HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

blbills

YZ450FX Shrouds

18 posts in this topic

There has been a bit of discussion in other threads about how the 450FX shrouds differ from the 450F but just wanted to start a new topic to make it more searchable in the future.

I purchased a 450F graphics kit for my 450FX knowing that there were some "minor" differences between the radiator shrouds.  Come to find out, when I just placed the graphics over the FX shrouds there was just no way to trim them and make them work.  You'll notice that not only are the FX shrouds longer in the front, but they are also "chopped" in the back.

So I set out to understand what the differences were and hopefully this is of some benefit to others.

What I ended up doing is purchasing a 2015 YZ250FX full Acerbis plastic kit.  This kit contains the FX rear fender to accommodate the FX battery while also coming with the standard "F" radiator shrouds.  The perfect mix.

Just to summarize:

If you want to make 450F graphics work on a 450FX you can purchase 250/450F or 250FX shrouds.  And if you are in search of a full plastics kit, go with a 250FX setup.

Shroud1.jpg

Shroud2.jpg

1 person likes this

Good to know for future reference.  Personally though I love the looks of the stock graphics and don't want to cover them up or switch.

1 person likes this

Just put a 3 gal IMS and u don't have to worry about it.

Gag.  I'd rather strap a 5 gallon can to my back than put that ugly thing on my bike!

7 people like this

Gag.  I'd rather strap a 5 gallon can to my back than put that ugly thing on my bike!

Couldn't agree more.

OK. 

Pics of that please!

Just to summarize:

If you want to make 450F graphics work on a 450FX you can purchase 250/450F or 250FX shrouds.  And if you are in search of a full plastics kit, go with a 250FX setup.

Did you fit the 450F shrouds to see if they fit ok on a 450FX?

Did you fit the 450F shrouds to see if they fit ok on a 450FX?

I have 450F shrouds on my FX.

I mainly did it because graphics are more readily available for the F vs FX.

No fitment issues whatsoever.

I have 450F shrouds on my FX.

I mainly did it because graphics are more readily available for the F vs FX.

No fitment issues whatsoever.

Excellent, thanks!

That's what i'm finding too, and that F shrouds are more readily available than FX/WR shape!

Has anybody put the cycra powerflow shrouds on their fx. I'm trying to find out if the model for the 450f will fit the fx. They have a set for the 250fx/wr250f and the have a set for the 450f but no 450fx is listed in the parts detail.

Has anybody put the cycra powerflow shrouds on their fx. I'm trying to find out if the model for the 450f will fit the fx. They have a set for the 250fx/wr250f and the have a set for the 450f but no 450fx is listed in the parts detail.

I haven't done it but I'd imagine both would work. I say that because I went from 450FX shrouds to 450F shrouds

and they fit like a glove. Maybe someone will chime in and confirm this.

The work, no issues...

Does the Cycra kit really make a difference on the width of the shrouds? Does the bike feel not as wide?

Does the Cycra kit really make a difference on the width of the shrouds? Does the bike feel not as wide?

Its actually the same width at the widest point, but higher up its narrower. I can feel the difference when i slide forward on the bike in turns. Its supposed to help with airflow to the rads and filter while using less plastic. Graphics kits have to be trimmed a little to fit. Its one of those things that you dont really need but nice to have i guess. Edited by jimbopitts