HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

espkul

Braking power on my yz450f '15

12 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've a question reg. braking power on my yz. 

A couple of friends have Hondas (old and new), and the braking power on their Hondas are just awesome. It's one finger stoppies easily! I was shocked when I tried a crf450 lately...

The brakes on my yz are OK, and way better than on previous older yamahas I've had, but still behind Honda (and maybe other brands).

I'm considering buying the MS from a crf450, but I wanted to ask you guys first. 

Anyone here having the same experience as me? What would you do?

-espkul

I put a stainless braided line and a MotoStuff 280mm oversive rotor on my with the stock pads, more front brake than most people would need probably,  but nice to have when youre in a pinch. The nice thing is the brake is stronger but has good feel to it as its progressive and not super grabby like some brakes.

Start with the honda master cylinder. Leaps and bounds better than yamaha. Both made by the same company but to different specs. If you want more braking power, then by a honda caliper and oem honda pads. (I believe there is a write up that shows how to fit oem honda pads into the Yamaha caliper as another option). Then for even more go to a oversize rotor.

I just rode my friends 2016 crf450. At our local track there's a double single into a left hand corner. On my Yamaha i double then hard on the brakes then jump the single into the corner. On the first lap on the honda i doubled, got hard on the brakes like normal, and came to a complete stop before the single. Luckily there wasn't anyone behind me. Lmao. The braking power was amazing and super smooth. I will be doing to swap on my bike soon.

1 finger stoppies on knobbies with stock brakes? Wow, I sure wouldn't expect that.

i put SS lines and a solid galfer disc on my '14.. the solid disc is way better IMO than the floating one.. my brakes are pretty damn good now.  

Edit 270 rotor.. 

Edited by Drenmaster

i put SS lines and a solid galfer disc on my '14.. the solid disc is way better IMO than the floating one.. my brakes are pretty damn good now.  

Edit 270 rotor.. 

I wonder why it works better for you. What about it do you prefer?

I wonder why it works better for you. What about it do you prefer?

So i have been running the regular galfer 270 rotor for years and it worked great no complaints. Once they release the solid rotor i went and bought it and right away i could tell a difference. its like the initial response was totally different and more sensitive with better feel and feedback. This was not because it was a new rotor, because i never had that feeling with the other rotors when they were new. 

KTM also uses the solid rotors and while there is a lot more to their braking system everyone knows KTM is top notch in that department. 

On the other hand, at least for bikes raced on pavement all the high end brake setups seem to be floating. I imagine that's for a reason. Maybe there's some advantage to solid for dirt.

I've always wondered the pros and cons between solid and floating rotors. Never got a straight answer though.