Wr450f at higher speeds wobbles quite a bit

Is this normal and something that can be solved with something like a scotts steering stabilizer or is there possibly something wrong ? Its at speeds around 70mph or higher. Any input is appreciated.

Check everything, bent rims, tires not seated properly on rims etc.

Is this normal and something that can be solved with something like a scotts steering stabilizer or is there possibly something wrong ? Its at speeds around 70mph or higher. Any input is appreciated.

Define 'wobble'....

Do you mean the handle bars wag left to right?

The wheels jump?

The rear fish tails?

Front shocks choked up too far in clamps.

Define 'wobble'....

Do you mean the handle bars wag left to right?

The wheels jump?

The rear fish tails?

Handle bars left to right

Eh, I've done 162kph (100mph) on mine with no wobble. Probably got something wrong somewhere like a bearing or something.

Eh, I've done 162kph (100mph) on mine with no wobble. Probably got something wrong somewhere like a bearing or something.

Oh dang. Completely stock, no stabilizer? And gearing do you have?

Rear wheel alignment

Rear sag/ fork height

Steering damper

Rear wheel alignment

Rear sag/ fork height

Steering damper

Those the things that could be off causing this?

And you think a steering damper would help this?

Edited by Turtlerider

Those the things that could be off causing this?

And you think a steering damper would help this?

Yes and yes

Yes and yes

And when you say fork height, is the tripple clamp too high on the fork?

And when you say fork height, is the tripple clamp too high on the fork?

It's all inter-related

Forks slid up in the triple clamps will give less rake/faster turning / more head shake

Sag to small in the rear does the same thing

Handling is tuned by fork height and sag, but usually at the expense of some head shake and deflection

That is why steering dampers exist

If your rear wheel is not perfectly aligned then it too causes problems

Also, the WR450F is never going to be highly stable at 70+ mph, as it was not made for that.

You MUST balance your front and rear wheels before going that fast for any length of time.

You really need to get a manual on basic motorcycle set up as this is entry level stuff

The Yamaha factory service manual is very good, and free from Yamaha

It's all inter-related

Forks slid up in the triple clamps will give less rake/faster turning / more head shake

Handling is tuned by fork height and sag, but usually at the expense of some head shake and deflection

Also, the WR450F is never going to be highly stable at 70+ mph, as it was not made for that.

You MUST balance your front and rear wheels before going that fast for any length of time.

You really need to get a manual on basic motorcycle set up as this is entry level stuff

Ya, i already have one, just didnt realize asking for help on a forum was frowned upon.. If it hurts you too much to help, you dont have to. Im not forcing you, i promise.

Ya, i already have one, just didnt realize asking for help on a forum was frowned upon.. If it hurts you too much to help, you dont have to. Im not forcing you, i promise.

No, but being a dick to someone who is helping you is frowned upon...

Wow a greatfull guy that lost all of his greatness and ended up full-of-it.

Oh dang. Completely stock, no stabilizer? And gearing do you have?

Was completely stock, gearing was 14/47 but I've since changed that.

Was completely stock, gearing was 14/47 but I've since changed that.

Gotcha, thanks

No, but being a dick to someone who is helping you is frowned upon...

Didnt realize how butt-hurt everyone gets.. Why the smart little comments then? So if you offer help, you can be a dick about it? That how it works here?

It's all inter-related

The other day I had mine up around 95-100 and it seemed perfectly fine. Oddly enough, I've had a bit of a weave at 80ish before, not sure why it didn't this time. 

17s with street tires and suspension isn't stock, but no damper.

Didnt realize how butt-hurt everyone gets.. Why the smart little comments then? So if you offer help, you can be a dick about it? That how it works here?

Hey check your personal issues prior to posting nonsense mate.

Edited by stevethe