woodduck

WR450F 2016 Turns Itself On

11 posts in this topic

Gday all,

Has anyone had issues with their bike turning itself on after riding in the rain? Was riding when it started to rain fairly heavy. Got home, washed it and admittedly put it away wet, went into the garage about an hour later and the ignition is on. Turn it off and 5 seconds later turns itself back on.

Dried all the relays and connectors with compressed air, still doing it. Dried the starter switch same.

Had a quick search and couldn't find anything wondering if anyone has heard of this happening.

Thanks

Steve

Mine went on when I gave it a heavy washing under the seat to clean it for the Acerbis tank installation. But it only stayed on for a minute then off. You got one of the relays too wet. That relay might be best served zip tied toward the top of the underside of the seat. They also make a cover that goes over the relays. It's in the YZ, WR250 section if you do a search.

Edited by stevethe

If you ever put the big Acerbis YZ450 on all the electronics can go under the fender seat area which are better protected.

I will look into a cover of some description. Thanks

I think i have isolated it to the starter switch, when measured with a multimeter it only reads 40-60kohms.

Hi did you ever find out the exact cause , mine is giving me hell, starts cycling the ignition and priming the fuel pump. Then tonight i was laying in bed and heard my bike start in the shed. It had started itself

CaveMike have cousin who turn himself on. Problem get so bad no one willing hang out with him. Hopefully bike get fixed or it going end up alone like cousin.

My mates 2017 wr450f is priming it self and if you push the stop button you can hear relays are clicking on and off. We have tried 2 different stop and start buttons but it is still the same. 

We think its the main starting relay that is under fuel tank and has the red tape on wire.

I'm ordering a new relay today we should be able to try it  this weekend.

My mates 2017 wr450f is priming it self and if you push the stop button you can hear relays are clicking on and off. We have tried 2 different stop and start buttons but it is still the same. 

We think its the main starting relay that is under fuel tank and has the red tape on wire.

I'm ordering a new relay today we should be able to try it  this weekend.

Any updates on this?  I have the exact same problem when mine gets wet.  It doesn't actually crank but lights/dash/fuel pump turn on and off constantly.  Eventually it will stop and sometimes it lasts longer than others.  I've also had it go months without doing it, then it will act up one day then be fine for a while.  I also cleaned/dried/dielectric grease every connector but still had the problem after that.

Did the starter relay fix it for good?  I looked at the wiring diagram and couldn't figure out what fault/bad connection would cause this issue.