper and easier.  I'm sure most people would appreciate these things, so why not.  If your putting in a fuel tank at 7.5 L then to put one in at 8.5 is probably about the same price.  Same goes for the brake lines.  As far as weight loss goes, there are probably some simple changes to shave 5 lbs...aside from the Lion battery and kick starter removal. 

It doesn't look like theres much for changes on the 2017.  Different suspension settings and a fuel gauge with an FI light.

• Like 1

True, but if it comes from the factory its much cheaper and easier. I'm sure most people would appreciate these things, so why not. If your putting in a fuel tank at 7.5 L then to put one in at 8.5 is probably about the same price. Same goes for the brake lines. As far as weight loss goes, there are probably some simple changes to shave 5 lbs...aside from the Lion battery and kick starter removal.

It doesn't look like theres much for changes on the 2017. Different suspension settings and a fuel gauge with an FI light.

Buy a KTM? Everything your asking for comes on a KTM, but you going to pay a $1500-2000 dollar premium... It's all about price point and for people "wanting" a viable offroad model from the Japanese, the YZ450FX is one of the best offered...

• Like 2

Buy a KTM? Everything your asking for comes on a KTM, but you going to pay a $1500-2000 dollar premium... It's all about price point and for people "wanting" a viable offroad model from the Japanese, the YZ450FX is one of the best offered...

Save your money and buy the yamaha and ride on the best suspension out there.  I'd rather staple my nuts to the seat than buy a KTM.

• Like 6

I would not want a bigger fuel tank from the factory. 50+ miles of trail riding or a hour and a half GP race is plenty for the masses. Another rider posted he did a 70 mile trail ride on his so I think the 2 gallon tank is plenty. I do wish there were better aftermarket options for larger fuel tanks. Something that added half or three quarters of a gallon and was able to keep the stock fuel cap/cover. 

• Like 3

I would not want a bigger fuel tank from the factory. 50+ miles of trail riding or a hour and a half GP race is plenty for the masses. Another rider posted he did a 70 mile trail ride on his so I think the 2 gallon tank is plenty. I do wish there were better aftermarket options for larger fuel tanks. Something that added half or three quarters of a gallon and was able to keep the stock fuel cap/cover. 

70 miles flat, following your son on his TT125.

15 miles, maybe, riding the Snakepit or the Wolftrap or the Donkeyland..

It's all about the application...

• Like 1

I did 70 miles on mine and still had fuel to spare.  Mix of tight single track and fire roads, I was easy on the throttle on the roads for the most part.  I agree maybe 2.5 gallons would be nice for certain days, but I'm pretty convinced the range on the stock tank is more than adequate for 95% of the rides I'll do.

The stock tank is pretty useless unless you like to baby your bike or go for short rides. The nice part about having a 2.9 gallon tank is there are no excuses. Ride all day anywhere and anyway you wish. I tried the stock tank with a half gallon in my backpack what a pain and it wasn't enough. I hated it.

The 2.9 Acerbis was definitely the answer.

All the riders in our group use 2.9 gallon and up tanks.

The stock tank is pretty useless unless you like to baby your bike or go for short rides. The nice part about having a 2.9 gallon tank is there are no excuses. Ride all day anywhere and anyway you wish. I tried the stock tank with a half gallon in my backpack what a pain and it wasn't enough. I hated it.

The 2.9 Acerbis was definitely the answer.

All the riders in our group use 2.9 gallon and up tanks.

I just with the 2.9 was a little more of a straight forward fit... having to move all the electronics and such seems like a pain in the you-know-where.  If IMS or someone else comes out with a 2.5 that has a regular cap and not a drybreak that may be worth considering for me.

I just with the 2.9 was a little more of a straight forward fit... having to move all the electronics and such seems like a pain in the you-know-where. If IMS or someone else comes out with a 2.5 that has a regular cap and not a drybreak that may be worth considering for me.

That IMS tank you wish for is in the works...

• Like 4

I just with the 2.9 was a little more of a straight forward fit... having to move all the electronics and such seems like a pain in the you-know-where.  If IMS or someone else comes out with a 2.5 that has a regular cap and not a drybreak that may be worth considering for me.

Moving the electronics is simply a mater of removing them from the fender. There is no re wiring. The hardest part is making a battery box. Any fabricator should be able to due it for you.

I believe the 2.5 gallon IMS is available with a adapter that goes on top of the dry break.

That IMS tank you wish for is in the works...

This I know, just waiting to hear they are available!

Moving the electronics is simply a mater of removing them from the fender. There is no re wiring. The hardest part is making a battery box. Any fabricator should be able to due it for you.

Understood, I read over your thread a few times.

This is not a, "Which bike do I buy?" thread.  This is about guys that have already chosen this bike, love it and then want to make it a little better...no point in talking about ktm's or other brands

Does any aftermarket company build a plastic cover for the back fender electrical area?

Does any aftermarket company build a plastic cover for the back fender electrical area?

I think lightspeed make a carbon guard for it. There is a guy on this forum somewhere who can make them too. I'm sure someone will know who it was.

This is not a, "Which bike do I buy?" thread.  This is about guys that have already chosen this bike, love it and then want to make it a little better...no point in talking about ktm's or other brands

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1185301-450fx-relays-under-battery-box/

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1128285-fx-electronics-guard/